Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I feel like 'cheating' on my car just by posting this lol. So I've had my '13 ST for over 4 years now and although I still like it as a daily, I'm nearing the 'limits' of my car, at least, my limits as far as tuning it for the street. Before anyone jumps on and starts bashing my post, the end goal for my car is a streetable, mildly tuned ST that I could enjoy as a daily driver. At this point, I'm on stage 2 mods engine wise and see no point in going stage 3 since it'll just make spinning my front tires easier. Suspension wise, it's pretty mild as well and consists of STX coilovers, rswb, front and rear stb and front traction bar. I have a couple of other suspension parts I haven't installed but you get my drift. I have several other small parts installed here and there as well. The next major parts for my build would be exhaust and LSD but I'm only going to do the diff IF I decide to keep going down the path of tuning my ST further. I won't be switching cars in the next two years that's for sure but I need to make a decision at some point to stop working on my ST and start saving up for the next one. As far as other cars, I'm gravitating towards domestic V8 power and narrowed it down to either a used S550 or C6. So should I keep going or just stop and start saving up for the next project? Oh and I'd rather not get a second project car since I don't have the space, time and money to spare to pick one up.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Gotcha well the s550 is a sedan that weighs at least 2 and a half tons. The c6 is a great bargain right now for the performance. There are a lot of cars that may fit in your box if v8 and sporty are your only factors.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Imo...you're nowhere near any limits for this car where you're sitting. Sounds to me like you've already decided to be on to the next car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Focus RS or Shelby GT!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
if you wanna go fast 2.0 fwd isnt the platform to do it on (unless you have racks on racks). keep it a DD and move on to something else for fun/speed. don't let other people tell you what car is better than what. get out and drive the cars you're considering and choose which one you like best.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Buy the limited slip for the ST transmission.
Quaife ATB Differential, Focus ST 2013-2018 $999.
plus this kit: mountune ATB Differential Installation Kit - Focus ST $124.00

When you write of spinning the wheels..
You really mean spinning ONE WHEEL. Because that is the reality of a FWD car with no limited slip diff.
(yeah the traction control may do some good.. but no where near what a limited slip differential can do)

So if your giving up on the power due to slipping wheel... THIS is the solution.

When I put a Quaif into my Contour SVT.. WOW. the off the line became a REAL experience.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sounds like you just want another car.

Keep the ST, and dump money into the rwd vehicle for more fun.
Exactly what I'm doing. I had my Lightning for several years before the ST. Now I can do large projects on the Lightning and drive the ST everyday.
I want more power out of the ST and will likely just go "stage 2" and leave it I mainly want the tune but in Texas I will need the I/C as well. 260+/340+ is more than enough power for these little things. (actually will be more power than my previous 2v Mustang when it dynoed at 259/298 and 324/383 on spray)

Reactions: LuckyWelds

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice and yeah I meant Mustang GT when I said S550. Just to respond to the comment about being no were near reaching the tuning limits of my ST, like I said, I'm close to reaching my limit of what I think a streetable DD ST should be. I haven't made up my mind that's for sure but I need to draw the line at some point and that line could be the LSD like what @E.E. said.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Gotcha well the s550 is a sedan that weighs at least 2 and a half tons. The c6 is a great bargain right now for the performance. There are a lot of cars that may fit in your box if v8 and sporty are your only factors.
Pretty sure he meant the s550 Mustang ;)

ah hell I guess I should read more posts.

I'm the same as you OP. I bought my ST for a daily driver, now I don't need a daily driver, and I don't daily my ST, I have a beater, and if I knew I would have been in this situation I would have gone with a '16 5.0 my self, preferably in Grabber Blue.

The ST is still a great fun car, but if you have the RWD v8 bug, then that's that.

This is a local friends Mustang, it's currently the second fastest 6R80 street legal s550 in the country. He's putting down around 1350 at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I should have went with a Mustang GT. I like the ST, but rwd is just so much more fun!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I should have went with a Mustang GT. I like the ST, but rwd is just so much more fun!
yup, I feel yah, the ST is my first performance FWD car, after owning three Mustangs, 68 fastback, 89 convertible 5.0, and a 95 Cobra.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for the advice and yeah I meant Mustang GT when I said S550. Just to respond to the comment about being no were near reaching the tuning limits of my ST, like I said, I'm close to reaching my limit of what I think a streetable DD ST should be. I haven't made up my mind that's for sure but I need to draw the line at some point and that line could be the LSD like what @E.E. said.
I hear you, everyone has diff opinions and that's totally cool. Just sayin I DD the sh!t out of my car and it's sittin at 409/380. I find it to be super fun. Traction is a problem for sure from a stop, but the Stratified TC helps along with learning throttle control. From a roll its a solid performer. I'm def planning to do the LSD in the future.

Anyways, good luck with the decision!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: angrychair
1 - 17 of 17 Posts