Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try my best to keep it brief as I'm actually making a full VLOG for Youtube about this. (80 gigs of footage shot)

I arrived in Salt Lake City just after lunchtime on Saturday the 15th of April with an old time friend of mine named Wayne. Wayne got a Fiesta ST brand new and we both decided to make the trip together and split the cost of the hotel room and rental car together as well as just explore SLC together. What an amazing and beautiful place! You're literally in a valley between some of the most scenic and picturesque mountain ranges ever, the trip was worth it just from that stand point alone. We drove around and explored that first day in our awesome Kia Rio rental car which we totally beat the snot out of. It is after all, the fastest car in the world.

20170415_200711.jpg 20170415_173803.jpg

Easter Sunday Wayne introduced me to his friend whom he sold his Z06 to which in turn, lead me to getting the keys to the Z06 and told to drive it, hard. I get it now, I see why every man who is going through a midlife crisis buys a Corvette. They're AMAZING cars. Later that day we went to the dinner reception at the Ford Performance Racing School. They've got a little museum in there with some really awesome photos and some equally awesome cars including an original GT40 and my personal favorite, 1 of 200 ever made homologated copies of the RS200 Group B rally car.

photo_2017-04-16_16-49-40.jpg 20170416_172528.jpg

After the reception we made friends with some of the other ST owners there, went back to the hotel, grabbed a few beers from the gas station nearby and partied together, was good fun. Next morning we went back to the track for our classroom session in which we changed into race suits and threw on a helmet.

20170417_074235.jpg 20170417_100251.jpg

After being driven around the track, we went into the pits and were split up into two groups. First group got to go on the track, second group went out to the last turns and got to witness and learn what we were doing. I was in the first group which was split again into Focus and Fiestas, your choice. We did a "Follow the Leader" behind a Mustang GT showing us all the proper apexes and how to use all the track. We came back in, the Fiestas came in a little bit after us and we switched to the Fiesta. What a slippery little thing, the car I was driving felt like it was on the verge of losing traction at every turn. We came back in, switched groups, saw the other group go out on the track. After that we switched again, for hotlaps at our own pace. I was doing quite well, I actually managed to catch the Focus in front of me and sadly wasn't allowed to pass him. After about 6 laps solo I came back in and had an instructor join me. I thought I was doing pretty good until the former Porsche driver and Le Mans veteran was telling me I could be pushing the car a lot harder. Eventually with his instruction he said I wasn't too shabby. Back to the pits for the other group to go out, that's when I ran into Wayne who was grinning ear to ear.

20170417_114032.jpg

We finished the track session with some laps in the Fiesta with the instructors driving us. They're on a completely different level, that's for sure! After lunch we headed out to the skid pad in a bunch of Fiestas and learned how to do 180* whip arounds, 90* turns into a parking box and how to negotiate a figure 8 in preparation for the Autocross segment of the day. Luckily for me, I used to slide my 240sx when I was a young juvenile and so ripping the e-brake and counter steering was relatively easy for me, not to mention I've got a few autocross events in various cars under my belt. When all was said and done we got the results of the autocross times. It was an extremely close grouping with the #1 and #2 places being decided by .005 of a second. That's 5/1000th's of a second or 5 milliseconds. To put that into perspective, that's how fast a hummingbird's wing flaps.

And your's truly was the winner, taking home the coveted orange traffic cone trophy.

20170417_164348.jpg 20170417_164355.jpg

We finished the day with a graduation ceremony in which we got a goodie bag, a certificate of completion and a trophy with our name on it and the lever of the hydro e-brake we used in the Fiestas. I would absolutely go again, 10/10. Probably the most fun I've ever had in a long time. If you guys bought your Focus brand new, you have a year to register and go to the class. I HIGHLY recommend it.

photo_2017-04-19_12-12-54.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick little update about this:

Made a teaser trailer to take a break from editing the real video. Enjoy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts