Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's spring and it's time to install my Mountune uprated diverter value that I bought over the winter. I opened the packaging and hooked a manual vacuum pump to test the value before putting it in the car and noticed that it seems very "sticky" when opening and closing. It takes about 22 - 23 inHg to open the valve and then it closes at about 7 inHg. When the valve opens it snaps from fully closed to fully open. Sometimes it opens a little then eventually all the way, but in all cases it seems to need a very large vacuum value to open and it snaps.

Would you recommend lubricating the valve prior to installation? What type of oil / lubricate would you recommend? I have a seem some other threads regarding turbosmart valves that use uni-glide, hydraulic or sewing machine oil. Can't say I have any of that lying around though.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's brand new. I was making sure everything was "ok" before installing it. I'll contact Mountune and see what they say.

Just to continue the thread what would you recommend to lubricate the valve when clean it at a later date? In the past (vw 1.8t days) the Bailey valve that I installed lasted over 130k with no real maintenance. It always seemed to open and close just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got a reply from Mountune. They said they have never had any issues with these valves and requested a video of the valve in action.

Here is what I sent them. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6aK3uynFmgMYTNvX2xyc0F2LTA?usp=sharing

Not sure if anyone else has seen anything like this but it just seems to be a very high vacuum required to open the valve and it opens inconsistently. Sometimes just a crack at 8-10 inHg then finally snaps open at 20 inHg.

Regardless I will be sending it back for inspection / replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to followup and end this post. Per Mountune's request I shipped back the valve I believed defective. They shipped me a new replacement valve.

The difference between the old and new is night and day. The old valve was definitively defective. Something was clearly wrong with it, whether the piston was misaligned in the bottom housing or something else. The new valve has a smooth action and opens/closes with normal vacuum levels. The top cover that sandwiches the piston between the bottom half seems to fine much tighter too. There is no slight air gap between the halves.

While I still believe these valves are of high quality, defects do happen and turbos are expensive. It does not take much to do a quick check on this type of component (regardless of manufacturer) before installing.

Mountune was willing to work with me to resolve my issue which was a positive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Wow, good thing you tested beforehand. I bought mine over the winter too, but haven't installed it yet. Maybe I'll test it too, make sure it was only one bad bpv and not a batch.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top