Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,825 Posts
Ah! The @TurboGT

The OG “ecoboost” mustang. Did those things make any power?
2.3 twin spark plug SVO made some crazy power. Unfortunately they could mangle an 8.8 rear axle faster than there 5 liter counterparts could.

·
2,045 Posts
Ah! The @TurboGT

The OG “ecoboost” mustang. Did those things make any power?
No, but it made 13 more horsepower than the v8 of that year (1980, what the other posted had). After looking, it also didnt have a special name piece. Gt turbo came about for 84 only. In 84, the GT turbo and v8 models both had the same 145hp.

Reactions: Tiberius1701

·
Registered
14 Posts
2594442, member: 112473"]
Ah! The GT Turbo! I know one guy with one of those, '84 i think it is. '85 it turned into the SVO if memory serves.
[/QUOTE]
Nope just the first generation 2.3 draw-through carbureted Turbo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
#1 Who ever did your oil may have done something to it.
#2 Get a bore camera and look in the cylinders, see if there is metal or coolant in the cylinders.

·
Administrator
10,322 Posts
Lol, I've bounced off the limiter quite a bit over the years, especially during burnouts.

The real problem here, was beating on a used vehicle that wasn't thoroughly inspected. It's condition was unknown. It had a leak, so thats a red flag right off the bat.

Just a mistake, that is going to be costly. Also, hopefully, a life lesson.

Gotta pay, to play.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
318 Posts
The main reason I got a dashtop tach with the last normal car was to try to avoid rev limiter on cloverleaf onramps, which worked maybe 4/5 days :giggle: :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
2594442, member: 112473"]
Ah! The GT Turbo! I know one guy with one of those, '84 i think it is. '85 it turned into the SVO if memory serves.
Nope just the first generation 2.3 draw-through carbureted Turbo.
[/QUOTE]
yep i had a 79 white turbo stang. blew 2 head gaskets. had a water injection system on it and adjustable knob boost controller inside the car. sprayed through the carb so i could run 15lbs of boost. ran like snot until the damn nozzle clogged up. then the head gasket went bye bye.i used tap water rather than distilled. always learn from your mistakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you said you got it a month ago but went 3k over the allowable mileage, how many miles you do in a month, then you got mileage discrepancies too ive hit the limiter before, but it didnt implode , iam thinking more to it than your saying

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
244 Posts
you said you got it a month ago but went 3k over the allowable mileage, how many miles you do in a month, then you got mileage discrepancies too ive hit the limiter before, but it didnt implode , iam thinking more to it than your saying

Honestly don't think hitting the rev limiter on a linear, momentus shift is a problem or really even abusive... banging off rev limiter while traction/load is rapidly changing.... that's a lot of repetitive drivetrain shock.

·
Registered
232 Posts
One-hundred and sixteen thousand miles. Unknown how the FoST was treated by it's previous caretakers. The word lemon should not even come into this discussion. Having said that, I feel for you. Back in ancient times (March of 1982 to be precise) I had my 1980 Mustang Turbo drop a valve in cylinder #4, $2500.00 later (about 10 grand today) car was back in my hands. Hope you get back on the road soon!
I can out-do that one man.
When I was a high school freshman, my buddy and I stopped to gawk at a new anniversary GT 350 mustang on the lot... 84 1/2.
Small small town, the lone salesman came barreling out to save us from ourselves and within minutes, offered a test drive (snicker). I'm still no sure why on Gods green earth he let us go alone, but he did.
My buddy drove first on the way outta town, we turned around and swapped seats, my turn on the way back! The poor thing hit somewhere around 7500-7800 before it let go (third gear), left an oil streak 1/4 mile long while I was trying to get it stopped. State cop stopped and we told him how perplexed we were, "it just blew up on a test drive". There were hols all over the passenger side of that block, it was horrendously grenaded.
The salesman came slanking down the road in the tow truck after the state cop stopped in and told him we needed an assist (small town, remember)... he was fit to be tied man. He crammed us in the cab, hooked the car, and back into town we went. We pulled into the lot and he said "you two stay RIGHT HERE til I get back!" He pulled the wrecker and car back behind to the service door and we cheesed it man. We were haulin a## out of there.
Every day when we drove by there after school on the way home, we could see it out back, hood off, front all raked up in the air with the engine out of it. It sat like that for probably 6 months before it finally disappeared.
I still want one of those old Fox body rippers to this day.

·
2,045 Posts
We had the RS cosworth in the eighties, was then and still is a legend.
If i could Own an RS500 (with the second set of fuel injectors hooked up), id die a happy man.

·
2,045 Posts
I remember those... I wanted one SO bad. I never seen one IRL though, ever.
They must be rather rare.
They are. And i think most of the road-going versions were stolen. Extremly hot car for car theft.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
318 Posts
I can out-do that one man.
When I was a high school freshman, my buddy and I stopped to gawk at a new anniversary GT 350 mustang on the lot... 84 1/2.
Small small town, the lone salesman came barreling out to save us from ourselves and within minutes, offered a test drive (snicker). I'm still no sure why on Gods green earth he let us go alone, but he did.
My buddy drove first on the way outta town, we turned around and swapped seats, my turn on the way back! The poor thing hit somewhere around 7500-7800 before it let go (third gear), left an oil streak 1/4 mile long while I was trying to get it stopped. State cop stopped and we told him how perplexed we were, "it just blew up on a test drive". There were hols all over the passenger side of that block, it was horrendously grenaded.
The salesman came slanking down the road in the tow truck after the state cop stopped in and told him we needed an assist (small town, remember)... he was fit to be tied man. He crammed us in the cab, hooked the car, and back into town we went. We pulled into the lot and he said "you two stay RIGHT HERE til I get back!" He pulled the wrecker and car back behind to the service door and we cheesed it man. We were haulin a## out of there.
Every day when we drove by there after school on the way home, we could see it out back, hood off, front all raked up in the air with the engine out of it. It sat like that for probably 6 months before it finally disappeared.
I still want one of those old Fox body rippers to this day.

View attachment 386907
Those look like Capri wheels?! I knew somebody that had one, but they were interchangeable I'm sure 😁

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,825 Posts
As a friendly reminder "no politics" period! I have to deal with that **** all day professionally. I won't do it here.

Thanks

J

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST2
1 Posts
I've certainly bounced mine off the limiter a few times, but I also don't thrash on a vehicle without recognizing:
1. Any issues with the vehicle
2. The consequences of my own actions

Good luck to op, but I don't think that dealer will be inclined to offer any assistance lol

61 - 80 of 88 Posts