Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I tried searching for a bit but I am so frustrated I could only try for so long. I am having trouble getting the lower slide bolt off of the rear caliper. It is due to the rear sway bar being in the way. How do you remove that bolt without removing the sway bar? I have tried three different tools and can't get it loose. Regular wrench I don't have enough leverage. A socket wrench won't clear the bar. I also tried one of the socket wrench ones that are a ball on the end that supposed to work on ones with tight clearance. No luck with that either.

What did you guys that have changed pads before do?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Few options. First, remove the swaybar end link so you can move it out of the way to fit a tool. Second, you could undo the caliper bolts holding the brake to the knuckle (need small box-end wrench to do so) and remove the whole thing. Or third (my favorite) get yourself a spare 7mm hex L-shaped key, then cut off part of it so that maybe 1/5th inch is sticking out from the slide bolt - then you can put a 7mm box-end wrench over that and weasel it out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I will give that third option a try

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys computer has been out of commission for quite a while. I ended up taking the hex bit out of a hex drive I had and then using a really small ratcheting wrench I had. It worked pretty well but was a tight fit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you jack the rear of car with the suspension loaded (and not just let the wheels hang down freely) it will provide plenty of clearance. Just did it this past weekend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts