Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, about a month back, I used my ST to bring some buckets of rocks to my house. I noticed the rear was a bit lowered after but it slowly returned to normal height within an hour after unloading. Now I get a clunking noise from the passenger rear side when driving. I took it to eh mechanic and he thinks I need to replace the shocks. I was wondering what the best replacement shocks are. Im not looking for a huge performance upgrade, just something well made and reliable to replace the OEM shocks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know you said you're not looking for a performance upgrade, but if you don't go with some generic OEM replacement: Koni Yellows.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Might want to check the suspension bits out first... sounds like you possibly bent something or broke a bushings.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Shocks knock when they go bad. I'd buy bilstein. It's what's on my car and it's better than stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might want to check the suspension bits out first... sounds like you possibly bent something or broke a bushings.
Yes, the mechanic had it on the lift and ruled out all those parts. He was pretty sure it is the shocks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've had the Bilstein B8's at all four corners for quite awhile now. I am happy with the ride and performance of them.

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Bilstein does make an oe replacement also. Not the b8 but they do have an oe replacement. I'm on steeda springs with mine. Great setup. Rides better than stock

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Everyone, about a month back, I used my ST to bring some buckets of rocks to my house. I noticed the rear was a bit lowered after but it slowly returned to normal height within an hour after unloading. Now I get a clunking noise from the passenger rear side when driving. I took it to eh mechanic and he thinks I need to replace the shocks. I was wondering what the best replacement shocks are. Im not looking for a huge performance upgrade, just something well made and reliable to replace the OEM shocks.

Thanks!
Go with Bilstien B8's! Great all around shock.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If you have stock springs, and want stock like performance, you choose the Bilstein B4's.
If you want performance, and use stock springs, use the B6's.
If you're lowered, then and only then do you use the B8's. It's made for lowering.

The B6 and B8 are valved the same, but the B8 has a shorter body to make up for the lowering springs.
If you're not doing all 4 now, then you should only get the B4's IMO.

Don't just blindly take the advice of "Do B8's, they are l33t awesomer stuffs." Understand why they are saying that, and realize there is more to it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have stock springs, and want stock like performance, you choose the Bilstein B4's.
If you want performance, and use stock springs, use the B6's.
If you're lowered, then and only then do you use the B8's. It's made for lowering.

The B6 and B8 are valved the same, but the B8 has a shorter body to make up for the lowering springs.
If you're not doing all 4 now, then you should only get the B4's IMO.

Don't just blindly take the advice of "Do B8's, they are l33t awesomer stuffs." Understand why they are saying that, and realize there is more to it..
Thank you mitch808! That is very helpful. This whole thread had been great. Thank you everyone who replied!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Wow, two pages and I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Bad shocks have absolutely ZERO to do with whatever was making your car sit low like that. Shocks support ZERO weight. They do nothing to determine how low a car sits or to influence any of the symptoms you described. I'm not saying your shocks aren't bad, but I am saying your shocks are not the culprit for the condition you're experiencing. The ONLY thing that would cause your symptoms are the springs. And it's also extremely, extremely, extremely, unlikely that one trip with a heavy load (much less a load that didn't overload the car to begin with) would cause a shock to go bad. Shocks do one thing in life and one thing only...they control the rate (speed) at which the spring moves; period, dot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts