Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this was unexpected and unfortunate.

I installed a Steeda rear sway bar on my car in the summer of 2012. It was purchased brand new and it went in in perfect condition.

Fast forward to this summer and suddenly something seems...wrong. With the car in the air we inspect the bar and find that it has completely broken in two due to rust. We took photos and I got in touch with Steeda. To their credit the person I was dealing with initially was very helpful and great to correspond with, but then my request was transferred to another individual. After only a few more back-and-forths I received this response:

"Hi Bill. first of all rust is a atmospheric condition, not a defect in workmanship. 2nd the bars coating is only covered for 1 year especially with a harsh northern climate that you live in..."

Now I could *maybe* understand something like this happening if I lived in Ontario and never washed my car, but considering this is Alberta and the car is washed extremely frequently, I am alarmed at how fast this piece failed. Nothing else on my car is showing anything more than usual surface rust, nor have I even experienced anything like this on my other vehicle which is 24 years old and was driven through 20 full winters.

To stress, this is not some minor issue of a bit of coating wearing; the bar is now in two pieces and therefore is nothing more than scrap now, needing to be replaced. I am rather unimpressed with the service I received and especially frustrated that it seems to have just been written off as "this stuff happens" due to my living north of the border and an assumption that it automatically means my car is subjected to excessive salt and chemicals.

·
Administrator
11,866 Posts

I installed a Steeda rear sway bar on my car in the summer of 2012. It was purchased brand new and it went in in perfect condition.

Fast forward to this summer and suddenly something seems...wrong. With the car in the air we inspect the bar and find that it has completely broken in two due to rust. We took photos and I got in touch with Steeda. To their credit the person I was dealing with initially was very helpful and great to correspond with, but then my request was transferred to another individual. After only a few more back-and-forths I received this response:

"Hi Bill. first of all rust is a atmospheric condition, not a defect in workmanship. 2nd the bars coating is only covered for 1 year especially with a harsh northern climate that you live in..."

Now I could *maybe* understand something like this happening if I lived in Ontario and never washed my car, but considering this is Alberta and the car is washed extremely frequently, I am alarmed at how fast this piece failed. Nothing else on my car is showing anything more than usual surface rust, nor have I even experienced anything like this on my other vehicle which is 24 years old and was driven through 20 full winters.

To stress, this is not some minor issue of a bit of coating wearing; the bar is now in two pieces and therefore is nothing more than scrap now, needing to be replaced. I am rather unimpressed with the service I received and especially frustrated that it seems to have just been written off as "this stuff happens" due to my living north of the border and an assumption that it automatically means my car is subjected to excessive salt and chemicals.
I am sorry to hear this. Premature failure of a part is nothing to brush off, blaming your climate for it's deterioration is nonsense. I normally lurk in the shadows regarding Steeda, but this is just ridiculous.

Could you post some pics of the RSB and failure? I'd like to see it before any other Steeda threads occur. I would be most appreciative with some photographic details.

As of right now though, I still want nothing to do with their parts personally. There seem to be much better options with better customer support. You can PM me if you'd like my suggestions, personally I don't like shoving brands down peoples throats, my position is to lend a helping hand or suggestion where it's wanted.

Reactions: Lou64

·
Administrator
11,866 Posts
Would you please provide pictures (clear pics) of the failure so we all can check out what happened and provide you some information. :big smile:
Lol, beat you to it, slow poke...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try to get some new photos with my actual camera as soon as I can crawl under the car, instead of post the cell-phone photos I have so far.

·
Administrator
11,866 Posts
I'll try to get some new photos with my actual camera as soon as I can crawl under the car, instead of post the cell-phone photos I have so far.
We are here to help, and will wait patiently for the pics. Whatever insight we can lend, we will.

May your situation get sorted swiftly, and favorably.

Reactions: Twenty

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

Hello Bill,

I apologize for the issues you have experienced, I totally understand your frustration.

Please send me your contact info, order number & photos to [email protected]. Let me do some work behind the scenes & see what we can figure out.

Additionally - if you don't have your order number, can you let me know where you purchased the bar from.

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

Hello Bill,

I apologize for the issues you have experienced, I totally understand your frustration.

Please send me your contact info, order number & photos to [email protected]. Let me do some work behind the scenes & see what we can figure out.

Additionally - if you don't have your order number, can you let me know where you purchased the bar from.

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow this is surprising. I recently purchased a few parts from steeda and I later received a hand written thank you card, thanking me for my business. Ive been wrenching on cars for half my life (15 years) and buying aftermarket parts and I've NEVER experience anything like that before. I hope they sort it out for you, because thats a little bit ****ty.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Ah yes. The usual "Let's wait and see if he escalates until we try to make it right" move.

Customer service at it's finest.
Until I see the photos, ask who he spoke with, etc. ... Steeda doesn't know for sure what happened. Not saying this is the case but we have had instances where an issue has been reported & it actually was caused by an installation error or debris in the road.

Like I asked the OP, please give me some time to see what took place & talk to the team in regards to the situation.

We have been in business for over 28 years & this didn't happen by accident - it is because we make high quality parts & have great customer service. We will work with the customer to ensure the proper steps are taken to resolve the issue at hand once we review on our end.

Best Regards,

TJ

Best Regards,

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Wow this is surprising. I recently purchased a few parts from steeda and I later received a hand written thank you card, thanking me for my business. Ive been wrenching on cars for half my life (15 years) and buying aftermarket parts and I've NEVER experience anything like that before. I hope they sort it out for you, because thats a little bit ****ty.
Bliss - you are in good hands with Steeda - our parts are designed, engineered, manufactured & tested right here in the U.S.A. under strict ISO 9001:2008 conditions. We have made a significant investment in the equipment we use to manufacture the parts ... that is why we are able to warranty them & stand behind them 100%.

Best Regards,

TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of that myself. Never seen a sway bar brake in half before. Even on 25 year old cars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been purchasing from Steeda for Mustangs for some years. Their customer service is top notch as well as the quality of their parts. I've yet to purchase anything from them for the ST but wouldn't hesitate to do so. TJ is on every damn forum Steeda has a platform for on the internet and he does a great job keeping up with folks. He'll take care of you as long as you can provide the info he's after and don't act like a total turd (not suggesting you are). Good luck!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts