Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Congrats on your ST and welcome to the family! Plans on mods?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on your ST and welcome to the family! Plans on mods?
I do have some future plans, yes. My car is a DD so I'm not going crazy with anything, especially in the short term. I'd actually love some advice on the sort of incremental, more chassis/drivetrain focused mods that I can sneak in while I'm still on my 3x36. I've noticed that CP-e has some good stuff. I really like their exhaust components at first glance as it seems they'll get me the throatier sound I want but not be boomy in the cabin. I'm also looking into anything that will reduce unsprung weight, tighten up what is already, to me, a fantastic shifter assembly, something to stiffen the motor/chassis connection as that seems to be a weak spot on all sport compacts. I'd even look into some carbon fiber bits as well. To sum it up:

While under warranty:

Engine:
Start building a platform with supporting mods for a future turbo swap, so exhaust, intake, maybe cooling if necessary, etc. I will reserve a reflash until the 3x36 expires so I can't do too much here (as much as I would like to).

Chassis:
This is where I'll go wild. Any unsprung weight that can be reduced, will. Lighter (but still strong) control arms, wheels, etc. I see TSW Nurburgrings in bronze in my future.
I am not a fan of how the stock brakes engage early in the travel, it's not a very linear response. Any advice on what to do here would be really appreciated, as brakes are well outside my realm of knowledge (other than how to replace parts). I'd also like to look into closing that gap between the natural positions of the gas and brake pedals ASAP, so any advice here would be huge as well.

Exterior:
Not too much here... for now.
I really just want some LED foglamp bulbs (yellow of course) before the next Michigan winter hits.
I'm also interested in whatever LED taillamps Spec-D makes available for the 15+ Foci.
I'd also look into carbon fiber panels for the front end, namely fenders and a hood.
RallyArmor flaps are a must.

Interior:
Nothing at the moment, maybe look into some carbon fiber wrap for some of the interior trim. That Sony head unit is a good candidate, maybe some others.
That and some WeatherTechs, and I'm all set.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I do have some future plans, yes. My car is a DD so I'm not going crazy with anything, especially in the short term. I'd actually love some advice on the sort of incremental, more chassis/drivetrain focused mods that I can sneak in while I'm still on my 3x36. I've noticed that CP-e has some good stuff. I really like their exhaust components at first glance as it seems they'll get me the throatier sound I want but not be boomy in the cabin. I'm also looking into anything that will reduce unsprung weight, tighten up what is already, to me, a fantastic shifter assembly, something to stiffen the motor/chassis connection as that seems to be a weak spot on all sport compacts. I'd even look into some carbon fiber bits as well. To sum it up:

While under warranty:

Engine:
Start building a platform with supporting mods for a future turbo swap, so exhaust, intake, maybe cooling if necessary, etc. I will reserve a reflash until the 3x36 expires so I can't do too much here (as much as I would like to).

Chassis:
This is where I'll go wild. Any unsprung weight that can be reduced, will. Lighter (but still strong) control arms, wheels, etc. I see TSW Nurburgrings in bronze in my future.
I am not a fan of how the stock brakes engage early in the travel, it's not a very linear response. Any advice on what to do here would be really appreciated, as brakes are well outside my realm of knowledge (other than how to replace parts). I'd also like to look into closing that gap between the natural positions of the gas and brake pedals ASAP, so any advice here would be huge as well.

Exterior:
Not too much here... for now.
I really just want some LED foglamp bulbs (yellow of course) before the next Michigan winter hits.
I'm also interested in whatever LED taillamps Spec-D makes available for the 15+ Foci.
I'd also look into carbon fiber panels for the front end, namely fenders and a hood.
RallyArmor flaps are a must.

Interior:
Nothing at the moment, maybe look into some carbon fiber wrap for some of the interior trim. That Sony head unit is a good candidate, maybe some others.
That and some WeatherTechs, and I'm all set.
Sounds like you've got a good bit figured out already. Motor mounts in this car will help put the power to the pavement, I've just got the cfm adjustable rmm at the moment and that cut down on the wheel hop and helped tame the torque steer, as well as give a little better throttle response. Shift assembly and solid bushings make for a shorter, much more crisp throw, with many shifter options available. I haven't done anything to the suspension but I will be adding some coilovers in the near future hopefully, again there are several good options to choose from. Do some reading around on here and you'll be able to find what others are doing and how they feel those changes have affected the driveability and handling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you've got a good bit figured out already. Motor mounts in this car will help put the power to the pavement, I've just got the cfm adjustable rmm at the moment and that cut down on the wheel hop and helped tame the torque steer, as well as give a little better throttle response. Shift assembly and solid bushings make for a shorter, much more crisp throw, with many shifter options available. I haven't done anything to the suspension but I will be adding some coilovers in the near future hopefully, again there are several good options to choose from. Do some reading around on here and you'll be able to find what others are doing and how they feel those changes have affected the driveability and handling.
Thanks! I have some experience with tuning from my Cobalt SS days, but every car is different so I'm taking all the advice I can get.

I like the CP-e two-axis mount, looks like a real winner and a well-thought out piece.

As for suspension, I don't want to touch the shocks & springs because Michigan, so coilovers are out of the question. I'm more interested in reducing the mass of the assemblies without sacrificing strength. Unsprung mass kills acceleration, braking, handling, ride, etc. more than just about anything so that will be something I am VERY interested in addressing if the parts are available.

Solid bushings will be a must, as with any manual transmission. As for a short throw, I'll tackle that in a year or two. I want to wear the transmission in a bit before I go that route.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you not worried about the 5 year 60k power train warranty?
Is it 5x60? I thought it was 3x36.

Either way, I'm not planning on going crazy with mods so I'm not too worried. The only thing that can really screw you there is a tune, because they can track that. Intake and exhaust bolt-ons are not really trackable, and I always retain my stock parts so if anything happens, and I'm very doubtful that anything will with what I'm planning, I'll just put all the stock stuff on before I bring it in.

·
Vendor
2,837 Posts
I do have some future plans, yes. My car is a DD so I'm not going crazy with anything, especially in the short term.

Engine:

Chassis:

I love us car guys, we go from "not going crazy with anything" to "big turbo and carbon fiber" everything in the matter of a couple paragraphs!

Welcome aboard, congrats on the new ride, let me know if there's anything I can help you source once that mod bug sinks its teeth in. I'm trying my best to be kind of a big deal on here and saving you money on parts is my path. We just picked up the Fiesta ST and Focus RS forum and guess who got nominated to work on those for the company? Looking forward to slangin' more parts for all the platforms!

Todd

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love us car guys, we go from "not going crazy with anything" to "big turbo and carbon fiber" everything in the matter of a couple paragraphs!

Welcome aboard, congrats on the new ride, let me know if there's anything I can help you source once that mod bug sinks it's teeth in. I'm trying my best to be kind of a big deal on here and saving you money on parts is my path. We just picked up the Fiesta ST and Focus RS forum and guess who got nominated to work on those for the company? Looking forward to slangin' more parts for all the platforms!

Todd
Hahaha absolutely!

I should clarify that the turbo swap will only be done IF this car stops being my daily. However, the more likely scenario is that I lightly mod this, and when it's paid off I wait around for the Gen4 RS and keep the ST as my daily driver.

In case you haven't noticed, I love Fords.

·
Vendor
2,837 Posts
Hahaha absolutely!

I should clarify that the turbo swap will only be done IF this car stops being my daily. However, the more likely scenario is that I lightly mod this, and when it's paid off I wait around for the Gen4 RS and keep the ST as my daily driver.

In case you haven't noticed, I love Fords.
I'll preface this by saying, I'm old. Apparently the story is, that while I was growing in that Saint of a woman's belly, my Mom and Dad were watching TV and there was a Ford commercial with a little kid in it named Todd. It was that commercial that gave them the idea for my name. Irony, my Dad was an avid Mopar guy and neither of them have ever owned a Ford.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts