Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title says, it's coming time for me to replace the oem Goodyear's. Right at 30k miles on the car and I'm juuust about to hit the wear bars.

Here lies my dilemma, I can't decide what my replacement tire should be! These stock tires are okay, nothing I'd write home about but I don't have extensive tire knowledge to know whether they are awesome or they suck. They get the job done is all I can say.

Here's a little background to help with the situation. I live in upstate South Carolina and its about to be winter time. Winter here is pretty mild I'd say. We get snow maybe once or twice a year, it sticks for a day or two and then it's gone. Mainly it just rains and the temps will hover anywhere from 40-60 for highs (does get really cold at night though, as in 20-30). This lasts until about March I'd say and then it's a ramp up from 60 to the 100+ mark. I don't track my car or autox- I just dabble in spirited driving on occasion. This is my daily and I have a 50 mile round trip commute of all highway.

Secondly, I'm on a budget of about $600. That's just how it is right now so please, don't come at me with the 'get a second set of wheels and run winter tires'. Not gonna happen with my budget, sorry!

I got this car in February this year and these summer tires have done me just fine so far. However I've had some people suggesting I get all season tires but then you hear the old adage of "all season-NO season!".

Here are my questions, what have you all experienced? Who here runs a summer tire year round (and doesn't live in SoCal or the desert)? What do you run? Who here runs all seasons year round? Why did you choose them? How do you like them?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
So like the title says, it's coming time for me to replace the oem Goodyear's. Right at 30k miles on the car and I'm juuust about to hit the wear bars.

Here lies my dilemma, I can't decide what my replacement tire should be! These stock tires are okay, nothing I'd write home about but I don't have extensive tire knowledge to know whether they are awesome or they suck. They get the job done is all I can say.

Here's a little background to help with the situation. I live in upstate South Carolina and its about to be winter time. Winter here is pretty mild I'd say. We get snow maybe once or twice a year, it sticks for a day or two and then it's gone. Mainly it just rains and the temps will hover anywhere from 40-60 for highs (does get really cold at night though, as in 20-30). This lasts until about March I'd say and then it's a ramp up from 60 to the 100+ mark. I don't track my car or autox- I just dabble in spirited driving on occasion. This is my daily and I have a 50 mile round trip commute of all highway.

Secondly, I'm on a budget of about $600. That's just how it is right now so please, don't come at me with the 'get a second set of wheels and run winter tires'. Not gonna happen with my budget, sorry!

I got this car in February this year and these summer tires have done me just fine so far. However I've had some people suggesting I get all season tires but then you hear the old adage of "all season-NO season!".

Here are my questions, what have you all experienced? Who here runs a summer tire year round (and doesn't live in SoCal or the desert)? What do you run? Who here runs all seasons year round? Why did you choose them? How do you like them?
I don't have any experience to be able to really answer your question, but if snow is ANY concern for you...I've seen that our tires are garbage in the snow. As are most summer tires...and spirited driving when it's like 20-40 degrees you'll have really crappy traction anyway due to the temperature hardening our tires. That's why I'm going with winter tires (I too have a similar budget) and hoping I can afford to get another set of Summers come time in the spring

·
Registered
386 Posts
Found the new asymmetric 3 very smooth, quiet and civilized. Not as good looking as the AS2 but grip both in wet and dry excellent.

Just placed and order for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40/18 and can`t wait. Never tried them before but internet say they should do nicely.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I run Continental ControlContact Sports. They're an equivalent to the stock F1's. I feel like they are a tad grippier, and are supposed to last a little longer. I am far from a rich man, and can't afford the top of the line. I have not been disappointed by these tires. I too don't really track or autox.

ETA: Just found out that the Control Contact Sports are exclusive to Discount Tire. They are very similar to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm going to Conti Extreme Contact DW in the spring on a new set of rims. I'll keep the stock all seasons as winter tires. Read a lot of good things about the Conti's and reasonable for under $600. You should be fine in SC and the rare snow/ice (you have to worry more about hurricanes than snow!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Grew up in upstate SC, recently moved to N. GA.
My suggestion will be expensive up front, but will serve you absolutely best.

Get replacement summer tires. (I'm a Michelin fan boy, so either PS3 or PSS).
Go to tire rack, put in your year ST and select "Winter Wheel/Tire Combo"
Choose 17" combo, then choose just about any tire is presents, and pick a wheel you think looks good. Get then mounted/balanced from tire rack, get TPMS.
When they get to you, all you have to do is swap wheels in early-mid December, then swap again in late March/early April.
The winter tires should last you years, you'll always have the right tire for the right time, you won't have to compromise.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Choose 17" combo, then choose just about any tire is presents, and pick a wheel you think looks good. Get then mounted/balanced from tire rack, get TPMS.
When they get to you, all you have to do is swap wheels in early-mid December, then swap again in late March/early April.
The winter tires should last you years, you'll always have the right tire for the right time, you won't have to compromise.
But budgets

·
Registered
85 Posts
I switched to Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position which are rated as an ultra high performance all season. The are better in the snow than the Goodyears but not great. Wet weather traction is much better and dry is close to the Goodyear F1. I have them in the stock size.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the standard.

But if you want to save some cash, I've heard nothing but good things about BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Trust me, I really wish I could do this! But we're talking like 12-1500 bucks upfront for that! Lawd hammercy man lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think the stock tires are pretty good for spirited driving. They suck for snow and are out of your budget though.

For what your budget is I would recommend going to tire rack or Discount tire direct and buy the what ever tire is in your budget. Your not going to have to many choices so I would check the reviews on your options and pick what falls in your budget.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Trust me, I really wish I could do this! But we're talking like 12-1500 bucks upfront for that! Lawd hammercy man lol
Get a credit card, charge it and cut it up when your done. Its a lot up front but you'll be golden for years.
You have an ST so on some level big or small (no shame) your an enthusiast. I think on a beautiful spring back road morning;you'd miss the summers.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Im right down the road from you, I run Continental DWS or whatever the acronym is on the stock wheels. They have been fine and handled fine in the light snow of Ohio this past winter while I was there. I have a set of Goodyear's F1 with less than 5k on them if you're interested. I work in Liberty on the weekends. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I bought Bridgestone Potenzas to replace the factory F1s. But I also run a dedicated winter set of Blizzaks. If I were you, I'd buy an inexpensive winter setup (mine cost me $450 with new tires and old Taurus wheels, 16 inch) and run that for now until spring. Then in spring, buy replacements for your F1s.

Tapatalkin on an S7

Reactions: SC_FoST248

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the standard.

But if you want to save some cash, I've heard nothing but good things about BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s.
Just this week, they released details on a new version of the PSS that wears better.

·
Administrator
10,667 Posts
Just this week, they released details on a new version of the PSS that wears better.
This has me intrigued...

The price will have me dry heave a bit. But then again, I like to buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

·
Administrator
10,667 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
^Yeah that would definitely blow the $600 budget.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Appreciate all the replies! I checked out some Michelin's buuut those prices make me nauseous.

Does anybody have any experience with these tires?

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDet...umitomo&tireModel=HTR+A/S+P02+(W-Speed+Rated)

They are cheap (which is worrisome) but they seem to have some really good reviews and fit well within my budget! I might end up going with these. I can't justify spending 600-800 on tires that might only last 20k...with the amount that I drive that's just ridiculous. I've put 25k miles on my car in the last 7 months!

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts