Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my '13 ST I've ordered a new downpipe with sportcat.

But I don't know what is the best thing to do before mounting it.
On my track car I've heatwrapped the downpipe, but the ST is only for the road.

What are your opinions about it?
The other option is coating it with an exhaust paint, also to protect the steel.
Or just mount it like it is?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts

The other option is coating it with an exhaust paint, also to protect the steel.
Wrapping it isn't really necessary and probably won't do anything other than look different. Some people do it just because it looks cool when you look under the car

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Could have it ceramic coated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ceramic coated could be a good option, but I guess expensive.
There are some good heat exhaust sprays out there to use otherwise.

@ Brian, I think the heatwrap have a very good function of keeping heat into the exhaust, besides the looks. But is it worth it on a street car.

·
Administrator
11,874 Posts

If you have the time, i'd clean it thoroughly, then hit the welds and such with high temp paint, then after a coat or two. Wrap it.

If you plan on doing alot of your own wrenching, maybe
go past the point of return. Then having the dp wrapped saves you from potential burns or extensive cooldown periods.

Keeping the heat in the exhaust is always a benefit. So if you can tackle it, do it.

I wish i wrapped mine. Then again I have more wrenching hours on ST's recreationally then most shops have, lmao, so i knit pick.

Reactions: fordboi415

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Heat wrapping allows partials to be burned off properly? Am I completely off?
Also, I had my exhaust manifold heat treated with a coating, would this provide any benefit? (asking for a friend)
I have the EFR exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Ceramic coated could be a good option, but I guess expensive.
There are some good heat exhaust sprays out there to use otherwise.

@ Brian, I think the heatwrap have a very good function of keeping heat into the exhaust, besides the looks. But is it worth it on a street car.
Had my DP on my previous car ceramic coated... it was a 100 dollar add on... really keeps the heat inside the DP and not in the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
Had my DP on my previous car ceramic coated... it was a 100 dollar add on... really keeps the heat inside the DP and not in the engine bay.
I feel like the downpipe doesn't put too much heat into the engine bay considering where it is located at the very bottom rear of the engine. The turbo probably generates a lot more engine bay heat if I had to guess, but by all means if it's worth the money for OP go ahead. Can't do any harm.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Yeah to be honest havent really looked at the cars DP location yet... just got it... i know in the car i had the thing was tucked in there... let alone a *****ed to swap. Two Studs snapped on the turbo. Just watched a video on a DP install... man that looks so easy... the V-Band makes all the difference...

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
On quite a few other past project cars I have ran both ceramic coating and not. I did not really see any noticeable differences either in the dyno, on the streets, or at the track. I have noticed on past cars that I have wrapped the downpipe, it did seem like the exhaust sound changed a bit.

They say wrapping it can cause the exhaust pipe to retain too much heat and cause tendencies for cracks. I have never had this happen on my past project cars, but I also never daily drove with that setup-- these were all track only cars.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Frankly anytime you can reduce underhood heat, you do it.
If you can retain heat to increase spool, do it (Not really applicable here on the downpipe, short of a turbo wrap) *I wonder if a turbo heat wrap exists here?
Again back to point #1.
There are NO negatives to doing it, other than it costing money.
Yes, with increased heat retention, there is more metal fatigue, but no one can predict what the failure rates would/could be.
There are little to no performance gains in this, not sure where anyone thought that they would. There was a university study commissioned by PTP (biased much) that showed a 1% gain in power/efficiency. This may be great for a long haul trucker or industrial applications, but not a street car.

If you can do it at the time of purchase, or even locally, since some local powder coating shops offer this service, using techline coatings or similar. Heck you could even do it yourself, as long as you have great prep...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
True... it would not be easy to put on either...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts