Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I really like the looks, but not sure why its an ST, sounds like it should have just been the next iteration of the Sport.

"an extra 20 HP and 30 lb-ft" over the sport? Not sure how I feel about that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah I'm not a huge fan. I think if they wanted an ST SUV it should have been on the new ecosport. Would have made a lot more sense in my opinion and kept it in a price range more accessible to most people and younger people who generally buy the STs. It's smaller, lighter, all new to US, and already has an AWD option.

Plus, it should be a manual!

Reactions: ddfred

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm not a huge fan. I think if they wanted an ST SUV it should have been on the new ecosport. Would have made a lot more sense in my opinion and kept it in a price range more accessible to most people and younger people who generally buy the STs. It's smaller, lighter, all new to US, and already has an AWD option.

Plus, it should be a manual!
Yeah, the price point is a no go for most younger buyers. The people who may buy these will be slightly older and not really know what an ST even is or what it represents.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, the price point is a no go for most younger buyers. The people who may buy these will be slightly older and not really know what an ST even is or what it represents.
Yeah, most of them I imagine are the same buyers who would buy the Sport which are generally people who just want all the fancy packages and features.

The ecosport also already has a manual transmission spec'd to it since it has been a european vehicle. Would have been much easier to make an ST ecosport.

And, the ST focus has 92HP more than the regular focus. That's a 57% increase! For the ST edge to be worth it power wise it would need a whole lot more than 30HP increase over the edge sport.

On the other side, it's a great looking SUV, tough and the interior looks nice. Plus the features on it are very attractive; BLIS, evasive steering assist, adaptive cruise control, lane centering, post collision braking, auto high beams, wireless charging pad, dynamic brake support, "Sport Mode", of course the newest Sync3 with Alexa support.
It's got a heck of a lot more features than the Focus ST and in my opinion the Focus the ST should have some of those (it's 2018 for **** sake). But you're going to be paying 15-20 grand more than the Focus ST for all that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, most of them I imagine are the same buyers who would buy the Sport which are generally people who just want all the fancy packages and features.

The ecosport also already has a manual transmission spec'd to it since it has been a european vehicle. Would have been much easier to make an ST ecosport.

And, the ST focus has 98HP more than the regular focus. That's a 57% increase! For the ST edge to be worth it power wise it would need a whole lot more than 30HP increase over the edge sport.

On the other side, it's a great looking SUV, tough and the interior looks nice. Plus the features on it are very attractive; BLIS, evasive steering assist, adaptive cruise control, lane centering, post collision braking, auto high beams, wireless charging pad, dynamic brake support, "Sport Mode", of course the newest Sync3 with Alexa support.
It's got a heck of a lot more features than the Focus ST and in my opinion the Focus the ST should have some of those (it's 2018 for **** sake). But you're going to be paying 15-20 grand more than the Focus ST for all that.
It's all the consequence from 'mericans buying more SUVs, crossovers, and automatics. Maybe this is fords way of saying 'we take away the fiesta ST for you Americans and give you a more than double the price sport SUVcrossoverthing because this is what you want.'

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
It's all the consequence from 'mericans buying more SUVs, crossovers, and automatics. Maybe this is fords way of saying 'we take away the fiesta ST for you Americans and give you a more than double the price sport SUVcrossoverthing because this is what you want.'
SUVs have definitely been on a huge upward climb in the states for a few years. It's the vehicle of choice anymore now that the SUVs are putting out MPGs equivalent to cars. I hate it lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think its a welcome addition, and a good market to tackle. The more sporty SUV/Crossover market does not have a lot of competition, especially under the 50k price point. My wife is in the market for an SUV, if these dont have a ****ty transmission maybe it would be worth looking at.

Reactions: Ginger_snaps4

·
Registered
80 Posts
They should of just called it the new Edge Sport instead of adding the ST moniker.
I would wager they start moving all or most sport models to be ST models instead. To build some sort of brand/trim recognition.

Reactions: lug and angrychair

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like it and hate it at the same time.

The good: I like the look and the market. This absolutely markets the adult who wants to have some fun and some real practicality at the same time. Say what you want about practicality of the FoST, but the back seat is tiny. Any full grown male that has sat back there in mine has been cramped and any close to 6' and up is hitting their head on the roof. The Edge has far more space I'm sure so it'll be great for the cool parent. Enthusiasts will certainly play with it and probably make this a monster soon enough.

The bad: This is a sure enough sign for me that Ford has now gone the way of Chevy where the Cruze Hatch SS is a "cool car". If you want a Ford and want to have fun, you're options are the Mustang or this car. Fiesta is likely gone altogether, AThe RS is done, I'm not sure of the FoST is officially done yet or not, but I don't think it's going to stay. They are completely abandoning the cheap compact/hot hatch stick shift sports car. I don't know if they don't trust themselves anymore after the RS and various ST bricks or what, but there is now no American young and fun sports car available for under 25k.

Now if the US does actually see the 3 cyl ST that Europe is getting in 2019, then I guess it's not so bad.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My thought is the ST's have always been compact hatchbacks and this will not be a true ST...so there!
the st200 was the contour svt which was a sedan as you know. but yes otherwise mostly hatchbacks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was toying with the idea of switching to a Fusion sport recently. My biggest reservation with that is the work I do with dog rescue. I can't fit crates into a sedan like I can a hatchback. But then I saw Ford Performance post something about the Edge ST today and decided this would be a more natural upgrade, getting to stay in the ST family. It seems like a stretch... making an SUV an ST, but I'll take it because it will carry more dogs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't think that this is spelling doom for the FoST. It's true that the RS is done and the Fiesta ST sales are down but I don't think FoST sales have plummeted. If anything, this may just act as another piece of the ST lineup if they were to discontinue the Fiesta ST in the states. That being said, I also think that they should change the Fusion Sport's badge to ST if they're going to add a Edge ST. The Taurus can keep its legendary SHO badge but if Ford wants to add to the ST lineup, the Fusion Sport is a pretty impressive car in its own right. I may be in the minority but I don't see the automatic transmission and scream "THAT'S NOT A ST", but even so, a manual option would be nice.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I really like the looks, but not sure why its an ST, sounds like it should have just been the next iteration of the Sport.

"an extra 20 HP and 30 lb-ft" over the sport? Not sure how I feel about that.
And, the ST focus has 92HP more than the regular focus. That's a 57% increase! For the ST edge to be worth it power wise it would need a whole lot more than 30HP increase over the edge sport.
Well they will no longer have a sport model with the 315hp/350tq, so the next model to compare that to is the standard v6 with 280hp/250tq. So, compared to the v6, the new ST with 335/380 is 55hp/130tq better than the next best option (19.6%/52%)

I'm not going to be in the market, so its probably a moot point for me. I will be watching the car mags and videos when this comes out. Be curious how much better the sport mode and the new trans take advantage of the added power. Same for the handling, be curious to see how it competes with the more expensive sporty SUV/crossovers out there. Then also, how much aftermarket comes into play down the road. Be interesting to see what happens, I'd think they could mod these to get over 400 whp/tq

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Also I'm pretty sure Focus ST sales continue to be great despite FiST and RS dying off. I see way more of them around me now and they're all new looking. Which I love to see despite also loving having a "unique" car around here. I want to see it thrive and more people aware of it. That way it can grow :cool:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts