Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to start with the happy ending first ;)

I put my deposit down in my new 2017 MM ST3 yesterday to be delivered to the dealership the 6-12th of February. Crossing my fingers it's there on Monday!

and the bad....the treatment I received at the dealership....

I first started shopping through Suburban Ford of Ferndale. They set me up with a salesman after I requested pricing online. So we exchanged a few emails and I set up a time to come in for a test drive. From the get go I said I was probably looking to buy in March/April, I knew I had to wait for tax returns and I thought it would take longer to make up extra scratch for a down payment. So I show up at the dealership the day of and the guy I'd been talking with wasn't there so they put me with another guy. So I explain to him i'll be waiting for my tax return but I know pretty much exactly what I want....they don't have the ST3 in any color on the lot and so he takes me for a ride in a ST2. From the get go I'm in the car grinning like a kid on Christmas (that grin ya'll talk about is real!) and I start asking him questions about everything. He answers, but seems annoyed that I want to know everything about the car...I recognize this and say "Sorry, I have about a million questions for you." he says insincerely "oh and I have answers for you."

So then we get on to the test drive. I don't think I've felt as uncomfortable in a car with another person since my very first Uber trip as a driver last summer. The guy then proceeded to tell me stories about how everyone drives these cars and mustangs crazy on test drives like they think they wont get tickets, makes comments like "have you even shifted yet?" Basically just kind of a ****. I get it dude, I'm a woman walking into a dealership to buy a performance car but how dare you treat me differently because of it. I came back in another day to ask some finance questions and he was less than helpful and unwilling to ask the finance manager my questions stating "he's just going to tell you to put in a credit app." I should've never went back after that but felt like since they had given the courtesy of running pricing for me and doing a test drive that I owed them some loyalty. So I get my tax returns back way early and reach out to have them check dealers for the car I want via email, no response. So I want into the dealer the next day, neither of the sales guys are in so I explain to the guy that walked up to me "I want to talk to someone about ordering a vehicle or a vehicle trade if a local dealer has the car I want." So he says okay let me get someone who can help you with that. So he walks in the back for about 5 minutes, comes up front and explains to me that the guy who could help me wasn't back there so my best bet was to call back tomorrow when either of the salesmen I requested would be in. Are you kidding me? I tell you I'm there to buy a car and you tell me to come back tomorrow? I walked out and said **** this! I knew a local dealer had the exact car I wanted as a "Dealer Order" from looking on Ford's website so that's where I went.

Man did I make the right choice. From the minute I walked in they were nice to me, listened to what I wanted and were just as excited as me about the car I was buying. They almost talked me into a RS...I'd kill for a nitrous blue beauty, but I really don't need that kind of car....yet ;) They were also helpful in informing about some local race tracks and that the dealership does a pre-Woodward Dream Cruise the week before with a big BBQ and car show if I wanted to come back for that. Half the sales floor let out a big hooray for me when I walked out of the financing office papers completed and deposit receipt in hand. So now I just have to wait for it to get delivered to the dealer. It kills me that my car is sitting in a parking lot 30 minutes from my house and I can't have it! We'll see how the delivery goes....but so far Dean Sellers Ford gets a A+++ rating from me.

Lastly, I just want to thank all the people who post on this forum. I have learned so much on here from the hours I've spent reading on everything and anything. It's ya'lls fault I'm going to drop thousands of dollars into this car and I'm not talking about paying it off. It's real hard for me to not buy everything now....but I keep telling myself to put some miles on it first and appreciate it stock so I can better understand the performance improvements i'm making later.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gd for u for not buying the car from those Ass*****,I would have done the same and even said FU lol.Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good for you, don't take BS from anyone when spending your hard earned $$. The good news is that there are plenty of cars around and you can find exactly what you want and should be treated with respect too.

It is amazing how differently dealers will treat customers, I'm a 45 year old guy and have been treated like I'm invisible too, so you're not alone.
Currently I've got 2- 2016 STs that I'm looking at and both are 300-400 miles away since the color/options I want are starting to dry up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to get a 2016 but they were gone by the time I had my tax return. I just really felt like he was treating me different because I'm a woman and don't look like the type that would be into this kind of car. I grew up around cars, my dad used to take me to the indy races as a kid, my mom taught me to drive stick in her 1972 stingray corvette when I was a teenager and I've driven a stick shift 7 of the last 8 years...don't treat me like an idiot.

If I had to travel that far I'd make a road trip out of it. I hope you find what you want! I had to settle for all season tires when I wanted summer, but at least I got the rims I wanted. I do not like the premium wheels :disappointed:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I assume the sales person didn't want to do a bunch of work just to hand over the commission to someone else... just sayin!

On the other hand, I would also expect better treatment from a sales person... make em work for it. It's your money at the end of the day, good to feel like you're coming out on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry to hear you had ass bad time on your first dealership. But her you got it dialed in. Congrats and nice to see another female Motorhead. I bought my girl friend a TS 3 and already put a CAI, CPE intercooler, Cat back, Cobb AP FSWERKS srage2 tune and plan on doing color change as soon as it warms up. Now I get to air bag my sq body s10 blaze?

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is too bad that you had a lousy experience, but I wouldn't automatically chalk it up to the fact that you are a woman. There are countless stories of guys getting similar treatment from dealers and sales people. It really sounds like the dealership was one big cluster. If a store can't come up with a sales guy or finance dudette to pitch in when you have a real, live, panting customer who wants to buy a vehicle you have one dysfunctional business venture. But they are all over the place in all sorts of business lines. Looks like Ford of Ferndale is one such business, at least during the time you went in there. It happens. Just shake it off and move on and enjoy your new vehicle. And post some pics.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
That is too bad that you had a lousy experience, but I wouldn't automatically chalk it up to the fact that you are a woman. There are countless stories of guys getting similar treatment from dealers and sales people. It really sounds like the dealership was one big cluster. If a store can't come up with a sales guy or finance dudette to pitch in when you have a real, live, panting customer who wants to buy a vehicle you have one dysfunctional business venture. But they are all over the place in all sorts of business lines. Looks like Ford of Ferndale is one such business, at least during the time you went in there. It happens. Just shake it off and move on and enjoy your new vehicle. And post some pics.
This guy sums it up perfectly. My thoughts are this dealership must of been capable enough to run a business at some point to get to where they are. Ultimately problem is OP dealt with crappy employees. Ironically spreading the word might help to get rid of those crappy employees but simultaneously gives us all a negative view on the dealership.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the first dealership. When I bought car the salesperson was awesome, walked into the dealership without even calling ahead, didn't plan on actually buying anything, just wanted to see if I actually wanted an ST. He took me out to the lot, looked at all the different packages, grabbed keys to an ST2, and went for a test drive. He was even patient with me stalling the car 2-3 times in the parking lot (Ive never driven a brand new manual car, i had a really hard time with the clutch). The next day I came in, signed paperwork and walked out with my 2016 ST1.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Welcome to the club! You'll surely have to post pictures when you get it! I've heard some horror stories of people getting treated poorly at some dealerships here in PA, but the person I dealt with through email at my dealership I bought from (McCafferty Ford in Carlisle) was great and I even haggled them down 2k off their used price they had it listed at because I was blunt and told them "I know you bought it off the dude for **this much** don't try to rip me off. I'll give you **this much** and we both win out." Even got a compliment from her for being so direct and professional.

When I went to actually go and test drive/buy it I got a different guy. The "hot shot" of the dealership who tries to outsell all his coworkers and has the "top customer service rating" and lets you know about it. Needless-to-say he honestly was a great guy..there's no doubting that. However, when I went to get my car I got my mother to drive me there. The issue I had regarding her being there was that the guy basically hit on her the entire time I was there (since she was single at the time). So that was a little odd, but maybe it worked out in my favor LOL. Even after taxes and fees I walked out of there like 800 less than they were asking for the car. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts