Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up, guys! Ford just announced that the A8/B8 navigation SD card update is coming next month. If you haven't already gotten the A7 or B7 card yet, and were planning on getting one, I would suggest waiting just a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heads up, guys! Ford just announced that the A8/B8 navigation SD card update is coming next month. If you haven't already gotten the A7 or B7 card yet, and were planning on getting one, I would suggest waiting just a couple more weeks.
Thanks for the update OP. Not sure why valid information like this went down the toilet so quickly, but I appreciate it. I just updated my 2013 Pathfinder and was planning in doing my 2014 ST. Don't mind the haters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
How does the update info get pushed out generally? Do you have to check that MySync website or something similar? What do updates typically run$$ ??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is actually the first time that Ford has sent a notice to the dealers that I've seen. We usually find out when we go to order them for stock, and the number has changed.

This is the navigation SD card update for those of us still on MyFord Touch, not SYNC3. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough!

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I'm confused. How do you get the update? Mine says up to date on the website. Sorry for the newb question, only had the car a few months. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
you have to get an SD card from Ford.

the A7 is the current/older version, A8 is coming out. the A7 is like $150ish right now

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you have Sync 3 it should update on it's own as long as you allow it to connect to your wireless router. I got in my car two weeks ago and it was updating and I left to do errands and it finished through my phone while I was on the road.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I received a letter in the mail stating that there is a Sync 3 Nav update available. I have a 2017 ST3 with nav, so I thought I'd take a look... The mailer gives the wrong web address for information on obtaining the update, but I find it comical that Ford is charging money for this update, even if your car is still in warranty. $200 for the SD-card version, and $110 if you want to download it yourself.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Huh- I knew nothing about this until I researched "A10". So any "A10 card will include this latest update? I see them FS on eBay for $25 OBO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's correct, there are B10 etc.. but A10 is what came in our cars, and comes in many other Fords with Nav. The ones you see on ebay are chinese copies, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. It's a bit of a crapshoot. I'd recommend walking your local u-pull to see if there are any still installed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I received a letter in the mail stating that there is a Sync 3 Nav update available. I have a 2017 ST3 with nav, so I thought I'd take a look... The mailer gives the wrong web address for information on obtaining the update, but I find it comical that Ford is charging money for this update, even if your car is still in warranty. $200 for the SD-card version, and $110 if you want to download it yourself.
Unfortunately, Ford does not own the rights to the maps. They are owned by another entity that licenses the content on a per device basis to Ford. Eventually Ford has to pay them for the cars sold that contain those maps/content/licenses/intellectual property.

An update, is not free to Ford; and Ford being in the business of making money, has no obligation to give it to you either. Your maps are not "broken," so I'm not sure how being under warranty makes any difference? I'm sure there is a good amount of markup from Ford for this, but that also covers the test and dev to make sure it works properly too. It's not like they are making millions here in GPS NAV updates... I bet tens of thousands per year at best, globally.

Go back 20yrs at least, and we used to have garmin or Magellan GPS units. Remember those? Well they sold map updates for those, even back then! Eventually you could buy a lifetime subscription for a reasonable fee, but that was only after cell phones became a threat to their business model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts