Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently bought a 2014 focus ST. i got a few mods like a K&N air filter, MBRP catback exhaust, turbosmart bov 50/50 and a sound composer delete. i know ST's aren't great on gas but mine is just extremely terrible. i'm lucky if i get 18.4mpg. PLEASE any suggestions on what i could do to improve it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i'm lucky if i get 18.4mpg. PLEASE any suggestions on what i could do to improve it.
Stay out of the boost. Don't try to beat everyone in the stoplight races. Keep her rolling by not following closely and avoid stop & go traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i haven't beat on it for a month now to see if that was the issue but it's still horrible 😞

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
i haven't beat on it for a month now to see if that was the issue but it's still horrible 😞
Reset all the gas mileage monitors and try again. Its a 34mpg capable car. I have a feeling you are monitoring false info.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,943 Posts
If you drive in stop and go traffic, thats about as good as you're going to get.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,743 Posts
Driving all in town I was getting about 22.x mostly, with maybe 18.5 the lowest. I don't usually have to wait more than 1 light change or get stuck in long traffic jams and mostly don't boost, just too crowded and old people.

I find driving through the countryside I sometimes get sightly better mileage than the interstate, as more boosting seems offset by lower overall speed if therea's many cars driving normal.

It seems to drop off more noticeably over about 75 mph if you can drive as fast as you want.

The best I ever got was 33.4 when I had to attempt to keep the wife getting too green in the mountains at low speeds and gears and that still didn't work 😉🙄🤬🤮. At least she made it out of the car first. 😊

My computer is usually 1-2 mpg optimistic versus tracking fillups and doing the math.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST
60 Posts
When mine was basically stock I could easily get 30+ mpg. You have to baby it. From a stop light you can’t punch it. The real time mpg will help you get an idea if your accelerating to fast. It’s possible just not much fun.

Reactions: gemery and MtnMan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just got my 2013 a few weeks ago - yanked the battery to check the date - since putting it back the MPG has been steadily creeping up - I'm now at 27.4. Never had a car like this - (4cyl turbo) - I do a lot of highway miles and just sitting there at 3000rpm doing 80 and the MPG keeps going up. Silly question - but your tires are properly inflated? Are you running wider meats?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stay off the boost. If you hear your bov if you let off, you're in boost.

I have a 50+ mile one way drive to work each day. Two stop signs and two stop lights. Other than that, it's 60MPH all the way. I get 30MPG and once I get on the freeway with ONE good pull, that drops to 28MPG. Each time I get on the freeway and do a hard pull, it drops quick.

·
Registered
2013 TS FoST ST3
39 Posts
i just took a 1000 mile trip from ma - md and normal cruising speed was 80-85, and i was getting 29mpg, and i did a few pulls on the highway with some other cars both ways, normal driving to and from work i get about 25ish, when i got it i was getting 19, just reset it, and work on your throttle response.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I get around 22-23. Id say dont be afraid to use 5th and 6th gear when cruising 40+mph just don't lug it, downshift if you need to accelerate in a hurry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm on the highway everyday and I only get 26.1 average. Check your tire pressure. I pumped my pressure up a tad and got an extra .2 on average

·
Registered
88 Posts
With my unmodified 2013 I used to aim for 1500 rpm around town, meaning 4th gear for 25 mph, and 5th gear for 30-40 mph. That gave me 29-30 mpg. Then when I told this to people here, and let them know that I wanted to keep my ST for another 100,000 miles, they told me I should be aiming for 2000 rpm, so since then I've been using 3rd gear for 25 mph, and 4th for 30-40 mph. With that, I've dropped to 25 mpg.

Hope it's worth it.

·
Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic ST3
161 Posts
When I have a fuel economy concern the first thing I usually check is if the air filter is clogged. Lots of guys run those "million mile" k and n filters but never do the cleaning service on them.
There are so many things that 'could' be effecting your fuel economy, Its hard to narrow it down. Try eliminating all the regular maintenance items first and see if the problem continues while you're driving reasonably.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whenever I get concerned about my mileage I just remember my last vehicle was a supercharged xterra on 33"s that got 9-11 mpg at best and could drain 1/2 the tank on the I-26 grade going north out of Asheville.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
529 Posts
With my unmodified 2013 I used to aim for 1500 rpm around town, meaning 4th gear for 25 mph, and 5th gear for 30-40 mph. That gave me 29-30 mpg. Then when I told this to people here, and let them know that I wanted to keep my ST for another 100,000 miles, they told me I should be aiming for 2000 rpm, so since then I've been using 3rd gear for 25 mph, and 4th for 30-40 mph. With that, I've dropped to 25 mpg.

Hope it's worth it.
It's fine being at those rpms when you're just cruising, it's a problem when you need to accelerate. For instance, if there's a bit of an incline you'll want to downshift.

Absolutely no reason to be in a lower gear when you're just rolling along cruising.

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST-3
62 Posts
It'll use a lot more fuel when the engine is cold too. If you do lots of short journeys when it never warms up properly you'll likely be using more fuel per mile then someone who does long journeys. Take things easy till it's warmed up (you should be doing that anyway). I had a Grand Cherokee that did 6mpg accelerating with a cold engine...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts