Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this new 2016 Tangerine Scream Focus ST this past Saturday (2/11/17). Absolutely love this car and its color the only thing it has in common with the lime green beetle I was driving is that they are both easy to find in the parking lot! Please let me know of any hints or tips for these cars. Would like to hear what you guys use for oil, oil filters, air filter, brakes, and other regular maintenance options. Also wouldn't mind hearing about some of the mods you guys recommend, this will be more of a daily driver rather than a weekend autox car.

Thanks,

FocusST300ZX Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hatchback

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi, Welcome, and Cograts!
I recommend driving it for a while and see what you think could be improved, before you start throwing mod after mod...
I will recommend the best mod I've done is a short shifter with solid bushings.
For me the throws were too long, and the shifts had a spongy feel to them. Solid bushings on the shift base and trans cable bracket make shifts more mechanical; and the short shifter made the long throws not a problem.
I would suggest looking at the Boomba Ultimate shift kit.
good LUck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Swap out to a ceramic brake pad. OEM pads do this weird thing where they hardly wear, don't brake very well and cause a S**T ton of dust.

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Swap out to a ceramic brake pad. OEM pads do this weird thing where they hardly wear, don't brake very well and cause a S**T ton of dust.
I agree with the hardly wear aspect...since I have a half inch of brake pad with 30k miles on my car on factory pads lol, but unless the 2016 pads are THAT much different than the 2014....they brake really dang well for stock pads compared to 80% of other factory pads. Initial bite is great and if you aren't slowing from a REALLY high speed they take a decent amount to start fading. If yours are acting bad then maybe yours are glazed over and need hit with a piece of sand paper slightly. Had that happen to me.

That being said, I drive really spirited so I have to slow from higher speeds at times quickly and I am hard on my brakes at times, so I'll be getting Hawk HPS from Aristocrat Autosport since they offered me a crazy price.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hawks are good street pads.

I was on stoptech ceramics for the past two years, this year i'm switching to EBC Reds. Interesting to see how they do.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hawks are good street pads.

I was on stoptech ceramics for the past two years, this year i'm switching to EBC Reds. Interesting to see how they do.
There was a set of EBC Reds for sale in the Used Parts forum a little while ago, not sure if they are still there.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hard pass on used brake pads. I just keep my old ones as spares for track days. If I burn down a set of pads, I always have at least one back up set of like 2/3's worn stoptechs.

·
Registered
809 Posts
plugs and intercooler
Lol, ****

Care to elaborate on brands, types, and why?
Denso ITV22's if you're tuned. You advance timing significantly with a tune. The stock plugs just don't match up with the tune, and can cause early detonation. The colder plugs match the timing adjustments. If you go BT/power adder/meth, you'll want the next step colder from that. I don't know the # off hand on those.

Intercooler advice: Anything is better than stock. OEM's max out their flow at the top end from the factory, chocking off the motor. Depo makes a good product, along with levels. I have an FSWERKS because I got a deal on it, but you should try and match your intercooler to your future build plans as much as possible. If you're just looking to have some fun, the smaller Depo is sufficient, but if you're planning BT might as well bite the bullet and buy the BEAST.

Note that a tune is a basic necessity for these cars. You can throw parts on it left and right and they will help, but to fully unlock the potential and gains that you're looking for from those parts, you'll want a tune. Custom tunes can be had for a modest fee. Accessports seem to be the most widely used platform. Even bone stock (with plugs, of course) you'll feel a difference on the butt dyno from OEM to just Cobb's OTS tunes.

Feel free to join us on MN ST's on Facebook also. We are just a bunch of idiots with the same car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, ****

Denso ITV22's if you're tuned. You advance timing significantly with a tune. The stock plugs just don't match up with the tune, and can cause early detonation. The colder plugs match the timing adjustments. If you go BT/power adder/meth, you'll want the next step colder from that. I don't know the # off hand on those.

Intercooler advice: Anything is better than stock. OEM's max out their flow at the top end from the factory, chocking off the motor. Depo makes a good product, along with levels. I have an FSWERKS because I got a deal on it, but you should try and match your intercooler to your future build plans as much as possible. If you're just looking to have some fun, the smaller Depo is sufficient, but if you're planning BT might as well bite the bullet and buy the BEAST.

Note that a tune is a basic necessity for these cars. You can throw parts on it left and right and they will help, but to fully unlock the potential and gains that you're looking for from those parts, you'll want a tune. Custom tunes can be had for a modest fee. Accessports seem to be the most widely used platform. Even bone stock (with plugs, of course) you'll feel a difference on the butt dyno from OEM to just Cobb's OTS tunes.

Feel free to join us on MN ST's on Facebook also. We are just a bunch of idiots with the same car.
Awesome and I'll be sure to join you guys. I have noticed the ST feels like it runs out of legs toward the top end maybe (5,500 to 6,000rpm not sure), however I probably won't change or tune anything until I expire the warranties. As far as initial thoughts for what I'd do would probably be the Accessport tuner, plugs, aluminum intake manifold (not sure if they exist but the plastic one drive me nuts), intercooler (this is a maybe because is add quite a few points for classing at my local autocross), and exhaust.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Good layout. The intake manifold would't be very beneficial because the stock plastic one actually flows quite well with the stock turbo, but it sure would look pretty. And if the urge to bolt anything bigger on comes, you'd be ready up top for it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Awesome and I'll be sure to join you guys. I have noticed the ST feels like it runs out of legs toward the top end maybe (5,500 to 6,000rpm not sure), however I probably won't change or tune anything until I expire the warranties. As far as initial thoughts for what I'd do would probably be the Accessport tuner, plugs, aluminum intake manifold (not sure if they exist but the plastic one drive me nuts), intercooler (this is a maybe because is add quite a few points for classing at my local autocross), and exhaust.
Not much you can do about the power band up top. The stock turbo is the biggest power restriction and is a complete turd up top. I went through every power mod and the only thing that actually was worth it was replacing the turbo. At that point having a bigger exhaust and other parts actually mattered.

It's your car, do what you want. Intercooler I completely agree with but unless you want the extra sound I wouldn't waste money on "intake" or any exhaust components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not much you can do about the power band up top. The stock turbo is the biggest power restriction and is a complete turd up top. I went through every power mod and the only thing that actually was worth it was replacing the turbo. At that point having a bigger exhaust and other parts actually mattered.

It's your car, do what you want. Intercooler I completely agree with but unless you want the extra sound I wouldn't waste money on "intake" or any exhaust components.
Good to know, I could see doing the exhaust just to be able to hear the car a little better, but with complete exhaust costing $500-$700 dollars I'd probably get a turbo and tune first or look into coilover options.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.