Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes already an annoying little creak/noise coming from rear passenger hatch/door. I've checked the rear door and the weather stripping around it seems to crackle a little when I bend it a little. Doubt that could be doing it. Checked the spare tire area, the styrofoam on the right side was not locked down, I locked it down on the protruding screw and I did notice a little plastic funnel in one of the carpets sitting freely so I secured in one of the little styrofoam compartments.

Will try again in a bit to see if any of that changed anything but I'm doubtful. I think it's going to be a dealer trip. Of course my g/f can't hear the sound at all. I'm like, really? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Yes already an annoying little creak/noise coming from rear passenger hatch/door. I've checked the rear door and the weather stripping around it seems to crackle a little when I bend it a little. Doubt that could be doing it. Checked the spare tire area, the styrofoam on the right side was not locked down, I locked it down on the protruding screw and I did notice a little plastic funnel in one of the carpets sitting freely so I secured in one of the little styrofoam compartments.

Will try again in a bit to see if any of that changed anything but I'm doubtful. I think it's going to be a dealer trip. Of course my g/f can't hear the sound at all. I'm like, really? LOL
Adjust the bump stops on the hatch. The side piece pops off then there is a screw you can loosen and adjust in there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjust the bump stops on the hatch. The side piece pops off then there is a screw you can loosen and adjust in there.
Is that the rubber piece right above the hatchback's struts on the door?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Is that the rubber piece right above the hatchback's struts on the door?
Yeah that's it, the side panels will pop off (1 inch by 1 inch panel). Then there is a screw under there you can loosen and adjust. I loosened mine till there was still a bit of tension, then closed the hatch very softly, opened it back up then tightened them down.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had a rattle that was driving me nuts. I had to remove my granddaughter's booster seat to haul something, and the rattle stopped. :confused:
The booster seat was causing the noise sitting on the leather seats.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's it, the side panels will pop off (1 inch by 1 inch panel). Then there is a screw under there you can loosen and adjust. I loosened mine till there was still a bit of tension, then closed the hatch very softly, opened it back up then tightened them down.
So you loosened on both sides and just tightened them down all the way the way they were originally? In that case, what would actually change?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
So you loosened on both sides and just tightened them down all the way the way they were originally? In that case, what would actually change?
Mine were adjusted to far out, so when loosening them it allowed them to move. So when I closed the hatch it set them to where the should be so I opened the hatch then tightened them up after they were set.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine were adjusted to far out, so when loosening them it allowed them to move. So when I closed the hatch it set them to where the should be so I opened the hatch then tightened them up after they were set.
Ok thanks, I'll give it shot.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Pretty sure it's going to be the weatherstripping.

I've had it happen on both my 2015 and 2016 ST... specifically the weatherstripping that attaches to the body of the car for both of the rear doors. Anytime the car flexes a bit, that stripping creaks from movement. And anytime there's moisture around (aka, when it rains), they're silent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty sure it's going to be the weatherstripping.

I've had it happen on both my 2015 and 2016 ST... specifically the weatherstripping that attaches to the body of the car for both of the rear doors. Anytime the car flexes a bit, that stripping creaks from movement. And anytime there's moisture around (aka, when it rains), they're silent.
Funny you say that. I flexed the weatherstripping on the rear passenger door and heard it creak/crackle similar to the sounds I was hearing and near the same spot. I did the same on the driver rear door and it made the same sound but less. However, I never hear anything on the driver side. Only the passenger side. And being it's a firm riding car, I hear it a lot a low speeds especially. On freeway slabs, I don't hear it much.

Hmmm....it is kind of annoying. Haven't tested rain yet b/c it hasn't rained yet here in SoCal since I bought it. And I hardly ever drive it in the rain to boot.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You guys are lucky. I've lost 70% of the hearing in my right ear. I can't tell where any of the various noises come from, just know that they bug the ever loving **** out of me. FML!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Funny you say that. I flexed the weatherstripping on the rear passenger door and heard it creak/crackle similar to the sounds I was hearing and near the same spot. I did the same on the driver rear door and it made the same sound but less. However, I never hear anything on the driver side. Only the passenger side. And being it's a firm riding car, I hear it a lot a low speeds especially. On freeway slabs, I don't hear it much.

Hmmm....it is kind of annoying. Haven't tested rain yet b/c it hasn't rained yet here in SoCal since I bought it. And I hardly ever drive it in the rain to boot.
We both have the same situation.

My rear passenger door seal makes the most noise too. Your drivers side rear door makes no noise... Mine makes a tiny bit amount... certainly less than the passenger side. And yeah, they make noise at lower speeds, especially coming off driveways and parking deck ramps.

My attempts at a fix:

So I've taken the rear door body mounted weather strips off, cleaned them with a damp microfiber towel and applied 303 weatherstripping conditioner. I figured if the stripping was a little softer, it wouldn't creak so much. No improvement.

I've read about people having this same issue on other cars and some have recommended lubricating the inside of the strip so when it does flex, it at least wont creak/crackle. I was going to give this a shot next, but when I put my strips back on after cleaning them, I noticed that the passenger side one really doesn't grab tightly to the body and I figured adding some silicone lubricant to it would just make that worse.

Because of the slightly loose fit, I considered using some 3m weather strip adhesive (https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M) in hopes that if the strip held tighter to the body, it wouldn't flex and compress and make noise. But, I got a little nervous about the possibly permanent nature of the glue and I backed off that idea.

What I'm thinking now...

I might try a combination of silicone to lubricate the seal and double sided tape applied to the body to help hold the weatherstrip better in place. Obviously the combination of the two might totally contradict each other, but I think tape applied where the strip sags the most and lube applied everywhere else might be a good idea.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We both have the same situation.

My rear passenger door seal makes the most noise too. Your drivers side rear door makes no noise... Mine makes a tiny bit amount... certainly less than the passenger side. And yeah, they make noise at lower speeds, especially coming off driveways and parking deck ramps.

My attempts at a fix:

So I've taken the rear door body mounted weather strips off, cleaned them with a damp microfiber towel and applied 303 weatherstripping conditioner. I figured if the stripping was a little softer, it wouldn't creak so much. No improvement.

I've read about people having this same issue on other cars and some have recommended lubricating the inside of the strip so when it does flex, it at least wont creak/crackle. I was going to give this a shot next, but when I put my strips back on after cleaning them, I noticed that the passenger side one really doesn't grab tightly to the body and I figured adding some silicone lubricant to it would just make that worse.

Because of the slightly loose fit, I considered using some 3m weather strip adhesive (https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M) in hopes that if the strip held tighter to the body, it wouldn't flex and compress and make noise. But, I got a little nervous about the possibly permanent nature of the glue and I backed off that idea.

What I'm thinking now...

I might try a combination of silicone to lubricate the seal and double sided tape applied to the body to help hold the weatherstrip better in place. Obviously the combination of the two might totally contradict each other, but I think tape applied where the strip sags the most and lube applied everywhere else might be a good idea.
Wow, I admire your diligence.
I was just going to use Earmuffs.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Wow, I admire your diligence.
I was just going to use Earmuffs.
Well, yeah. Turning up the stereo has been my go-to fix so far but as you know..l the ST1 stereo isn’t all that pleasant.

Now that winter is pretty much here, I’ll probably just let this go until next summer. Once it’s below freezing outside and all the interior plastic gets cold and hard, I give up on caring about all the noises that are being produced.

I imagine someone here has fixed this issue. Maybe they’ll post here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it is the weatherstripping ultimately, it’s kind of a relief. Nothing really “loose”. Just crackling weatherstripping on this car for some dumb reason.
I drove it earlier and didn’t notice much. I’m often listening to audiobooks, and that makes the noises harder to hear. I almost never listen to the radio.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do you have a sunroof? My sunroof pops and creeks like crazy and i thought for the longest time if was coming from my passenger side rear door

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts

My car has an annoying rattle also on passenger rear door. Its the plastic bit right behind the window on the door, when I tap it, it is loose and rattles, just pulled it back and put some double sided tape behind it and smooshed it back together, no more rattle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My car has an annoying rattle also on passenger rear door. Its the plastic bit right behind the window on the door, when I tap it, it is loose and rattles, just pulled it back and put some double sided tape behind it and smooshed it back together, no more rattle.
Interesting. Can you post a pic of that area?

·
Registered
505 Posts
After 3 years I'm used to the rattles. Passenger side door rattle went away about 7 months ago. Rear hatch rattle went away 10 months ago. Now that it's getting cold again I'm sure there will be new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts