Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, very excited to be here, since it means that after 6 months of looking I FINALLY was able to find one that met my requirements. Really hot market for these cars right now it appears.

Anyhow, I just purchased a 2016 ST3 in Kona Blue. It is completely stock w/ 40k miles.

I live in the Austin, TX area and have 2 kids. Really hoping to find a mature group of people to do cruises and maybe the odd track day here and there with.

Needs some paint correction, and possible a respray on the hood at some point. The previous owner must have lived on a gravel road or something, and the touchups they did are pretty garbage. I will get that straightened out eventually, but for now just planning on some light mods:

catback
Filter
RMM
tune
and probably replace the shifter bushing, feels like the ones in mine are pretty blown out but haven't really looked. Just enjoying having something fun again for the first time since I got rid of my stage 3 Neon SRT-4

Anyway, here she is:

·
Super Moderator
9,771 Posts
Hey everyone, very excited to be here, since it means that after 6 months of looking I FINALLY was able to find one that met my requirements. Really hot market for these cars right now it appears.

Anyhow, I just purchased a 2016 ST3 in Kona Blue. It is completely stock w/ 40k miles.

I live in the Austin, TX area and have 2 kids. Really hoping to find a mature group of people to do cruises and maybe the odd track day here and there with.

Needs some paint correction, and possible a respray on the hood at some point. The previous owner must have lived on a gravel road or something, and the touchups they did are pretty garbage. I will get that straightened out eventually, but for now just planning on some light mods:

catback
Filter
RMM
tune
and probably replace the shifter bushing, feels like the ones in mine are pretty blown out but haven't really looked. Just enjoying having something fun again for the first time since I got rid of my stage 3 Neon SRT-4

Anyway, here she is:

View attachment 390843
Get an intercooler prior to tuning, preferably one of the first mods. The factory intercooler absolutely sucks and heat soaks very quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Get an intercooler prior to tuning, preferably one of the first mods. The factory intercooler absolutely sucks and heat soaks very quickly.
Yea, intercooler is definitely going to be on the list now that you mention it. I am not going crazy with the tune with the factory one on there since I know that heat soak is an issue with these cars.

Was thinking that would come at or around the same time as the catted down pipe

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,928 Posts
Welcome! Also i second the intercooler, even if you never plan to tune. It will allow the stock calibration to apply full power in every gear, versus gradually de-rating the longer you're keeping your foot in it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome aboard. Get an intercooler first thing and you and your car will be happy.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Very nice purchase! That's my favorite color ST I think, but nothing available when I went to trade it for 1000 miles, lol. Welcome to the club here.

As far as Austin, you should look up some track time at Harris Hill Raceway. Very cool club there with a few fun days scheduled for BYOC. Not sure if they need some HPDE or whatever previous experience, but my friend always gets me through the door & just sign the waver. It's been awhile, and 2.5 hours away :p

Reactions: VoxVirtus

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice purchase! That's my favorite color ST I think, but nothing available when I went to trade it for 1000 miles, lol. Welcome to the club here.

As far as Austin, you should look up some track time at Harris Hill Raceway. Very cool club there with a few fun days scheduled for BYOC. Not sure if they need some HPDE or whatever previous experience, but my friend always gets me through the door & just sign the waver. It's been awhile, and 2.5 hours away :p
was looking at doing a membership with them in the nearish future

drove my srt-4 there around when they first opened

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nice, I was just talking about trying the spray-on ceramic type wax. Share an update with how it holds up, if you don't mind =-D

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
25 Posts
Nice, I was just talking about trying the spray-on ceramic type wax. Share an update with how it holds up, if you don't mind =-D
We had one of our first sunny warm days last week in my area, and in the sunlight I discoverd that the previous owner of mine tried to do some paint correction on the hood, and did not do a good job AT ALL.... so I have to work on getting mine clay barred, polished and I think ill ceramic mine too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For sure. It's supposed to rain today. You could tell there was some protection on it right after doing it. Decent water heading and the paint felt slick. Not as good as a hand wax, but you can tell something stuck.

I will report back in a couple weeks.

Drove over some dirty water on the street and it came off easily with a little detailers spray and a buffing cloth.

Not happy with the hood and passenger side because the sun was beating on it while I was applying. Probably will clear up with another wash.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yeah, driving in city traffic just kicks up too much debris... I put a layer of the 3M film from the edge of my hood ~ 4 inches up. I did a better job on my Wife's car, of course, but it's pretty slick. Everything behind it is chipped like crazy, & I am not even at 30K miles yet on this new one. The paint isn't the best, but just non-stop construction killing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So first real rain since I have washed the car with the Meguires Ceramic stuff and can tell you that you can tell there is definitely SOME protection going on there. The water beads up decently, but not anywhere near what you would get from a legit wax or ceramic coating. I didn't have to use my windshield wipers at all for what it's worth.

It's pretty much bang on what I expected, and much easier to do than a hand wax or ceramic coating. I talked to a detail shop in my area, the owner has a FiST that they're installing a hybrid turbo on, so I am going to hand off the touchup paint to him and have a basic paint correction and ceramic coating done at some point over the next couple of months. I will try to get some pictures on my lunch break.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like you could do with one of these bud. View attachment 391004
Was this hard to apply? I get super apprehensive apply vinyl/sticker because I always worry that I am going to screw it up. May see if the place that did my tint can cut me a deal on some PPF or something after I get the existing paint issues resolved.

Carvana definitely resprayed the front bumper, but did a decent job. I can tell because there was still some masking tape around the passenger side headlight that I noticed when I was washing it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts