Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST FBO Stage 3+
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i’m looking to increase the pops & crackles from my exhaust but still want to keep the car reliable, just with more fun. currently as far as it goes with my exhaust i have a roush cat back exhaust and stock down pipe. i know i need a down pipe (suggestions?) and with that i need a tune (accessport). for the rest of the car “performance” mods i have Roush cat back exhaust, CAI and a cobb front mount intercooler. what are some things i should keep in mind & look into getting? i know stratified has from what i’ve read a great custom tune builder but are there any others? just looking to weigh out all my options before i dump over $1,100 into this alone

·
Super Moderator
2,406 Posts
Why's that?
In general they are more stressful on the motor, it’s very hard to directly point a finger and say “Crackle maps are bad”. Safe option is just to avoid them.

Op: take your time and research a lot of tuners, particularly ones in your area. You can buy an Accessport or an SCT device, both of them are good, but pick a tuner first and then buy the device that they prefer. Don’t allow your choice of device to box you into specific tuners.
A DP will let out a lot more gurgles, but definitely not anything you’d consider a “crackle”.
When you select a DP try to pick one with a long flex section as it will be less likely to destroy your DP hanger. When you do the install be prepared to buy a V-Band in the event that you break the stock one. Finally if you live on an emissions state, I would highly recommend a rear o2 spacer to avoid a CEL. You will fail smog with a DP if that is something your state does.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Crackle maps do not damage anything other than the cat. Stratified has been doing them forever, I've ran them forever, I'm at 145k miles and big turbo. The article posted above gives a good understanding of what they are and how they function.

·
Registered
252 Posts
so i’m looking to increase the pops & crackles from my exhaust but still want to keep the car reliable, just with more fun. currently as far as it goes with my exhaust i have a roush cat back exhaust and stock down pipe. i know i need a down pipe (suggestions?) and with that i need a tune (accessport). for the rest of the car “performance” mods i have Roush cat back exhaust, CAI and a cobb front mount intercooler. what are some things i should keep in mind & look into getting? i know stratified has from what i’ve read a great custom tune builder but are there any others? just looking to weigh out all my options before i dump over $1,100 into this alone
OP, get you a catless downpipe and go through Stratified to tune. They'll give you 3 maps, one no crackles, one mild crackles, and one for really heavy crackles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You ask for more pops and crackles. You say you know you need the downpipe which is what's used to sort of safely handle the crackle and pop tunes, and then you talk about the accessport. Seems like you know exactly how people got the pop and crackles, with a tune. Then state you don't want the crackle and pop tune. I don't think you can achieve it any other way. Maybe with a bore and stroke and some nitrous/methane injected manifolds and headers coming out of the hood lmao. There is no other way to get the 4 cylinder rally pop without the tune from what I've seen...

Edit: Cause I posted some late night poo

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
  1. i’m not looking into a crackle pop tune i’m just simply looking into good options for a down pipe & tune to compensate the down pipe.
You will get some when you go with a catless downpipe and a good tune. More like some burbles and some light pops on decel. Thats the way i have it, im not a fan of the extra tune induced pops and crackles, they get a bit excessive imo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts