Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I purchased a new 2016 Focus ST2 about a month ago. I've since put 1300 miles on it (350 city/highway, then 600 mile road-trip, then rest commuting.)

I like the car but I've run into a bit of a problem: It just doesn't want to shift up smoothly. Now this is the first manual car I've owned but certainly not the first I've driven or even the first new one I've driven and I've never experienced this before. It's basically intermittently where getting into second, third, and fifth feels like I'm pushing the shifter through rocks to get into gear. I've also been babying the car, keeping at low speed, low revs, and always shifting below 3k rpm.

So what gives? Did I get unlucky and get a gearbox with lemon synchros? Is my clutch screwed? I'm really not sure if I should wait it out or go back to the dealer and hope the warranty covers whatever may be wrong with it.

I want to love this car but I need it to shift smoothly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The longer you wait the more likely they are to shirk responsibility with something like the transmission because they can try to blame it on your driving habits if it is related to the clutch.

My personal experience...I had an automatic rebuilt that had a sticky shifter that eventually broke in, and there were a few times my 2016 ST was a little resistant to go into gear, but it eventually loosened up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like the title says, I purchased a new 2016 Focus ST2 about a month ago. I've since put 1300 miles on it (350 city/highway, then 600 mile road-trip, then rest commuting.)

I like the car but I've run into a bit of a problem: It just doesn't want to shift up smoothly. Now this is the first manual car I've owned but certainly not the first I've driven or even the first new one I've driven and I've never experienced this before. It's basically intermittently where getting into second, third, and fifth feels like I'm pushing the shifter through rocks to get into gear. I've also been babying the car, keeping at low speed, low revs, and always shifting below 3k rpm.

So what gives? Did I get unlucky and get a gearbox with lemon synchros? Is my clutch screwed? I'm really not sure if I should wait it out or go back to the dealer and hope the warranty covers whatever may be wrong with it.

I want to love this car but I need it to shift smoothly.
I bought my ST3 a month ago to be exact. Only shifting concern is going from 2nd to 3rd, when going into 3rd I feel like I sorta have to force it in there. Not such a smooth shift. But if yours is like a force in there, I would definitely get it checked out cause if it gets worst they'll try and say you kept driving like that and try not to cover it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah, I'm with the other guys here... if it's a legit concern, take it in.

Odds are very good they'll say it's fine and send you on your way but getting your concern documented early is worth your time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the same issue sometimes also. I have 1738 miles on my 2016 ST2. 2nd and 3rd you have to force. But when I try to recreate the issue it goes in smoothly. If you turn off traction control (Sport Mode), shifting through the gears feels more solid and I never have a issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the same issue sometimes also. I have 1738 miles on my 2016 ST2. 2nd and 3rd you have to force. But when I try to recreate the issue it goes in smoothly. If you turn off traction control (Sport Mode), shifting through the gears feels more solid and I never have a issue.

Agree with this!! First time shifting to 2nd & 3rd feels a bit rough but then going neutral and back to third, it's all cherry! Pretty weird. Yet to try it with TC off. Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Think it's just a strange path from 2-3 shifting gate. You really have to pay attention to get it perfectly smooth but I've never had any struggle getting into any gear. Sometimes a little notchy to first and third usually but nothing I'd consider abnormal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is 16' and has same issue.
I'll try with TC off tomorrow and see if it helps. I think break in period is longer then you expect. I own fiesta SE also and that shifter is great. It's got almost 50k miles on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was considering the Ford racing short shifter assembly to replace my stock shifter to remedy the situation.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I was considering the Ford racing short shifter assembly to replace my stock shifter to remedy the situation.

I have the boomba short shifter and breedt tranny plate, so I have effectively replaced all those parts. I STILL get some trouble going to 5th from 4th, you really have to force/push it up and in there sometimes. I also feel like a bit of this problem is with my shifting, the shift pattern is a little different than the one in my head, so I need to practice and focus on it until I have it down smooth. I noticed it shifts great most the time, so I really think I just need to alter my actions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Only trouble I have is shifting from 1->2. I really gotta flex my bicep to get it into gear lol. I have a FSwerks short shifter plate set to 30%. I will say I didn't really have this problem before the plate but I deal with it because the rest of the shifting experience is better compared to stock.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,528 Posts

I don't think changing the shifter is the solution; if it's hard to get into gear take it in to Ford ASAP.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Only trouble I have is shifting from 1->2. I really gotta flex my bicep to get it into gear lol. I have a FSwerks short shifter plate set to 30%. I will say I didn't really have this problem before the plate but I deal with it because the rest of the shifting experience is better compared to stock.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
When I shortened my shifting up it really made R-1&2 harder, but that isn't ford's fault.

Reactions: SC_FoST248

·
Registered
72 Posts
My car has always been notchy and resistant intermittently from the factory. It has got better with age and I have 28k on mine. There is almost a technique that has to be learned to get it perfect. I find that if you put a little light pressure on the shifter right before pushing in the clutch that the shifter almost falls into gear. 3rd still feels notchy and you can see the shifter kind of moving when being pushed into gear sometimes but it is much better after a stiffer RMM and shifter upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
8,528 Posts
My car has always been notchy and resistant intermittently from the factory. It has got better with age and I have 28k on mine. There is almost a technique that has to be learned to get it perfect. I find that if you put a little light pressure on the shifter right before pushing in the clutch that the shifter almost falls into gear. 3rd still feels notchy and you can see the shifter kind of moving when being pushed into gear sometimes but it is much better after a stiffer RMM and shifter upgrades.
Have you changed the trans fluid? Get some Motul DCTF, it's better than the factory stuff. I changed mine at 25,000 and will continue at 25,000 intervals. Smooth shifts...

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-Multi-...d=1477485146&sr=8-1&keywords=motul+multi+dctf

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you changed the trans fluid? Get some Motul DCTF, it's better than the factory stuff. I changed mine at 25,000 and will continue at 25,000 intervals. Smooth shifts...

https://www.amazon.com/Motul-Multi-...d=1477485146&sr=8-1&keywords=motul+multi+dctf
Funny you say that. I am actually planning on doing this at ~30k during my next oil change, glad to hear it makes a difference!

I will say that this transmission is honestly one of the better ones I have driven. Both Civic Sis I had would grind (loud grind that sounded like you shifted without the clutch) on the 1-2 shift if I tried shifting reasonably quick at high RPM.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I installed a Mountune quick-shift on my 16'. And I also put in the FSWerks cable bracket bushings. I've noticed 1st to 2nd has become marginally stiffer, but 4th to 5th improved. Reverse became even stiffer, but that doesn't bother me. One thing I have noticed since the day of purchase is that sometimes it shifts very smoothly. But ther are times where it has a slight mechanical feel, kind of like a "notch-notch" feel when going into gear (mostly 4th to 5th). And yes, I am making sure that the clutch is going to the floor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts