Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Random thought...I would check the fine print of the warranty. They usually pertain to the part itself failing from poor welds or bad bends, not because of outside influences like road salt.
The 409 has a lifetime warranty as well, but excludes surface rust that may develope. The 304 has a lifetime warranty but only excludes discoloration due to heat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Although, I was being really dumb and forgot that Cobb is 304 stainless which will hold up well in Michigan winter's. I am now slightly leaning towards Cobb as it seems to have the lowest sound. I also saw a video showing it was 90db+ in the cabin under wide open throttle and about 80db under cruising speeds on highway.

Also, if anyone knows of a good deal for the Cobb, I would definitely consider that over MBRP. I currently see Cobb going for $800 on cjponyparts.com.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ive got the roush exhaust on mine. which is apparently on the quieter side of things, which is hard to believe because its basically a 3" straight pipe with a resonator. but if i put my foot in it, it screams. granted they dont have a stainless option, so might not work for you, but i got mine off of FB market place for $300 cuz CJP sent someone the wrong exhaust and told them to keep it.

on a related, side note...if loudness is what you are going for do not delete your sound symposer. for me, it was a drastic difference. my exhaust got soooooo much quieter (in cab) then before the delete. amazing how ford thought that a "sound symposer" was a good idea.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ive driven a 2016 with an mbrp and the drone was horrendous in my opinion. I don't believe any part of it was contacting any structural components either.

·
Registered
918 Posts
thats what i was talking about with the sound symposer delete....helps drastically. IMO
I am aware. This car already had the symposer deleted when i drove it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Ive got the roush exhaust on mine. which is apparently on the quieter side of things, which is hard to believe because its basically a 3" straight pipe with a resonator. but if i put my foot in it, it screams. granted they dont have a stainless option, so might not work for you, but i got mine off of FB market place for $300 cuz CJP sent someone the wrong exhaust and told them to keep it.

on a related, side note...if loudness is what you are going for do not delete your sound symposer. for me, it was a drastic difference. my exhaust got soooooo much quieter (in cab) then before the delete. amazing how ford thought that a "sound symposer" was a good idea.
At this point, I don't plan on removing symposer unless it's too loud.

·
Registered
918 Posts
At this point, I don't plan on removing symposer unless it's too loud.
I removed mine because the symposer takes away from the nice exhaust note. Its like listening to a song that you like and someone next to you talking over it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Regardless of the exhaust you get I strongly recommend you do the symposer delete. It'll help eliminate drone no matter which one you choose.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST (magnetic grey)
3 Posts
Another thing with the Cobb exhaust that makes me steer away from it is the installation video CJPony parts. When testing it at the end, they state often that the exhaust is not overly loud and you can barely hear it. When they are testing it, they are testing with no radio at all.

Also, its not that I don't believe you, but I have a hard time imagining this because this video with the Cobb installation and testing, you can't hardly hear the exhaust at all when he is talking.

I would love to get rid of my Cobb cat back exhaust system. I bought my 2017 ST used about a year ago and it came with the car. I am pretty positive it has the cobb downpipe as well. At first I was ok with it, but now it just gets more and more obnoxious to me as the days go by. I love my music, and loud too, but you'll still hear the engine plenty well. My only problem is that I have no idea how many miles it has on it, or when it was installed. I just passed 36k on mileage. Do people sell used mufflers? haha

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
UPDATE:

I ended up going with the Cobb Cat Back exhaust. I am not sure if I love it or hate it yet. I have had it on for about 1 week now. I ran into a check engine light issue that is unrelated at this time, so I have been dealing with that rather than focusing on enjoying the exhaust. My initial impressions is it seems to be loud inside the cabin. This could be from the fact that I still have the symposer, but it seems like the sound is coming from the rear of the car. I also wish the tips would stick out an extra 1-2in. It seems like the are recessed into the bumper and are not flush. it almost makes me wonder if it is so loud because the sound waves are bouncing off the rear bumper.

The exhaust sounds loud to me. It does seem to have a lower tone, but I am having difficulty telling. I am not sure if I am mistaking noise level for tone. My family members have said that my previous vehicle, cobalt 2.4l N/A with a flowmaster super 44 muffler on it, was louder. The Cobb exhaust system is definitely quiet and has a slight rumble when in low RPM less than 2500 and can still be heard when listening to the radio at 10 or less volume. When going WOT, it definitely gets loud. My first start up and drive and my first though was "this might be illegal" in terms of noise. Again, I am not sure if I am mistaking noise level for tone though. It can easily be heard at WOT when radio is 25+.

The sounds I am hearing from my exhaust seem to be different than what I am hearing from the videos that have been posted online. Mine does not seem to sound as deep as the videos online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It never will when you're driving. Most exhaust videos are either outside directly behind the car, or like right above the exhaust. Plus YouTube had a tendency of distorting sound and darkening video. Have someone else do a couple runs passed you with you outside the car. You'll know what everyone is hearing atleast.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
179 Posts
We have been designing a system using a series of Helmholtz resonators. They have been used for years by manufacturers and by people that look to eliminate drone.

While I remember seeing them on vehicles when I was younger I could never figure exactly what they were until I had a very (and alcohol fueled) conversation with an old jaguar engineer. Not going to bore you with the science but just Google "helmholtz resonator" or "helmholtz exhaust"

While I think the company is way over changing for this product it shows what I'm taking about better than I can explain it here.

This video is an example of a 4 cyl engine before and after a helmholtz resonator.

This type of resonator is what Thermal R&D uses on their 3" system but places it at the rear of the system in place of a traditional muffler.

J

61 - 75 of 75 Posts