Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

My friend and I are looking to install some speakers, amp, and a sub in our cars. We have a ST2 and a ST1. I honestly don't know much about audio at all but I can install it given the pieces I need. I know this is a very broad question but what would you guys recommend to do for an ST2 and ST1 for maybe $300-600 to get a better sounding system? Do we need to increase our budget or is it possible? We both aren't heavy audio people but just want some more bass and volume perhaps. I personally was thinking of adding some Infinity Kappas in the front and back but I have no clue on the sub part.

For the ST2, from the general discussion here I can do a speaker replacement easy enough but can I just change out the sub or would I need a new amp to do that? What are some recommended speakers, amp, and sub? (Is an amp replacement needed for a decent upgrade to the speaker/sub??)

For the ST1, it has no amp/sub I believe. If I wanted to add a sub, I think it would require a lot more work to wire everything? Same question here, what speaker, sub, amp recommendations?

Should we also be considering some sound deadening or would this not be needed for an average/moderate sound system?
PS I'm sure I'll have a lot of followup questions so thanks in advance to anyone that helps!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the ST1 is easy peasy...

if it were me trying to get pretty good sound on a slim budget, start with good speakers, add Alpine Power Pack amp which works great with (most)OEM radios. and then to add a little bass, I'd go with a Kicker Hideaway sub and amp combo.

a little better option than that would be again to start with great speakers, this time get a 5ch amp to drive the speakers and a real sub in box. also would recommend a really good audio interface module that can allow you to compensate for the OEM radio's bass roll off (like an Audiocontrol unit) instead of a basic line output converter. but that is sure to run you over six bills. one 5ch that is pretty cheap but not bad quality nor is it short on power, is the Pioneer GM-D9605 As for as speakers, some of the best sounding speakers that can actually be found for pretty cheap is Pioneer's TS-D series as for a real sub, there are a lot of other things to consider before just throwing something out there like size vs performance...

and I always recommend at least some sound deadening, especially in smaller cheaper cars like a focus. and you don't need much, if placed in the right places, a little goes a long way.

as for the ST2, that Sony amp is really going to make it a lot harder (aka more expensive) to upgrade the system. with that one, I'd go with at least option two from above, but you will need a very specific audio interface unit that at a minimum offers signal summing, and you're definitely going to want something that can correct some of the OEM EQ issues.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it seems either way, it would be best to replace the oem speakers (ST1 or ST2) then worry about the amp/sub.
For the ST2, i've gathered from the info from the forum that I'd basically want to replace that with some lci6/7 amp thing and semi-rewire everything if I was serious in getting some decent audio?
For the ST1 since the only thing i have to worry about is the head harness - there is a lot of room for creativity?

ST2, is basically ST1 but gotta think about what the 'special' audio head harness can do? (expensive because have to replace the existing amp/sub/wiring??)

·
Registered
473 Posts
For the st1/2 you can just replace the crap factory with low power high efficiency replacements. There are a few guides on here already.
You will need a loc, or dsp, amp that accepts high level inputs for adding amps on either platform, it's just a matter of where the signal comes from. The st2 you have to worry about keeping enough of a load on the Sony amp that it doesn't overheat. Adding a sub +amp for the sub, replacing stock speakers doesn't require too much, its when you want to add amping the doors that gets more interesting. Pm me if you have more detailed questions or want more recommendations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts