Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm not racing or driving the car hard. The stock rotors are toast at 50k. I had them turned 5k miles ago and put new pads on. They were under spec but the dealer turned them anyways. They are warped again so I guess it's time to replace.

I'm looking for:
1.Stock or better stopping power

2.Cheapest price without sacrificing quality

3.I like to feed money into the companies that support our hobby. So preferably a sponsored of the forum, although local auto zone is just fine.

4.Longevity. I'm a college student so less money over time of the name of the game.

I'm not doing anything but daily driving, and at that, I'm very easy on the car. Stock replacements are fine. Upgrades are great as long as the price is comparable to stock replacements.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I got some high carbon stop tech rotors from Edge Autosport for $150.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
how long have you had them??? how are they holding up???
Just got them on, but they have the hub area and the vane area coated in black to avoid rusting that you see on rotors. Hoping they hold up nicely.

Reactions: 909cobra

·
Registered
483 Posts
just get a discount code for Advance Auto Parts and get the cheapest rotors they sell. I promise you, they'll work fine. I have responded to many of these kind of threads with the same advice.

I run a TT race car and have tried many different kinds of rotors, including custom 2 piece. The cheapies have worked great for me. Now I am sure that their may come a time where the ultra pricey rotors may be better, but I am not even close to being at that point and I can assure you that my TT Mustang is harder on brakes than your Focus street car will ever be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just get a discount code for Advance Auto Parts and get the cheapest rotors they sell. I promise you, they'll work fine. I have responded to many of these kind of threads with the same advice.

I run a TT race car and have tried many different kinds of rotors, including custom 2 piece. The cheapies have worked great for me. Now I am sure that their may come a time where the ultra pricey rotors may be better, but I am not even close to being at that point and I can assure you that my TT Mustang is harder on brakes than your Focus street car will ever be.
You know, I'm glad you said that. I've been looking around and was apprehensive to pick something to cheap. Like maybe I'd be giving something up over the stock rotors. It's looking like 110-120$ is the going rate for a pair of basic duralast or brakebest rotors. Sound 'bout right?

·
Registered
483 Posts
After I get a discount code for my 13" mustang rotors, I pay about $80. A lot of times I get free shipping. I've done the same thing with the brakes on my F350 tow rig and never had a problem. If you want better braking, without buying a big brake kit, get better performing pads, braided brake lines, and flush your fluid with better fluid. Ford factory brake fluid is pretty good though.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
After I get a discount code for my 13" mustang rotors, I pay about $80. A lot of times I get free shipping. I've done the same thing with the brakes on my F350 tow rig and never had a problem. If you want better braking, without buying a big brake kit, get better performing pads, braided brake lines, and flush your fluid with better fluid. Ford factory brake fluid is pretty good though.
:whs: honestly the stock blanks (and most blanks) are fine. Don't go slotted or drilled because it's not practical for our uses, just a waste of money and it "looks cool." If you want better stopping power upgrade your pads. Then do as wheelhopper said above and you'll be stopping on a dime.

And he's right about Ford brake fluid, pretty great for stock fluid which saves us a little money if we aren't on a track.

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
I went with Duralast from Autozone all the way around; for street use they are fine. They meet or exceed OEM specs.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
552 Posts
i wouldnt cheap out on rotors and pads (tires as well)as thats the stuff that stops you and is in contact with the road. Anyways, you can go with blanks or slotted (NO drilled) pick a decent brand. For Pads i would go with EBC or Akebono - Installed EBC on the family's Honda Pilot and those pads are awesome! Great bite and stopping power, good with modulation too.

Reactions: SOCOMike

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have some two-piece StopTech but since you are looking for something on the cheap side, that clearly isn't for you. I believe that the 2-piece rotors are some $800 for the set.
Then again, since I track the car...

I destroyed the stock rotors in 20 minutes at Laguna Seca, so hmmmm, conclusion: don't use the stock brakes at the track :crazy:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I haven't driven my Focus on the track, but did track my Fiesta ST twice at NJMP and Summit Point. I wasn't trying to set any records, but the completely stock brake set up did pretty good.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I haven't driven my Focus on the track, but did track my Fiesta ST twice at NJMP and Summit Point. I wasn't trying to set any records, but the completely stock brake set up did pretty good.
I don't know about the FiST but the stock brakes on the ST are crap at the track.
Keep in mind that Laguna is tough on the brakes so there's also that. Another dude with a FoST also toasted his stock brakes at the track and it was worse than what I did. He ended up melting the brake piston seals.

Here's what the disks looked like after one session (20min):

st-rotor-1.jpg ST-rotor-2.jpg

The 2-piece StopTech rotors
ST-rotors-3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I don't know about the FiST but the stock brakes on the ST are crap at the track.
Keep in mind that Laguna is tough on the brakes so there's also that. Another dude with a FoST also toasted his stock brakes at the track and it was worse than what I did. He ended up melting the brake piston seals.

Here's what the disks looked like after one session (20min):

View attachment 201090 View attachment 201098

The 2-piece StopTech rotors
View attachment 201106
OP is not racing or driving the car hard as he said in the first post, therefore stock brakes are fine lol. Leguna Seca testing doesn't really apply here

·
Registered
205 Posts
LOL, right, sorry for derailing the thread. Like I mentioned the 2-piece rotors aren't for him considering the price. But they make 1-piece slotted one that are quite nice and much better than the stock ones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll likely go with the college student special. Whatever rotor is the local auto parts "premium" brand. Seems like I can get out of there for 100$ or so and they meet all OE requirements. I'm in my car, quite literally, to drive from home to school, then from school to the gym, and then home again. Highway mostly.

·
Registered
2014 ST1
191 Posts
IMG_4099.JPG I have the one piece stoptech slots I got from @FoSTMods. He was cheaper than tire rack and the shipping was pretty quick too. So far I have 20k miles on them without a problem

·
Registered
475 Posts
I tested out the brakes pretty good about a week ago or so and I tell ya, the stock pads pretty much suck, horrible brake fade. I could not even imagine running these on the track. Will up grade soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts