Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have been fortunate to have been running a stratified tune for a least a year and just recently I've started getting larger negative Ignition corrections.

I am seeing the normal +4, but now I'm seeing as low as -5.52. I usually never saw larger than -1.5. is this still okay? I'm at 32k miles and I am planning on changing the spark plugs soon to one step colder. I think the plugs were changed around 10k when ford was working on the random misfire CEL. I have tried a few different gas stations (shell, Chevron, Mobile, Arco).

2015 ST1
32K miles
Fuel: 91
Stratified Tuned OTS

Should I start with the spark plugs?

Thanks!

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this under wot? Or normal driving

BooSTed Aspirations
That's a good question. I believe under normal driving.

·
Registered
209 Posts
try 1 gallon of E-85 at nest fill up to be sure it isn't bad gas. If it's bad gas, that should stop the negative corrections.

Also check the spark plugs for sure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Stratified has a great write up about that and provides some really good information that I’m not even going to try and regurgitate. Lol but normal driving I believe negative will happen. I would definitely recommend changing plugs because of your mileage and make sure they are tapped correctly.

BooSTed Aspirations

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. Unfortunately I have to take it to a shop because ford wrenched them on so tight I am having trouble getting them to loosen up and definitely do not want to snap a plug in its well. $10 per plug isn't bad though and I don't have to worry about breaking a plug. Do you kn ow what the correct gap should be?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this correct?

This is the easier of the two considerations; for the Ford Ecoboost engine found in the Focus / Fiesta ST as well as the DISI in the Mazdaspeed vehicles we always recommend a plug gap of 0.025 – 0.026″.

Reactions: mcflyin619

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That is Stratified's recommendation, since they tuned yours I would go with that. I have seen some recommend 25 or 26 while others recommend 27 or 28.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also should I use the step colder plugs or the Ford plugs? I just get concerned about taking my car into the dealer if need be and they blame something on the plugs.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Pretty sure Stratified recommends one step colder. I am running one step colder with no issues. My tuner told me it was my choice as he had not had issues with either when I had my tune setup (Randy at Mountune). If the dealer decides to give you warranty trouble about the plugs being a step colder, then you are probably already in trouble anyway given your mods.

If you could get your plugs out, you could make the call by looking at them. You may have seen it already, but just in case you have not... Blog : Spark Plug Tech : Stratified Automotive Controls. There is a pretty detailed heat range discussion in there with pictures.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I had the spark plugs changed to 1 step colder plugs and had them gap them to the 0.025 – 0.026 spec. So far so good! My negative corrections have diminished greatly and I m also seeing slight negative corrections unlike before. Also my ST SEEMS to be a bit smoother. I am not sure if that is possible with the new plugs, or just in my head.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Update: I had the spark plugs changed to 1 step colder plugs and had them gap them to the 0.025 – 0.026 spec. So far so good! My negative corrections have diminished greatly and I m also seeing slight negative corrections unlike before. Also my ST SEEMS to be a bit smoother. I am not sure if that is possible with the new plugs, or just in my head.
Good to hear! Yea that sounds about right with one step colder. Hopefully your problems stay away. My tuner always told me that spark plugs are big issues on these cars and always check them first

BooSTed Aspirations

1 - 13 of 13 Posts