Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I keep the ST parked on the street, and for a year it hasn't been an issue; today I found that "someone" who likely parked tightly behind me on Wed night must have pushed up against the rear right bumper enough to cause a crack from the rear bumper below the gas flap to down around the lower rear reflector??? No note accepting "responsibility" on it, can't believe they "wouldn't know" as it is "substantial cracking" . . . .

So, is this an "easy fix" ?? I can't imagine that throwing some bondo on it would work for any time on these "bumpers" . . . but it looks like the rear bumper panel would be removed and a new one installed?? Doubt my warranty would cover this, but dealership would possibly offer a "rental" whether that would be "free" or not, but color matched part would likely "fit" . . . ?? But assuming that the bumper part would be what, several K to buy and install?? Taillights weren't damaged, thankfully, just odd it is on the "sidewalk" side of the car rather than the "street" side where cars are sliding in and out . . .

Any other options, like does Mountune offer a "rear bumper" piece that would offer better air flow/stability management . . . for less money than the OEM part? Other options? It's kind of a "hairline" crack right now but it isn't straight, like it "splintered" in a curly-cue pattern . . . I could "ignore" it for awhile, but I'm assuming that either after a longer drive the vibration on the part would open it up more and more and eventually likely crack off . . . .

It's a tad "irritating" that the bumper was so "easily" cracked . . . hard to call it a "bumper" these days . . . .

thnx in advance, etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
There are certain businesses that specialize in plastic cosmetic car repairs. It's cheaper than a new bumper, and means you get to keep the original. Trying to color match is sometimes difficult.

Also, pay close attention to the areas where the bumper attaches to the fender. There may be broken or stressed areas that also need to be repaired. In some cases repair just isn't an option, mostly chalked up to how much damage was actually done. I'd only involve insurance if your deductible is low and rates won't go up.

You may be stuck ordering a new bumper and respraying. It's definitely the easiest option, just not necessarily the most cost effective. Post some pics of the damage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Technically, that's not the bumper, it's just a cover. An expensive, vulnerable cover. You could maybe plastic weld the crack, but it's not the cost of the part itself that's bad, it's the paint and you'd have to have the weld area repainted, anyway. I'm also not sure how well these covers would weld as they're pretty thin and that area is stressed. Maybe someone totaled their ST in the same color that has a good rear cover you could buy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had something similar happen but only scuffed not cracked. I ended up buying a new cover thru Carid.com, vender on here. Was cheaper than oem and my painter couldn't tell the difference. Install is pretty easy and straight foward.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of the replies, seems like the new format doesn't click out an email notification on posts. I did sort of know that it is a "cover" . . . and a thin one at that. I couldn't imagine that even a good plastic weld would be able to "sustain" over time and abuse. It's one of those "nuisance liabilities" as far as insurance goes, the person obviously didn't "man" or "woman" up to what they had done, I believe I have a $500 deductible, so likely wouldn't make it worth going through them . . . but still have yet to price it . . . anywhere.

It's also not like a "short" ding that could be ignored, but a long and winding road of a crack that runs around the lower reflector and back up by the gas fill . . . the first "damage" to the still "new car smell" vehicle that was "semi-immaculate" . . . . The "dream time" is over . . . life on the mean streets of LA has finally touched the car.

I did take a few iPod shots of the "cracking" . . . if I can figure out how to upload them and they look somewhat "obvious" I'll try to get to it . . . sometime "soon" . . . . The light this morning wasn't exactly "dull and even" to be able to be decent--not having looked at them yet, just from previous photos of the blue paint job.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS: Took a fast look at the carid.com site and seems like it only has an "RS front bumper unpainted" for the 2018 Focus options . . . could be too soon for the aftermarket to have parts available yet????

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bro. Go a little easier on the quotation marks. Good luck with the bumper.

·
Registered
143 Posts
LOL. It makes it difficult to read. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Indeed, friend. They are used when quoting someone.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed, friend. They are used when quoting someone.
That's a somewhat "narrow" application of the use . . . so I guess I could "understand" why you are blowing up over it . . . . I'll "try" to restrict my enthusiasms for quotation marks if I know you are watching . . . . : - 0

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That Is an interesting spider crack... take it to a body shop and get a quote. What else can you do?
@Mxxxxx:

Indeed good analogy, when I first saw it I did think it was a spider web snaking its way across the cover. But I just don't think that doing a bondo job on it will hold up . . . ??? Then we're into R&R the cover piece??? It's just "irritating" as all heck because somebody who did this had to know they hit hard, but left no note of social obligation or "apology" . . . with contact & insurance info, etc. [Had to get a couple quotation marks in to help edumicate the grammar ocifer] Anyway, there is no rush on it, doesn't seem to be too many options coming in, the aftermarket doesn't seem to have the part for less yet, and then it's just time consuming to find a reasonable body shop willing to do it right for hopefully less than the dealer. . . .

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's a somewhat "narrow" application of the use . . . so I guess I could "understand" why you are blowing up over it . . . . I'll "try" to restrict my enthusiasms for quotation marks if I know you are watching . . . . : - 0
🤣🤣🤣
Relax partner. No blowing up taking place over here. Jon

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
🤣🤣🤣
Relax partner. No blowing up taking place over here. Jon
Just giving you the "LA" thing, for even the smallest response . . . it's "blowing up" . . . i.e., "Dude blew up on me," in response to a a twitch of an eyebrow . . . it's a heightened "sensitivity" to social interactions . . . . It's just how "we" play it here . . . .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just giving you the "LA" thing, for even the smallest response . . . it's "blowing up" . . . i.e., "Dude blew up on me," in response to a a twitch of an eyebrow . . . it's a heightened "sensitivity" to social interactions . . . . It's just how "we" play it here . . . .
You correctly used quotations twice in that post. Not sure if I'm happy or disappointed. 🤔 Jon

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You correctly used quotations twice in that post. Not sure if I'm happy or disappointed. 🤔 Jon
Thank you, I'm "happy" that some of them met your standards . . . still under "50%" but, perhaps an "improvement"?? : - )

1 - 20 of 33 Posts