Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, FNG here! Looking to get a '16 ST this week. Just checking in. I'm not new to forums, nor turning wrenches. I've had several Mustangs over the years and a few of them new. Lots of experience with racing motorcycles, mainly Ducati. Did all my own maintenance on those too. But, I'm new to the Focus so I'm sure I'll screw up and ask the same old questions, LOL! Picked the ST as a good balance between having a hot rod and an economical, practical car for commuting and road trips and such. Just me and my two kids.

I want to do some mods and tinker with it, but I probably won't go overboard with any major engine mods and such.

So I'll start off with this question while I read and search...What's the basics?? What are those straight out of the gate starter mods (including free ones) that everyone does?? So far I know I should start off with an oil catch can. I'll look into catback exhaust, and I've read a little about some engine mount change??? I don't know diddly squat about turbo's; this is my first turbo, 4 cyl, direct injection car ever! So I'll take any recommendations on the engine side of mods, like intercooler and stuff like that. I know with most cars, CAI's are a waste. So let me know what you think and where to start. Thanks everyone

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Hey guys, FNG here! Looking to get a '16 ST this week. Just checking in. I'm not new to forums, nor turning wrenches. I've had several Mustangs over the years and a few of them new. Lots of experience with racing motorcycles, mainly Ducati. Did all my own maintenance on those too. But, I'm new to the Focus so I'm sure I'll screw up and ask the same old questions, LOL! Picked the ST as a good balance between having a hot rod and an economical, practical car for commuting and road trips and such. Just me and my two kids.

I want to do some mods and tinker with it, but I probably won't go overboard with any major engine mods and such.

So I'll start off with this question while I read and search...What's the basics?? What are those straight out of the gate starter mods (including free ones) that everyone does?? So far I know I should start off with an oil catch can. I'll look into catback exhaust, and I've read a little about some engine mount change??? I don't know diddly squat about turbo's; this is my first turbo, 4 cyl, direct injection car ever! So I'll take any recommendations on the engine side of mods, like intercooler and stuff like that. I know with most cars, CAI's are a waste. So let me know what you think and where to start. Thanks everyone
Ford designed the air intake well and unless you plan on a larger turbo it will be fine; it flows more air the the KO3 turbo can. The intercooler is crap and will heat soak with one wide open throttle run...change it!!! Cobb AccessPort is a good option for tuning; if you get one buy it from one of the tuners that have experience with the ST; check here: https://www.google.com/webhp?source...espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=focus st tuners focusst.org They will sell you an AccessPort with Cobb's tunes on it, their own off the shelf tunes and can custom tune for a price.Down pipe is only worth a few H.P. as well as exhaust, but, for a well rounded basically modded car go with intercooler, downpipe, exhaust and a tune. The sky is the limit from there with big turbos for big power (as long as you get supporting mods like pistons, rods etc.).

Reactions: SFST14

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

Welcome. We have a great tech section on our website if you're interested: https://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=20&zenid=hghm8bdh0nlmevhqmogddqv6a1

Here's a very basic breakdown of the understood modification paths: Blog : Ford Focus ST Modifications Guide by Stratified Auto : Stratified Automotive Controls

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would just drive the car first ...... then whatever you find you don't like about the car, there's probably a modification for it on here.

RMM, Accelerator Pedal Mount, tuning, air filter .. the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Short shifter set-up with solid bushings should be considered.
Best mod ever.
I suggest the BOOMBA Ultimate shift kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts