Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Sorry if I'm posting on the wrong section but I'm new to the site so I'm still figuring things out.

Today I bought my first ST. A 2014 Focus ST and I absolutely love it. But there's one thing that's making me a little skeptical. I bought the car from a really trustworthy family member that sells car for living. My car was reconstructed but everything looks flawless except for one thing. My Touch system and radio is different from all of the ST's I've seen. I'll post pictures of it later so you guys can see but I feel like it's not running the original version but instead it uses some cheap android version. So my question is, if I go to a Ford dealership and ask them to put the original Touch system would they do it? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
HI and welcome.

Pictures would help identify the system you have.
What trim level did you get? ST1 ST2 or3?
The ST1's have a small 4-1/2" screen, where as the ST2's &3's have a larger 6" screen (and a subwoofer in the back).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to be a ST1. I don't recall seeing a subwoofer in the back but the screen is bigger than 4-1/2" which tends me to believe that it's a aftermarket system since the car was reconstructed.
After the snowstorm stops, I'll go outside and take pictures.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Reactions: Cowlynz and iBrazil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this is what it looks like. I'm extremely positive that it's an aftermarket so my question would be if it's possible for me to put the original one back.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Here's the thing: Yours is an ST1. It came with the smaller screen. The head-unit and the bezel (buttons/controls) are obviously different.
If you went back to the original, 2 things to consider, Cost, and functionality. The original equipment to replace would be close to $1k. And you would be going back to a small screen. Opting for the ST2/3 head-unit would be even more cost, and compatibility... ST2&3s have duel climate control that the ST1 doesn't have. These functions are part of the sync system.
It's more $$ than it's worth in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for explaining. Like I said I'm new to this and this is my first car so I'm still figuring things out.
So could I replace it with another aftermarket system? I just don't like this one because it really sucks. It's buggy and slow.
I have a friend that had a ST2 and he took off a lot of parts after he crashed his car. His willing to sell me his entire unit for $400 aside from the duel climate control would everything work? Or am I better off buying a aftermarket one?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Can you identify what the system is? Maybe somewhere in the settings will tell the manufacture. Maybe check with the manufacturer if there is firmware/system updates.
The MFT was buggy when it first came out, but updates fixed all that.

Yes there are better head units available, some even support the sync system, like Kenwood, or Alpine, but again that's $$. They are good systems, but at what cost. As for buying the friend's ST2, there are other components other than the head-unit, mainly the external amp and the subwoofer, both in the hatch area.. Most of the wiring should be in place, but not a guarantee..
Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Can you identify what the system is? Maybe somewhere in the settings will tell the manufacture.

It looks like it's just a touch screen monitor; I don't think it will have its own settings because of Ford's firmware being installed on it. I could be wrong though, so good suggestion.
My answer would be to take it out and check for a model number (if there is no info available in settings).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts