Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just bougt a 2017 black ST. Iv'e been driving it for 2 days and it sure is hard to take it easy. This car is fun. I have a couple of questions about clutch efficiency and longevity. When coming up on a stop or red light should roll up in neutral and let off the clutch, or leave the clutch engauged and in gear? Also what about skipping gears like 4th to 6th? Any other tips that might help would be cool too. Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you drive it properly, you should not need to worry about the clutch for a long time. You can skip gears if you want, just know that the nanny in the car will make you have to wait on a 4th to 6th, I find it easier to just use all the gears when driving normally.

If I see a light going red ahead, I will clutch in, neutral, and roll up. If the light goes back to green prior to stopping, so long as I am rolling above a crawl I start in 2nd, if fast enough for 1500rpm in 3rd, I start in 3rd. If I see a light that has already been red, I'll coast in grabing lower gears as needed. I do not hold a clutch in on any car, as I have had a slave cylinder fail on me in the past waiting at a light.

Fear not, so long as you aren't abusing it, our clutch is fairly robust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I downshift from 6th to 5th at 80mph, then I downshift from 5th to 4th at 60 mph, then I shift from 4th to 3rd at 40mph. If coming up to a complete stop I will slow down in 3rd until about 15mph then put in neutral until stopped. The only time I downshift to 2nd or 1st is if I am cornering or turning. Make sure to rev match to prolong the life of your clutch. The stock pedal placement makes it nearly impossible to heel toe so you can buy pedal spacer or just do it the old fashion way

·
Registered
878 Posts
They say it's not good practice to coast in neutral because you can't react and get out of a sticky situation quickly if needed. I usually downshift 6-4-2 then at a stop i'll go to 1. Also sitting in neutral at a stop light in some states is illegal.

I appear to be wrong with the sitting in neutral portion. united states - Is it illegal in any U.S. jurisdiction to be in neutral at a red light? - Skeptics Stack Exchange
lol you updated your post right as I was quoting you...All manual cars are in "neutral" when the clutch is engaged...I can see the Social Rupulic of California making driving a manual vehicle in their territory illegal, but actual states in the US? Seemed unlikely.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I always try to be in the right gear when slowing down. It's much easier to be able to react to something, anything that happens on the roads.

So I'll usually downshift, through each gear, until I'm slow enough to put it in first. I don't like sitting in gear with my foot on the clutch as it helps premature wear and tear (IMHO)

Having said that, I'm usually always looking ahead, in back, left and right to be able to get out of someone's way. I guess you can say I have ADHD when I drive, I'm always doing something at a light.

But I'm a lunatic, so take from that what you will.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If the car is moving I never put it in neutral and coast, you never know when you may need to take evasive action (like a vehicle coming up behind you that isn't slowing down). Its a safety issue. If it is a fairly short wait for the light to change I'll leave it in 1st with the clutch in. If it is a long light, or waiting on some sort of road obstruction, I'll put it in neutral IF the vehicle behind me has already stopped. You should always be ready to take evasive action, and this includes slow speed or stopped.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sitting idle with the clutch can reduce the life of the throw out bearing. If I'm going to be sitting for longer than a few moments, I let out the clutch in neutral and get back in gear when I see the opposing light turn red. Heel and toe can be done in these cars (and I only have average-size feet), but it is a bit of a stretch—gas pedal is a little far away and close to the firewall relative to the brake. I've never actually replaced a clutch from wear and some have done over 200k miles before falling trees/rust/bad drivers have taken the lives of the car first.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Don't people like me fool you, most of us are cool people.

However I am the dull one who will tell you to leave it stock and obey the laws :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Depends. Sometimes I'll clutch in and roll to a stop. If I'm feeling some type of way I'll downshift and roll up to the stop all grumbly and mean :RockOn:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Downshifting through the gears puts more wear on the clutch but saves gas. In the long run save on gas or get longer use out of the clutch plate. Glad I could be of no help here. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Downshifting through the gears puts more wear on the clutch but saves gas. In the long run save on gas or get longer use out of the clutch plate. Glad I could be of no help here. :D
Just a minor addition.
Downshifting without matching the engine revs to the lower gears will cause wear on the clutch, that's correct. The clutch has to slip and take up the speed difference between the engine and the drivetrain.

The proper way is to blip the throttle and match the RPM to the lower gear before the clutch is let back out. This will help to minimize the difference in engine to drivetrain speed and reduce the amount of wear on the clutch. The added benefit is of course the race car vrooms as you're coming to a stop.

Depending on how fast you let the clutch out if you're not rev matching, it can also be a very unpleasant ride for you and your passengers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you guys double clutching all of the time? It's been a while sense i've driven a manual on a regular basis. I never did back in the day.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been driving manual transmission cars for 50 years (yeah, I'm old!) and unless you're driving an 18 wheeler there's no need to double clutch.

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
I've been driving manual transmission cars for 50 years (yeah, I'm old!) and unless you're driving an 18 wheeler there's no need to double clutch.
Well 95 percent true, sometimes if you have a gear thats being stubborn double clutching will get you in it. Like reverse on a 20 degree morning while the car is cold, lol. Not so much with My ST, but several of my previous cars, rofl.

I downshift through the gears, rev match a bit if I care to, then I do sit at lights in gear clutch in most of the time, sometimes I go neutral.

Did 40k before I swapped out my clutch, NOT because i had to, just due to pulling the trans anyway for my LSD. Slave was fine then, but I did put a new OEM slave/release with the new clutch.

This is how i have driven all of my stick cars, never blew a clutch or release bearing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts