Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My knowledge of the Focus ST has been growing ever since I picked it up last October. One thing I regrettably was unaware of was just how bad the paint is on our cars. I drove it 350 miles across the state of Washington several times back and forth between college and home being blissfully ignorant of how much punishment the front end takes. As a result, my front bumper is now rock chipped to hell and has a ton of "ghosting" in the paint from dead bugs.

So I'm curious... What should my next course of action be to get my front bumper looking good again? It's so bad that I'm at the point where I think a full repaint + clear bra is about my only option. I'm unfamiliar with clay barring, but I don't think that would fix the ghosting problem, and I know it won't fix the rock chips.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
You'd be surprised what a clay bar will do but ultimately you need to put a clear bra on it. I 100% regret not doing it on mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll give the clay bar a try before resorting to a full repaint. It would cost me a lot less, that's for sure. I really regret not putting a clear bra on mine, too. Luckily the rock chips don't show up in the silver paint from a distance but up close it looks like hell.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
You can buy the touch up paint from the dealer for a decent price usually. I'd touch up with that then wrap it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Try claybarring, and maybe a paint chip pen till you can save some extra cash, have the front clip resprayed, and then clear wrapped....

But then again, imho, alot of times... filled paint chips, look worse than if you just left them alone

·
Registered
73 Posts
The etching from the acidic guts will require cleaning the paint with a paint cleaner. Missing paint can only be fixed one way though, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The etching from the acidic guts will require cleaning the paint with a paint cleaner. Missing paint can only be fixed one way though, unfortunately.

Which paint cleaner would you recommend?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Clay first and see what the paint looks like after. Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion work good, but if the bug gut are etched into the paint the only way to get rid of them is to polish them out.

For the rock chips try Dr Colorchip. Easier to use and I got better results than my attempt at fixing them with the factory touch up paint.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Which paint cleaner would you recommend?
It's always good to go least aggressive to most aggressive. Not sure what you have, but I'd start with something like Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 and go to Ultimate Compound if that doesn't work. You can find both readily available in stores.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clay first and see what the paint looks like after. Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion work good, but if the bug gut are etched into the paint the only way to get rid of them is to polish them out.

For the rock chips try Dr Colorchip. Easier to use and I got better results than my attempt at fixing them with the factory touch up paint.
I will try this as well. Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm glad I don't have to resort to a full repaint just yet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Clay plus a polish and wax for bug gut issues. I like DRColorChip for paint chips or alternately a paint pen/touch up paint from the dealer plus the Langka Blob Eliminator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always used factory touch up paint and cut it down with Langka and a old T shirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Factory touch up paint and then cut it down with Langka & an old T shirt. If to take your time you will never be able to tell where the chips were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts