Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stupidly tore up my drivers side headlight assembly connector and also rounded off the little plastic tab on the headlight assembly itself, trying to disconnect it so I could install a new HID bulb. Now it won't work since the connector doesn't click in and turn the lights on. What are my options to fix this? I've tried the cheap option of taping it but it doesn't have enough force to connect. I have a 2014 ST3. If I need to buy a new headlamp, can I buy the non HID headlamp? The HID headlamps are crazy expensive. Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
So I stupidly tore up my drivers side headlight assembly connector and also rounded off the little plastic tab on the headlight assembly itself, trying to disconnect it so I could install a new HID bulb. Now it won't work since the connector doesn't click in and turn the lights on. What are my options to fix this? I've tried the cheap option of taping it but it doesn't have enough force to connect. I have a 2014 ST3. If I need to buy a new headlamp, can I buy the non HID headlamp? The HID headlamps are crazy expensive. Thanks!
My first thought would be to temporarily jimmy it in there so it's solid and locked where its supposed to be, then hot-glue it in place. That'll hold it, and its easy enough to cut with a razor knife if you ever need to get it back out again. Just make sure it's all good, clean, roughed-up surfaces for the glue to stick to.
then again, I'm a full-blown hillbilly at heart so...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
ebay will normally sell single headlights for around $2-300 used...condition may vary. Better than the oem list price new but still pricey. Just make sure they match your ST, ST's are semi blacked out and electric focus came with full chrome HID housings.

To repair, without seeing exactly what you are describing, i am going to guess some type of epoxy might be strong enough to hold things in but cant picture what you are describing. Epoxy is often used in retrofits to hold components permanently

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to epoxy it and see if that works. Another question, the part number for the HID bulb is
CM5Z-13N021-A which is a D3s bulb. Why does everyone else recommend getting a D8s bulb? That's what I got last time but didn't seem to last long.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,585 Posts
Your car came stock with d8s and 25w ballasts. Its an upgrade to put d3s bulbs and 35w ballasts in from a 15+ model. You have to notch the base of the bulb to have it seat properly thoigh.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your car came stock with d8s and 25w ballasts. Its an upgrade to put d3s bulbs and 35w ballasts in from a 15+ model. You have to notch the base of the bulb to have it seat properly thoigh.
Thanks, I went ahead and bought some D8S 25W bulbs from Amazon today.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Did your car have the 35w bulbs in them? As mentioned the 25w bulbs are not compatible with the 35w ballasts/igniters and vice versa. You need to match the 25w bulbs to the 25w ballasts. That being said the 25w stuff is weak, not much light output. Upgrading to the 35w stuff is a nice improvement. I'm running the 35w CBI bulbs, big fan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did your car have the 35w bulbs in them? As mentioned the 25w bulbs are not compatible with the 35w ballasts/igniters and vice versa. You need to match the 25w bulbs to the 25w ballasts. That being said the 25w stuff is weak, not much light output. Upgrading to the 35w stuff is a nice improvement. I'm running the 35w CBI bulbs, big fan.
I'm pretty sure I have the 25 W Ballast

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have the 25 W Ballast
Cool you ordered the right bulb then. There are also fewer options for the 25w bulbs, not many companies offer them.

It will say on your ballast (they are attached to the outside of the headlight housing) how many watts they are if you wanted to confirm. That and if you had a 35w bulb, the base would have an extra notch ground or cut into it, as they must be modified to fit

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! I received the bulb today and installed it, and super glued the connector, and everything seems to be working fine. Hopefully it stays that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts