Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New civic type R production models for the North American market have been unveiled at the latest auto shows, i have to say the pics and video of it look hideous. Way too busy looking, its of course based off the new civic hatchback. Very boy racer looking ×10. The interior and seats look nice. The engine is impressive a turbo charged 2.0 liter with vtec making 300 hp. A LSD to put that all to the ground (wish ford would have stepped up for us) probably priced in the mid 30k range.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I like it. A shame barely anyone is going to buy it though. :/

In its segment...I'd buy it over a WRX/STI since those have garbage engines and cheap/crap interiors. Evo has a good engine but even cheaper/crappier interior, like real bad, such a miserable looking interior for a 2017. But hard for me to say if I would pick CT-R over a Golf R or Focus RS.

I was a Honda fan and got impatient with how long they took to give boost to there cars. Then I bought a Focus ST.

Learned the new Civic SI is only supposed to get a tuned up 1.5T that is already found in the Civic Sport/Hatch. Not missing anything there, the fit/finish and interiors of the new Civic are very nice but not paying ST money which is what any of those 1.5T Civics are going for (base ST prices).

The new Civic SI is getting a 1.5T ... I'd rather get a Fiesta ST instead and go big turbo for the cost difference. And for the CT-R price...Focus RS all the way.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
They professionally riced out the car and aesthetically ruined (and I mean ruined...the Gen 8/9 civics looked so nice) the looks of a really great chassis. I'd take the RS hands down because it scores way higher in the looks department to me, even the outdated new GTI looks more classy and professional. The lap times of the new type r are great but it's gross looking so it loses its appeal from me

·
Registered
244 Posts
They professionally riced out the car and aesthetically ruined (and I mean ruined...the Gen 8/9 civics looked so nice) the looks of a really great chassis. I'd take the RS hands down because it scores way higher in the looks department to me, even the outdated new GTI looks more classy and professional. The lap times of the new type r are great but it's gross looking so it loses its appeal from me
Exactly my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
The newer Honda Civics basically come pre-riced courtesy of Honda with nothing desirable underneath all the bodywork. I've encountered a few new Civic 'hatch backs' which look really stupid, kinda like they forgot they were making a hatchback or did it as an after-thought(it looks like a sedan). I'm sure there is a market for that but that market sticks to parking lot car meets which keeps most other drivers safe.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If they could somehow add trim levels and price it around the FoST's price point, I think the new Type-R would do much better in the market. It's still not a bad platform for the money but I would never be able to get over how ugly it is.

·
Registered
273 Posts
^ The Type R is set to be marketed against the WRX and RS and such, the SI would be comparable to the ST line up.

The Type R has already proven to be very capable around the road course and posted so amazing times.

While I do think it is ugly, very busy and 20s kill it for me, I think it's a start, will see if it somehow gets toned down even more by the time it is released here in the states.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
^ The Type R is set to be marketed against the WRX and RS and such, the SI would be comparable to the ST line up.

The Type R has already proven to be very capable around the road course and posted so amazing times.

While I do think it is ugly, very busy and 20s kill it for me, I think it's a start, will see if it somehow gets toned down even more by the time it is released here in the states.
The WRX and RS aren't in the same class though. The WRX is in the ST's class, so if anything then the type R would be pitted against the RS and the STI (even if it is a dinosaur motor within). The Civic SI typically isn't comparable to the ST I thought also...maybe the Fiesta ST. Depending on the year the weight is the only thing keeping it similar to the ST. Heck heavily modded and near-gutted 8th gen Si's can barely hang with a stage 1 ST.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm building my own Honda for cheap, but it's the version my high school self would have wanted. Picked this up for $2000 about a year ago. Put probably another 4k into it to get it back in really good shape and a rebuilt motor. $2500 dollar turbo kit towards the end of this year and I'll be able to hang just fine with the new one for the most part, and I'll have that old school Honda feel, with the ST as a great daily driver. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Sky

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Maybe its my old age, but the new ct-r is hideous just as a few on here have stated. From the pics Ive seen, it looks like a bunch of gen-y highschoolers collaborated with honda on this one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The WRX and RS aren't in the same class though. The WRX is in the ST's class, so if anything then the type R would be pitted against the RS and the STI (even if it is a dinosaur motor within). The Civic SI typically isn't comparable to the ST I thought also...maybe the Fiesta ST. Depending on the year the weight is the only thing keeping it similar to the ST. Heck heavily modded and near-gutted 8th gen Si's can barely hang with a stage 1 ST.
Sorry, I meant STI, so it's STI, RS and Type R, that' the market, all around the same power level and amenities/features, except the R lacks AWD.
The SI and ST are in the same class, although the SI is a bit cheaper fully loaded than an ST3.

You may be basing not being able to hang off 1 video, but a gutted and modded 8th gen SI can go 12's on tire with a good driver.

I'm building my own Honda for cheap, but it's the version my high school self would have wanted. Picked this up for $2000 about a year ago. Put probably another 4k into it to get it back in really good shape and a rebuilt motor. $2500 dollar turbo kit towards the end of this year and I'll be able to hang just fine with the new one for the most part, and I'll have that old school Honda feel, with the ST as a great daily driver. View attachment 218577
Looking good!
I have a 93, have a new sleeved motor ready to go in once I feel like working on the car again.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Bumper

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.