Which is the better deal?

13' ST3 with 35k miles in great condition with modifications for $17k OTD

or

15' ST3 with 19k miles in great condition without modifications for $22k OTD

TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!! lol

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Which one do you like better? I would think the 13' may have been driven harder, as it has mods. Not an absolute, but something to consider. Always a crap shoot when purchasing used. You should be able to get a new ST1 for not a ton more than the cost of the used 15'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which one do you like better? I would think the 13' may have been driven harder, as it has mods. Not an absolute, but something to consider. Always a crap shoot when purchasing used. You should be able to get a new ST1 for not a ton more than the cost of the used 15'.
My heart is drawn to the 15' but my wallet and head are drawn to the 13' lol. I'm just trying to figure out what the better deal is? I did a quick search for 15' ST3's with that mileage and that was the best deal I could find. Same for the 13' ST3.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The lower miles the better IMO. but like davesST said. I was offered a 14 focus st3 with 38k miles for 22k with great deal. But I'm choosing over brand new 2016 ST1 for the same price. I live in socal so leather seats isn't an option for me plus keeps me have a peace in mind. I hate it when weather is hot. Not gonna lie, the temptation was there. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
If the $5K cost difference is not an issue, go with the 2015. Probably less wear and tear on the car and you'll more warranty left on the 2015 and no issues with Ford covering any problems due to mods. Plus the seats and interior in the ST3 are way nicer.

Reactions: DaKineST

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the $5K cost difference is not an issue, go with the 2015. Probably less wear and tear on the car and you'll more warranty left on the 2015 and no issues with Ford covering any problems due to mods. Plus the seats and interior in the ST3 are way nicer.

Well, they are both ST3's. Just a matter of which one to jump for. I'm leaning towards the 15'. From a buyer's/financial point of view which one is the better deal? Would it be harder to find a 15' ST3 for 22k or a 13 ST3' for 17k?

·
Registered
151 Posts
The '15 is the better value IMO. The lower mileage and remaining warranty are worth the spread. Then figure in the updates that the newer car has: back up camera, bigger brakes, brighter headlights (D3S bulb vs D8S). I like the flatted steering wheel (easier ingress/egress over sculpted seats) and newer center console design, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The '15 is the better value IMO. The lower mileage and remaining warranty are worth the spread. Then figure in the updates that the newer car has: back up camera, bigger brakes, brighter headlights (D3S bulb vs D8S). I like the flatted steering wheel (easier ingress/egress over sculpted seats) and newer center console design, too.
Doesn't the '15 also have heated steering wheel?

I guess it just depends on your financial situation. Some people can afford $17K but not $22K. It sounds like value is a higher priority than cost for you, but don't forget to take into account how long you plan to keep the car. If it's just for a couple of years or so, then you'll probably lose less money on the '13 than the '15 since its depreciation curve is gentler. If you plan to keep the car for a while, then you should ask yourself how much you value the things that the '15 has versus the '13, including the different look (which was quite polarizing when it was first introduced).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do prefer the look of the 15' rather than the 13' but to me the changes are subtle. I can definitely live with the 13' knowing that I have 5k extra in my pocket. I do plan on keeping the ST for quite some time and my biggest concern with the 13' are the mods. Quick question, are 10 speakers standard or optional with the ST3 package? I searched and can't find a definitive answer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
10 speakers are standard with ST3. There's a center speaker where the boost gauge is, front woofer and tweeter (x2), rear woofer and tweeter (x2), and subwoofer. A lot of people disconnect the center speaker to improve stereo separation. I replaced my front speakers recently and it also helps improve separation and brightens up the sound quite a bit. My wife laughed at me "your stereo already sounds better than any other vehicle we've owned" but for $75 it was worth it to me.

What is the nature of the mods? I understand the concern that the previous owner may have beaten up on his car, but if it is in otherwise excellent shape as you indicated, that's not *necessarily* the case. You could see if one of the trip odometers is still reasonably intact and see what the MPG reads. If it's really low (say, under 20mpg) then it was either used in very heavy traffic often or stayed in boost quite often. I treat my car very well...I don't run it hard very often at all, partially because most of my driving is "around town" (I'm not gonna drive like a maniac through someone's neighborhood, sorry). But I will still probably get a tune soon-ish since it's out of warranty and have considered replacing the intercooler since the stock one is inadequate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My heart is drawn to the 15' but my wallet and head are drawn to the 13' lol. I'm just trying to figure out what the better deal is? I did a quick search for 15' ST3's with that mileage and that was the best deal I could find. Same for the 13' ST3.
I do prefer the look of the 15' rather than the 13' but to me the changes are subtle. I can definitely live with the 13' knowing that I have 5k extra in my pocket. I do plan on keeping the ST for quite some time and my biggest concern with the 13' are the mods. Quick question, are 10 speakers standard or optional with the ST3 package? I searched and can't find a definitive answer.
With these statements it sounds like you'd be much happier with the 15. Having the backup camera on the 15 is a nice feature and I believe there's a few other refinements with the changes, can't remember the specifics off hand but someone else here may be able to elaborate more on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10 speakers are standard with ST3. There's a center speaker where the boost gauge is, front woofer and tweeter (x2), rear woofer and tweeter (x2), and subwoofer. A lot of people disconnect the center speaker to improve stereo separation. I replaced my front speakers recently and it also helps improve separation and brightens up the sound quite a bit. My wife laughed at me "your stereo already sounds better than any other vehicle we've owned" but for $75 it was worth it to me.

What is the nature of the mods? I understand the concern that the previous owner may have beaten up on his car, but if it is in otherwise excellent shape as you indicated, that's not *necessarily* the case. You could see if one of the trip odometers is still reasonably intact and see what the MPG reads. If it's really low (say, under 20mpg) then it was either used in very heavy traffic often or stayed in boost quite often. I treat my car very well...I don't run it hard very often at all, partially because most of my driving is "around town" (I'm not gonna drive like a maniac through someone's neighborhood, sorry). But I will still probably get a tune soon-ish since it's out of warranty and have considered replacing the intercooler since the stock one is inadequate.
Thank you for the information. The 15' ST3 is being incorrectly advertised with 6 speakers which is why I wanted to confirm.

With these statements it sounds like you'd be much happier with the 15. Having the backup camera on the 15 is a nice feature and I believe there's a few other refinements with the changes, can't remember the specifics off hand but someone else here may be able to elaborate more on that.
Ultimately, yes, I would be happier with the 15'. I just want to make sure I'm not passing up an even better deal in the 13'. Trying to pick with my head and not my heart. lol

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If it were me and the money wasn't an issue, I'd go with the 15' just to get more warranty and a newer car. Sounds like a good deal on both though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you for the information. The 15' ST3 is being incorrectly advertised with 6 speakers which is why I wanted to confirm.

Ultimately, yes, I would be happier with the 15'. I just want to make sure I'm not passing up an even better deal in the 13'. Trying to pick with my head and not my heart. lol
To me the best deal is what you're going to be happy with. If we all chose our cars based on what makes the most financial, practical, and economical sense then we'd all drive used Toyota Corollas or something equivalent. So if you can afford the 15 and not be tight on your budget, then go for it, the extra money will be well spent if you're going to enjoy it that much more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts