Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebel Devil Customs just added a new Android 5.1 powered headunit for both the pre-facelift (2011-2014) and facelift (2015-2018) models. They're described as being "non-MFT" compatible but I was wondering if anyone had any more information. I have the ST3 package and MFT obviously but I'm very interested in this new headunit because it's Android powered and can use Waze and a ton of other apps. There's no information for what kind of hookups it uses (whether it be the factory wiring harness or not) so I have no idea if MFT users are going to lose a lot of functionality if they swap it. But this seems like a great product for ST1 owners.

Link to the headunit.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I find it funny that it'll record 1080P video, but the screen itself is near potato status at 1024*600. For the price, it appears to be a good kit, but not for me, no bueno.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is the resolution the same between the sync2 and sync3 8" screens? talk about lo-fi
It's a good way to keep costs down. They don't expect you to be watching videos or anything on it and the display is perfectly fine for displaying navigation, music, etc. The screen's resolution is the reason why any wallpapers need to be 800x384.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rebel Devil Customs just added a new Android 5.1 powered headunit for both the pre-facelift (2011-2014) and facelift (2015-2018) models. They're described as being "non-MFT" compatible but I was wondering if anyone had any more information. I have the ST3 package and MFT obviously but I'm very interested in this new headunit because it's Android powered and can use Waze and a ton of other apps. There's no information for what kind of hookups it uses (whether it be the factory wiring harness or not) so I have no idea if MFT users are going to lose a lot of functionality if they swap it. But this seems like a great product for ST1 owners.

Link to the headunit.
Just grab a Sync 3 unit from a salvage site and replace the MFT, it's pretty much plug and play, with Android Auto you get Waze now... I upgraded my system to Sync 3 and also my USB hub for under $300... just have to dig and find the right unit on a site like LKQonline. I replaced mine with a Sync 3 unit from a 2016 Ford Escape...

I think trying to use one of the RDC units would be about as much of a pain as someone trying to go from Sync 1 to Sync 3... have to change out wire harnesses and whatnot.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just grab a Sync 3 unit from a salvage site and replace the MFT, it's pretty much plug and play, with Android Auto you get Waze now... I upgraded my system to Sync 3 and also my USB hub for under $300... just have to dig and find the right unit on a site like LKQonline. I replaced mine with a Sync 3 unit from a 2016 Ford Escape...

I think trying to use one of the RDC units would be about as much of a pain as someone trying to go from Sync 1 to Sync 3... have to change out wire harnesses and whatnot.
Don't you need to upgrade the GPS unit too?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
They're described as being "non-MFT" compatible but I was wondering if anyone had any more information. I have the ST3 package and MFT obviously but I'm very interested in this new headunit because it's Android powered and can use Waze and a ton of other apps.
no can do. one reason its not compatible with MFT cars is because like the OEM ST1 radio, it has an internal 4ch amp to directly drive the speakers. that radio will not be sending out the correct signal to the 9ch Sony amp, nor would it be able to control that amp over data (so no way to control the volume and other settings)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no can do. one reason its not compatible with MFT cars is because like the OEM ST1 radio, it has an internal 4ch amp to directly drive the speakers. that radio will not be sending out the correct signal to the 9ch Sony amp, nor would it be able to control that amp over data (so no way to control the volume and other settings)
Got it. I'm going to try to source a SYNC 3 module and do the swap but this still seems like a great find for ST1 owners.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

Old thread I know, but what year & trim level is your ST that you upgraded? I have a 2015 ST2 w MFT and I want to get sync 3 but from what I’ve seen it is an expensive pain. How did you do it?

Also, does anyone know if an aftermarket double din screen would work for an ST2? I just want Apple Car Play.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts