Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Focus-ST-Spied-5.jpg

By Sam McEachern, Apr 17, 2018

The Ford Focus ST has been spotted putting in laps at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, signaling the hot hatchback’s arrival in early 2019.

The 2020 Focus ST will go on sale soon after the arrival of the mainstream 2019 Focus next year. It’s expected to trade the old 2.0-liter turbocharged engine in for a 1.5-liter turbo from Ford’s new L Dragon family of three-cylinders. We hear this tiny little three-pot will be making up to 275 hp in the new Focus ST, which is a safe bet considering the latest additions to the segment, the Hyundai i30 N and Veloster N, make that much.

In addition to making more power, the 1.5-liter is expected to be more efficient and emissions friendly than the 2.0-liter. The engine is also expected to offer single cylinder deactivation for further fuel savings over the outgoing powerplant.

Like the current Focus ST, the next-generation model will also get exclusive front and rear fascias, sportier wheels wrapped in performance tires, beefed up suspension and some ST-branded interior content.

We’re expecting the 2020 Ford Focus ST to debut sometime later this year before going on sale in early 2019.

New Ford Focus ST May Arrive With 275 HP Three-Cylinder » AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kind of unexpected that it’s a 3 cylinder? The new Fiesta ST is also a 1.5 3-cylinder with about 197 HP. 275 HP is a big bump!

I’m more than happy with the fuel economy of my Focus 1.0 3-cylinder. Be cool to have an ST with 275 HP but not have to give up a ton of fuel economy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't believe that 275 hp 3 cylinder report at all—that's about 40% more power than in reported Fiesta ST trim and nearly 92 hp/cylinder or 183 hp/liter. On a twenty something thousand dollar car meant as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Also very skeptical of this rumour. Good because my 4 banger ST will become more valuable. Stupid Ford, (or stupid emission regulations?) why not make it 4 cyl @ 366 HP if you can get 91HP per cylinder out? Then we would be talking about a hot hatch... or i guess thats what the RS is designed to be.

Actually considering the RS is hitting 350 HP from 4cylinders, the rumoured 3cyl at 275 does seem kind of feesible. Still skeptical though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also very skeptical of this rumour. Good because my 4 banger ST will become more valuable. Stupid Ford, (or stupid emission regulations?) why not make it 4 cyl @ 366 HP if you can get 91HP per cylinder out? Then we would be talking about a hot hatch... or i guess thats what the RS is designed to be.

Actually considering the RS is hitting 350 HP from 4cylinders, the rumoured 3cyl at 275 does seem kind of feesible. Still skeptical though.
The RS is also a much more expensive car with greater displacement per cylinder as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll take a hard pass on a Chinese legislation mandated canal-boat engine on the next ST, thanks. Upgrade the 2.0 to 280hp with the twin-scroll from the RS and some other upgrades and call it a day.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've never heard june, just "later this year"

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I trust AutoGuide for accurate future car predictions about as much as I trust my departed grandmother for information on how to set up my computer for maximum performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts