Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately my first post to this sight isn't a happy one lol. So I was driving home from work in my 2017 focus ST at normal highway speed when all of a sudden my rpms drop to about 1500 and my check engine light comes on. I pull off the highway and notice my temp gauge is pegged all the way up, my oil pressure is 0, and the oil temp is at the lowest possible on the gauge. No other warming lights or anything came on but the car wouldn't go above about 20 mph so I'm assuming it went into some kind of limp mode. So I stop,pop the hood, and see coolant everywhere. The reservoir is completely empty and the engine is extremely hot as you probably guessed. My oil level is good and it doesn't appear there is coolant in my oil or anything like that. Got the car towed to the dealership but they're saying it's going to be a week before they can even look at it. Then to top it off they don't have any loaner cars?. F me right. My reason for posting is just asking for anyone's thoughts or for anyone who has experienced an issue like this with their car. Mine only had 3565 miles on it when this occured to I'm extremely confused as to what could've caused this. I've looked at other posts and heard of loose gaskets or bad radiators but haven't found anything that sounds like the issues I've experienced. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to message me or ask for any more information. I will post what the dealer ultimately says but for now I'm stuck driving a CR-V ?? also, I installed a Cobb shift plate a few days earlier but I'm almost positive this isn't the cause. Thanks for any feedback and have a nice day.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Unfortunately my first post to this sight isn't a happy one lol. So I was driving home from work in my 2017 focus ST at normal highway speed when all of a sudden my rpms drop to about 1500 and my check engine light comes on. I pull off the highway and notice my temp gauge is pegged all the way up, my oil pressure is 0, and the oil temp is at the lowest possible on the gauge. No other warming lights or anything came on but the car wouldn't go above about 20 mph so I'm assuming it went into some kind of limp mode. So I stop,pop the hood, and see coolant everywhere. The reservoir is completely empty and the engine is extremely hot as you probably guessed. My oil level is good and it doesn't appear there is coolant in my oil or anything like that. Got the car towed to the dealership but they're saying it's going to be a week before they can even look at it. Then to top it off they don't have any loaner cars?. F me right. My reason for posting is just asking for anyone's thoughts or for anyone who has experienced an issue like this with their car. Mine only had 3565 miles on it when this occured to I'm extremely confused as to what could've caused this. I've looked at other posts and heard of loose gaskets or bad radiators but haven't found anything that sounds like the issues I've experienced. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to message me or ask for any more information. I will post what the dealer ultimately says but for now I'm stuck driving a CR-V ?? also, I installed a Cobb shift plate a few days earlier but I'm almost positive this isn't the cause. Thanks for any feedback and have a nice day.
Unless your Cobb shift plate flew off and punctured a hose or the radiator, I wouldn't worry about that!! No loaner to me is BS. If a car that new had a failure that bad, that's on them. Are there any other dealers you can call nearby?

·
Administrator
11,893 Posts
Unless your Cobb shift plate flew off and punctured a hose or the radiator, I wouldn't worry about that!! No loaner to me is BS. If a car that new had a failure that bad, that's on them. Are there any other dealers you can call nearby?
Well, if the op drove out the roll pin to install the shift bracket, then its very possible to damage the radiator. Which would suck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got a call from the dealership. The problem ended up being a puncture on the inside of the radiator. This will be covered under warranty thankfully. They didn't make any mention of the shift plate so I'm assuming this was something on their end. Can't wait to have it back!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, don't feel bad. Mine had a hose minutely angled incorrectly from the factory and I couldn't find a coolant leak. I kept losing coolant and it took the dealership two days of pressure testing to find it. Shift kits are wonderful. Add a low restriction filter and a 2.3 throttle body, a res delete and cheap mods become so much fun (without a tune).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts