Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, have a date with the dealership Friday morni g regarding my increasingly difficult to deal with 2nd gear. I'm assuming it's a synchro related issue since it can be wiggled into gear, but usually feels like hitting a wall unless I give it a little extra force (which I obviously avoid doing). I know the best thing to do is to untune the car when going to dealerships, but if I untune the car I'm sure I'll see a CEL for my catless downpipe.

I guess my questions are:
How long does it take for that CEL to show up?
Should I untune and just go with the CEL?
Or..
Should I leave it tuned and just hide the AP3 since it shouldn't have anything to do with the transmission unless they can prove a connection to the failure?

The dealership I an hour and a half from me. (The place I purchased it from. When I bought it, it already had a Cobb short shift plate. Think they will hold that against me?)

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Well, have a date with the dealership Friday morni g regarding my increasingly difficult to deal with 2nd gear. I'm assuming it's a synchro related issue since it can be wiggled into gear, but usually feels like hitting a wall unless I give it a little extra force (which I obviously avoid doing). I know the best thing to do is to untune the car when going to dealerships, but if I untune the car I'm sure I'll see a CEL for my catless downpipe.

I guess my questions are:
How long does it take for that CEL to show up?
Should I untune and just go with the CEL?
Or..
Should I leave it tuned and just hide the AP3 since it shouldn't have anything to do with the transmission unless they can prove a connection to the failure?

The dealership I an hour and a half from me. (The place I purchased it from. When I bought it, it already had a Cobb short shift plate. Think they will hold that against me?)
I'd just uninstall the AP in the parking lot before you walk in. I think it takes a bit of driving before it'll turn on the CEL for the downpipe. I'd assume they'd see the downpipe from below when looking at the transmission anyway. Also I'm sure they'll know it sounds different and assume you have/had it tuned. But again, they have to prove those specific mods caused a transmission failure to void any type of warranty for that.

·
Registered
408 Posts
When I switch maps from e30 to 93 or vice versa it comes back randomly. Sometimes I will drive 20 miles and then it will pop up or sometimes I'll get down the street and it will come back.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Your best bet, is well take it off and install the stock one. I know it's not what you want to hear but that would be the hassle free way. Or a j tube for your o2 sensor, but they might see that as well

·
Registered
181 Posts
Let's look at this another way: Would you spend $100-$200 to save $2500-$3000? Of course you would. So if it would essentially cost $100-$200 to swap out the downpipe in order to diminish the chances of having transmission not covered (saving $2500), then you should absolutely swap it out. Why roll the dice and take the chance?

You should also try to find any paperwork showing it had the Cobb short shift kit on it when you bought it from them, as that may DIRECTLY cause them to say that caused the issue with the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your best bet, is well take it off and install the stock one. I know it's not what you want to hear but that would be the hassle free way. Or a j tube for your o2 sensor, but they might see that as well

The stock DP was damaged upon removal and can't be putback on unfortunately. So that's balled up unless I get another one. Which is unlikely

Let's look at this another way: Would you spend $100-$200 to save $2500-$3000? Of course you would. So if it would essentially cost $100-$200 to swap out the downpipe in order to diminish the chances of having transmission not covered (saving $2500), then you should absolutely swap it out. Why roll the dice and take the chance?

You should also try to find any paperwork showing it had the Cobb short shift kit on it when you bought it from them, as that may DIRECTLY cause them to say that caused the issue with the transmission.
Well given how it typically works, the downpipe and tune should not even be a topic of consideration here I think. It should have nothing to do with the issue. The shift plate however is a legitimate strong concern and I don't have any paperwork from purchase showing it I don't think but I am double checking.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Update on the short shift kit. I have a folder from the original owner that the dealership gave me with the receipts to every mod including the short shift kit and it has all the original stickers and paperwork with the car when the ORIGINAL owner bought it from them. Which proves that it wasn't me who did the mods and when they were done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Update on the short shift kit. I have a folder from the original owner that the dealership gave me with the receipts to every mod including the short shift kit and it has all the original stickers and paperwork with the car when the ORIGINAL owner bought it from them. Which proves that it wasn't me who did the mods and when they were done.
Good man! And you are correct about the tune and DP *probably* not impacting the trans. But... ;) Anyway, hopefully it goes smoothly for you.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I could easily see them blaming the tune for any and all transmission issues. all they have to say is that the tune made more power and that added power caused more stress on on the trans and the trans was not built for that added power.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The stock DP was damaged upon removal and can't be putback on unfortunately. So that's balled up unless I get another one. Which is unlikely

Well given how it typically works, the downpipe and tune should not even be a topic of consideration here I think. It should have nothing to do with the issue. The shift plate however is a legitimate strong concern and I don't have any paperwork from purchase showing it I don't think but I am double checking.
Have stock DP I could "loan" you if you are really that worried about it my man!

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have stock DP I could "loan" you if you are really that worried about it my man!
They SEEM like they are quite mod friendly at my dealer considering how much they gave the previous owner with the mods that were on my car when I bought it, so I want to say they will work with me on it. If they don't work with me on it then there is still the option of buying aftermarket synchros and having them replaced vs getting a new trans

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using the power of Amazon I ordered a defouler which should be here Thursday. I'll then go straight to my buddies garage and bust my knuckles apart installing it before Friday morning so I can (hopefully) untune. The cobb shift plate...it's a pretty quick and easy like 40 minute at best install right? I could theoretically take the airbox off, pry off the shift linkage, pop out the pin, remove the weight, remove the cobb plate, and reverse and be back to stock real fast right?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Using the power of Amazon I ordered a defouler which should be here Thursday. I'll then go straight to my buddies garage and bust my knuckles apart installing it before Friday morning so I can (hopefully) untune. The cobb shift plate...it's a pretty quick and easy like 40 minute at best install right? I could theoretically take the airbox off, pry off the shift linkage, pop out the pin, remove the weight, remove the cobb plate, and reverse and be back to stock real fast right?
The cobb plate is very easy to install. My biggest problem is dropping stuff in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I brought mine on for the same 2nd gear synchro issue. I had 59k on the odometer warranty up at 60k). I put the stock tune in in the dealership parking lot. Replaced under warranty free of charge with "stage 3" parts installed". They knew it was tuned, they new the mods I had. They mentioned them briefly and my response was I didn't have any tranny mods (actually I removed my shift bracket before hand) and none of my mods had anything to do with the synchros/gear grinding issue.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I brought mine on for the same 2nd gear synchro issue. I had 59k on the odometer warranty up at 60k). I put the stock tune in in the dealership parking lot. Replaced under warranty free of charge with "stage 3" parts installed". They knew it was tuned, they new the mods I had. They mentioned them briefly and my response was I didn't have any tranny mods (actually I removed my shift bracket before hand) and none of my mods had anything to do with the synchros/gear grinding issue.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have NO IDEA how much this helps lol. Considering I'm a stage 3 ST who is removing the F out of his Cobb shift plate before going. I'm so thankful for my prime account but I REALLY hope I don't have any issues installing the defouler the night before. That would suck. From 1st to 2nd it's like 50-60% of the time it doesn't wanna go in without issues...but the other 40-50% it'll go in if you aren't baby shifting...so I hope the tech doesn't have a super strong arm and try to tell me it's fine. IF HE DOES THAT, I'll have him downshift into 2nd. Which from 3 to 2 it's a god awful brick wall almost religiously now. I'm so stressed and annoyed because it progressively got worse in the last like 3 weeks and I literally haven't launched my car even once in like a month (when I got my new tires lol) so they just randomly hit the breaking point from general work commuting. The car is operable at least still, but if they don't fix it I'll be in trouble in the near future I think.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Think uninstall will be just as easy? I imagine so..
Absolutely. It is just two screws. I had a much harder time getting my downpipe on. Also, defouler is an easy install but you will have to remove the downpipe to get it on there which is where most of your time will be spent.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutely. It is just two screws. I had a much harder time getting my downpipe on. Also, defouler is an easy install but you will have to remove the downpipe to get it on there which is where most of your time will be spent.
I'm gonna be "that guy" and attempt it at the awkward angle the o2 sensor is placed without removing it. However, if worst comes to worst it'll get taken off and fought with for a little while. What a headache. You can run the downpipe with the defouler even with the tune right? So once it is on there I can leave it on there in the future?

As far as the short shift plate is concerned I'll decide after the verdict if it'll get put back on.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm gonna be "that guy" and attempt it at the awkward angle the o2 sensor is placed without removing it. However, if worst comes to worst it'll get taken off and fought with for a little while. What a headache. You can run the downpipe with the defouler even with the tune right? So once it is on there I can leave it on there in the future?

As far as the short shift plate is concerned I'll decide after the verdict if it'll get put back on.
Good luck. And yes, you can run the defouler with a tune.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good luck. And yes, you can run the defouler with a tune.
Sounds good, thanks man.

Oh, and weird question..is my image at the bottom of my signature showing up for you? It randomly became an X and I'm trying to discover it it's my internet filter or the forum. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts