Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For those of you still watching this thread - about to buy my first round of mods, give me feedback on my plan:
1. Whoosh Performance FMIC
2. filter (maybe the RS lid)
3. BOV + Symposer delete and true vacuum hookup
4. 25mm spacers
5. Resonator delete
6. Pro-tune, I was thinking through Edge Motorsport mostly because I have seen their tuning videos on Youtube and like what I am seeing/hearing from them.

I really want to get a cat-back but the Cobb one is the one I want and it's hard to justify that when I can get actual performance doing the things above.

Overall I would like to keep the first round of mods to $1500 or less and get as much as I can. Not trying to make it crazy fast or anything, but my goal for the time being is to get to 270hp, and it will probably stay that way while I work on the looks until I decide to go with a larger turbo (probably next year some time) with the ultimate goal of being in the mid 300s and keep the car reliable and easy to live with.

Registered
Looks pretty good. Gotta think a bit ahead though, if you're planning bigger power later (more mods) you'll be forking out for another tune (probably discounted, but I don't know how that works with everyone*).

#1 & #2 don't require any tune, and will get immediate benefits with stock ECU learning.

Personally, I really love the sound of the Ford Performance/Borla exhaust. The price is a bit much, and the performance won't be noticed until you're already at close to the peak of your planned output. It will sound righteous though, haha.

Do you already have a Rear Motor Mount? If not, definitely add that to the initial list.

One 'non-performance' suggestion is to get something like the https://smile.amazon.com/ScanTool-O...53826&sprefix=mx+bluetooth+,garden,186&sr=8-3

If you're looking for making the most out of the available features and customizing your cars behavior (kill the double-honk when you close the doors with the car running type mods), I recommend getting something like that to communicate via a laptop and Forscan. Minor annoyances added up for me, but thanks to this amazing community I was able to solve all but the dome light and DRL's (that required wiring in switches, which makes me feel like I'm driving Knight Rider... muahahaha).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looks pretty good. Gotta think a bit ahead though, if you're planning bigger power later (more mods) you'll be forking out for another tune (probably discounted, but I don't know how that works with everyone*).

#1 & #2 don't require any tune, and will get immediate benefits with stock ECU learning.

Personally, I really love the sound of the Ford Performance/Borla exhaust. The price is a bit much, and the performance won't be noticed until you're already at close to the peak of your planned output. It will sound righteous though, haha.

Do you already have a Rear Motor Mount? If not, definitely add that to the initial list.

One 'non-performance' suggestion is to get something like the https://smile.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2R20UT86SVNUM&dchild=1&keywords=mx+bluetooth+obd2&qid=1620953826&sprefix=mx+bluetooth+,garden,186&sr=8-3

If you're looking for making the most out of the available features and customizing your cars behavior (kill the double-honk when you close the doors with the car running type mods), I recommend getting something like that to communicate via a laptop and Forscan. Minor annoyances added up for me, but thanks to this amazing community I was able to solve all but the dome light and DRL's (that required wiring in switches, which makes me feel like I'm driving Knight Rider... muahahaha).
No RMM yet, maybe I will just stick with an OTS Cobb tune (guess Stage 2 OTS tune would be acceptable with the mods) and do some smaller thing like the RMM and shifter bushings.

I also have the forscan stuff in the back of my mind - that is something that is cheap enough to start though that I am not really thinking about it when it comes to mods. I will probably order something to do that in the next week or two. I really want to have the navigation turns on the center stack and the honking while it's running is really annoying. Everyone is always looking at me dirty when I get out of my car and it's running like I was honking at them lol.

Registered
Yeah, that double-honk b/s scares little children... :poop:

I got the COBB package that came with the AP, filter, & RMM. It was a solid deal for those items, but you'll be missing out if you order the AP direct from a tuner.

That, and I use an AEM dryflow filter, so I just sold the COBB one for cheap, lol.

Registered
I mean, you'd be missing out on the COBB AP + tune discount that most tuners' offer. Just to clarify.

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
Do the high flow filter, keep the closed lid. Id recommend adding a downpipe to your stock exhaust so you can pro tune straight to stage 3, and skip out on the wheel spacers for later. Downpipe and resonator Delete sounds really good with the stock muffler as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Do the high flow filter, keep the closed lid. Id recommend adding a downpipe to your stock exhaust so you can pro tune straight to stage 3, and skip out on the wheel spacers for later. Downpipe and resonator Delete sounds really good with the stock muffler as well.
Any recommendations? Would have to be catted because they do emissions testing here and I don't want to deal with having to swap out my exhaust every year for inspection. I am too old for that ****. lol.

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
Any recommendations? Would have to be catted because they do emissions testing here and I don't want to deal with having to swap out my exhaust every year for inspection. I am too old for that ****. lol.
Unless you shell out big bucks for the Cobb Gesi downpipe, you'll Have to use a defouler regardless.

I recommend whichever model you can find with a long flex section to prevent false knock. I recommend shopping across the pond, there are a few UK brands that have long flex sections. Milltek, Airtec, Mongoose, Dreamscience, etc.

Super Moderator
That's why you slip a defouler on the o2 sensor. Something like this;

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks everyone, I will probably go with the Cobb one some time later this year. I am OK spending a little extra for a catted DP.

Registered
That's why you slip a defouler on the o2 sensor. Something like this;
OOooooohhhhhHHH! Tricky tricky! Why you gotta temp me?!?! I'm gonna simulate the flow change for that (if I still have access to the license for the software, that is). Looks like a great piece. 馃

Registered

Super Moderator

Registered
Holy cow... It was under $400 when I bought mine. WTH happened?! I'm lucky, Summit has a distributor close by, and they have a 'beat a price' deal where you just link them the online dealer with a better price. Still, that's effin' nuts for a catted DP! I hope the performance is through the roof (for 2.5" dia. lol).

Registered
Here:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here:
That's actually pretty reasonable. Tempting to just go filter, FMIC that DP and a tune. It says 2013 ST, is there any difference between the '13 and '16 that would prevent this from working? From my research that answer is no.

Super Moderator
That's actually pretty reasonable. Tempting to just go filter, FMIC that DP and a tune. It says 2013 ST, is there any difference between the '13 and '16 that would prevent this from working? From my research that answer is no.
Your research is accurate.

Reactions: VoxVirtus
21 - 37 of 37 Posts