Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am in the middle of getting new brakes for my 13 st
I ordered hawk hps yesterday now to decide on rotors
should i just go with the oe through the ford parts department or what other options is there?
what brake fluid should i go with

·
Registered
802 Posts
Depends what you intend to do. If it's just daily driver/street use you'd be fine with OEM rotors and regular DOT3. Track use you might want slotted rotors from StopTech or EBC or one of those well known brands, but HPS isn't really a track pad. Stay away from drilled rotors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Depends what you intend to do. If it's just daily driver/street use you'd be fine with OEM rotors and regular DOT3. Track use you might want slotted rotors from StopTech or EBC or one of those well known brands, but HPS isn't really a track pad. Stay away from drilled rotors.
Any specific reason to stay away from drilled?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Time to upgrade to the 13.1 brakes, I just did and total cost was $430, sourcing all parts off Ebay. I got Hawk HPS pads and Brakenetic Rotors (Drilled and Slotted) for $200 for all 4. Most people will say to stay away from slotted but you will be fine, I am not worried in the slightest bit. They have been fine on all my cars under heavy use, guess it's always a roll of the dice.

Rotors I picked up:

FRONT+REAR SET TOPBRAKES Performance Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors 335mm TBS57848 | eBay

Link to 13.1 upgrade
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-brakes/36021-12-6-13-1-upgrade.html

·
Registered
802 Posts
They crack easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And provide no real performance benefit. Slotted are fine and will improve performance slightly, but drilled is just an appearance item on modern brakes, and a stress concentrator that will lead to cracks eventually.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with the 13.1 upgrade on a '13. If you're throwing down hundreds of dollars and want performance just get a full RS swap. There's a long detailed thread about it.

Reactions: midweSTST

·
Registered
273 Posts
And provide no real performance benefit. Slotted are fine and will improve performance slightly, but drilled is just an appearance item on modern brakes, and a stress concentrator that will lead to cracks eventually.
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with the 13.1 upgrade on a '13. If you're throwing down hundreds of dollars and want performance just get a full RS swap. There's a long detailed thread about it.
Not all will crack, all depends on 34232434 different variables.

I was going with the RS setup but, to do all 4 brakes with the RS fronts, it will end up being like $800 or more depending on where you source the parts from and the core fees.

Then most places are running 3 months or so out.

I ended up going the 13.1 route because I needed to get the brakes done sooner than later and got all my parts in 2 days.

·
Registered
321 Posts
How do they compare to the F1s?
I wonder how they would do on the track? I am seriously considering them for my next track day...

CrashMW

·
Registered
768 Posts
I will not argue against full on track conditions, but I have NEVER seen a set of cross drillled rotors crack. Maybe no performance gain to cross drilled rotors (which I don't agree with), but certainly no loss either. An why not buy cross drilled rotors for their aesthetic benefits? You buy so much other crap for your car for that reason, why is it a bad thing for brakes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unlike a lip or stickers, brakes failing can cause accidents. Cross drilled rotors are no longer necessary due to improvements in pad design and materials, and the holes create stress risers and localized thermal gradients. These 'hotspots' (for lack of a better term) result in uneven thermal expansion across the rotor, leading to internal strain and eventually the formation and propagation of surface cracks. If you need the additional bite, slotted rotors look cool too, and are functional and safe.

Now, if you're just using it as a daily driver, crossdrilled rotors are perfectly fine. The only difference vs solid face rotors of identical size is the slight reduction in thermal mass due to the removed material.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Unlike a lip or stickers, brakes failing can cause accidents. Cross drilled rotors are no longer necessary due to improvements in pad design and materials, and the holes create stress risers and localized thermal gradients. These 'hotspots' (for lack of a better term) result in uneven thermal expansion across the rotor, leading to internal strain and eventually the formation and propagation of surface cracks. If you need the additional bite, slotted rotors look cool too, and are functional and safe.

Now, if you're just using it as a daily driver, crossdrilled rotors are perfectly fine. The only difference vs solid face rotors of identical size is the slight reduction in thermal mass due to the removed material.
Spot on statements!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts