Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my new(former ford exec demo car, 6,500 miles and got a hell of a deal on it) Friday and I've been absolutely loving it. I've missed driving a fun manual around. (I drove a 07 VW GLI for 4-5 years)

We had extremely low temps last night, but I've never experienced this before. This morning when I went to leave for work I started the car and I could not move my shifter really at all. I let it sit for a few min but had to move it around quite a bit to thaw it out I guess, after I got it into gear I was driving fine and I kept trying to get it into reverse while I was at a stoplight and it was difficult. After my 15 min drive to work everything is fine now but is this due to cold weather or is there something wrong? Like I said I drove a manual for years and never had this issue before.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The only thing I can think of, is the shifter linkage may have gotten wet and froze. might need to lube the linkage, it's pretty easy to get too. Dealer may have washed the engine bay causing the linkage to freeze in the cold weather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I can think of, is the shifter linkage may have gotten wet and froze. might need to lube the linkage, it's pretty easy to get too.
It was all rainy yesterday and the day before plus I hadn't driven it since before the temps dropped. I'll see how it goes the next few days.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I often have to wiggle it into 1st and reverse when it's cold in my 14

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wasn't there a member who had issues and found an acorn or walnut interfering with the linkage?

Take a look down there and make sure a rock or something isn't jamming up the works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a '13 and the shifter is sticky on cold mornings. To get it into reverse I will go into first and then into reverse. Sometimes it requires running through multiple gears before it will go into reverse without jamming it in there. I've never actually looked at any of the cables or shift linkages but wouldn't something like a silicone spray help keep them from sticking? I might see what the dealership says.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought my new(former ford exec demo car, 6,500 miles and got a hell of a deal on it) Friday and I've been absolutely loving it. I've missed driving a fun manual around. (I drove a 07 VW GLI for 4-5 years)

We had extremely low temps last night, but I've never experienced this before. This morning when I went to leave for work I started the car and I could not move my shifter really at all. I let it sit for a few min but had to move it around quite a bit to thaw it out I guess, after I got it into gear I was driving fine and I kept trying to get it into reverse while I was at a stoplight and it was difficult. After my 15 min drive to work everything is fine now but is this due to cold weather or is there something wrong? Like I said I drove a manual for years and never had this issue before.
Literally every manual i have had has been hard to get into gear at first start up on cold mornings. My VR6 with the O2M trans did it and the garage M1 mazda transmission did it. I always go through the gears quick if it sticks and It will always free up. The only reason I can think it does this is because 1st and reverse are not used for long periods of time so they really never wear, so on cold mornings while everything contracted the gears and syncs are a little tight. Once some heat is added and the parts expand the problem goes away. This is my theory on the issue, but it seems to be pretty logical.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Literally every manual i have had has been hard to get into gear at first start up on cold mornings. My VR6 with the O2M trans did it and the garage M1 mazda transmission did it. I always go through the gears quick if it sticks and It will always free up. The only reason I can think it does this is because 1st and reverse are not used for long periods of time so they really never wear, so on cold mornings while everything contracted the gears and syncs are a little tight. Once some heat is added and the parts expand the problem goes away. This is my theory on the issue, but it seems to be pretty logical.

Correct. The fluid in every manual will be a little thick on a cold morning. I usually just go on and off the clutch a few times and it will fall right into gear when it finds a shaft speed it likes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is tough on cold mornings too but its butter smooth compared to my MT82 in my 2015 Mustang.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts