Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 ST3 with 195k miles on it. The car makes a grinding noise when making slow sharp right turns and sometimes when taking off from a stop. It also has a consistent clicking and clacking noise when driving down the highway and it seems to get more faint when letting off the gas and louder when on the gas. I was thinking it's a hub assembly making the noise but it sounds like it's coming from the right front wheel but I don't hear any noise when turning the wheel by hand. The back wheel does seem to make some noise so am thinking maybe that hub assembly is going bad but the noise just sounds like it's coming from the front? I took it to one shop that said the wheel is rubbing on the bumper, but I checked the clearance, and it doesn't look like that's the case. Noise seems to have gotten worse in the past couple months. Thanks for help in advance!

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little update...took it to a shop and was able to duplicate the noise but they still couldn't tell me what is causing the noise. It seems to mainly make the noise primarily when the car is cold and not warmed up yet and seems to be coming from the passenger front wheel area. Took a short 7 second video and you can hear the clacking/clicking noise at the end of the video.

January 23, 2023 - YouTube

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,383 Posts
That's definitely a CV joint click. Now, it may have sounded like the passenger side but a lot of those noises travel through both axles like a tuning fork.

If you have a friend stand outside the car in a parking lot while you drive in tight circles to duplicate the noise, that may help narrow down the side.

· Registered
221 Posts
Could also be bent dust shield contacting rotor when turning. I’d put front end up on jacks and have someone put in gear and turn steering wheel all way left then right while you are outside at the wheels looking for source of noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts