Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of those unlucky people who got one of the first made Focus STs with the wiring harness issues that lead to some pretty bizarre intermittent harsh misfires under heavy load. Because of this my ST remained bone stock, I wasn't about to put any modifications on it until this issue was fixed. After 4.5 years passed and I was coming up towards the end of my warranty I pin pointed the issue to the bogus safety recall repair the dealership preformed. Long story short, the dealer agreed to fix it properly and the car ran better than it did brand new. Now that my car was running like it was suppose to for the first time in over 4 years I pulled the trigger on upgrading it like I had been wanting to do.

Because my previous toys were always V8s I was unsure if I really wanted an exhaust because of the ricer sound. Over the years I had been keeping up with all systems being released for the ST. I knew I wanted a 3" system all the way through. I also wanted it to be made in the USA and come with a warranty. I had narrowed it down to Injen or Cobb but Cobb was expensive and I wasn't a fan of the burnt titanium tips on the Injen. The same month I got my budget up enough to buy I see a video on a CJ Parts email that shows a new exhaust system for the ST and RS. It sounded good so I dig into the product and the company like I always do. In the past Ive gotten some pretty lousy products because I was focused on price only, I learned from those purchases that if its dirt cheap there's a very good reason and the quality will show. First thing I check out on a company page is the "about us" tab if they have one. I noticed that AWE is an American company that operates production here in the US. I see that it started out small and was a VW tuning and repair company that has grew into a tuning enginering company that includes products for McLaren, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, .....and Ford? I checked out all sound clips and pictures of their products to see what they were about. I liked what I saw and knew that this was the exhaust I was waiting on.

I chose to go their Track edition for the ST because I wanted a 3' system with less restriction as possible and didn't mind loud exhaust. My wheels are black chrome so of course I chose the diamond black 4" tips. It arrived perfectly packed. Their exhaust tips packaging set up was genius and in my opinion thoughtful. If you got one or will be getting one you might understand where I'm coming from. Install was easy, the only thing I had to get were two bolts and nuts to fasten the system to the factory down pipe. I also used small hose clamps to secure the hangers in place on the rubber hangers at the rear bumper to keep the tips centered. The sound with the factory down pipe was perfect, loud and not obnoxious on the highway. Had a nice deep tone for a 2.0.

About 3 months passed before I was ready for an after market down pipe. Again I went with a less restricted top quality made in the USA product. I installed the CP-E QKspl and was now FBO. The little ST was loud now. Of course I knew this and was expecting it to be loud but I guess I'm getting old now. Hwy driving had a drone which is common with our car and most systems for our car. I was starting to wish I had purchased either the non resonated Touring edition AWE offers or the resonated Touring edition. I went back to their site and noticed they now have conversion kits. The last section of the exhaust can be swapped out to be straight through (which is what I had) or to include their 180 degree technology sound wave cancellation muffler. I decide to try it out and order the touring conversion kit.

My new 180 degree tech piece came and was fairly simple to install. Getting the tips off the track piece was kind of a pain but a plastic wedge and rubber mallet did the trick. When I went to the website to refresh myself on the torque specs I notice they now have hanger clamps that come with the kits so you don't have to use hose clamps like I did. Kind of wish my new piece came with them. So now that I have the resonated Touring edition there isn't any drone on the hwy, its almost too quiet. Its still loud on the outside but in the cabin its barely noticeable even with an off road DP. Still love the sound either way. The Track has a deeper resonance and deeper tone at idle and lower RPM and is perfect for the factory DP, but if you have an off road DP hwy driving can get to you. The resonated Touring doesn't have the low resonance like the Track but almost sounds meaner WOT in the high range, it's amazingly quiet on the hwy.

Lastly I want to add that all my experiences with communicating with AWE has been great as well, Josh here is very responsive and informative as well as John. They have been great to work with and their fabrication/operation team does an awesome job as well. Overall I still think they have some of the best sounding best quality systems out there. I am happy with both of my purchases and in the future when I get another toy the first place I'm looking for an after market exhaust will be AWE.

I will try to get some eye/ear candy on here if technology will cooperate with me.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Awesome write up and I hope this really helps others looking for an exhaust system. Great photos to boot!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I keep toying with the idea of exhaust but I don't want anything louder than stock under normal acceleration. I don't care how loud it is under WOT. Is that how this is or no?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I keep toying with the idea of exhaust but I don't want anything louder than stock under normal acceleration. I don't care how loud it is under WOT. Is that how this is or no?

I just put the non-resonated touring edition on my car yesterday. I have an MBRP catless downpipe as well. IMO, it's obnoxious. It's really raspy like a Honda. I'll be looking to get rid of it shortly. WOT is really loud, and moderate acceleration, well, you can definitely hear it.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
FYI, I am by no means bashing their product. Very well built and looks great. Youtube videos don't really do this exhaust justice though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just put the non-resonated touring edition on my car yesterday. I have an MBRP catless downpipe as well. IMO, it's obnoxious. It's really raspy like a Honda. I'll be looking to get rid of it shortly. WOT is really loud, and moderate acceleration, well, you can definitely hear it.
I have no dog in this fight, but you put a catless DP with a straight through exhaust...it doesn't even have a muffler, only one "glasspack" style resonator. On a 4cyl. There was no possibility it wasn't going to be loud and raspy.
I have a 3" catless DP into a cutout...not surprisingly, it's very loud when open.

Perhaps you should do like OP and explore the conversion kit or adding a muffler or resonator yourself to your straight pipes.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I have no dog in this fight, but you put a catless DP with a straight through exhaust...it doesn't even have a muffler, only one "glasspack" style resonator. On a 4cyl. There was no possibility it wasn't going to be loud and raspy.
I have a 3" catless DP into a cutout...not surprisingly, it's very loud when open.

Perhaps you should do like OP and explore the conversion kit or adding a muffler or resonator yourself to your straight pipes.
I purchased the touring, not the track. I couldn't even imagine the track.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I would imagine that the resonated touring would be pretty quiet with the factory down pipe. Nothing is going to be as quiet as the OEM system. Again I didnt install the resonated touring until after the off road down pipe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its the muffler that adds the raspy sound you're describing. The Track edition was definitly loud but like I said in the write up it had a deeper tone. Even at WOT the high pitch sounds were not as high pitched. My guess is that the 180 tech muffler cancels out the lower sound frequencys to combat the drone that people complain about. The drone I got with the track and catless DP was definitely a low pitch drone. Now that I have the 180 piece on it doesnt have the low pitch resonance and has that higher raspy sound you're describing especially at WOT but I do have the resonator in the mid section so maybe thats why its not obnoxious to me. I'm actually impressed how quiet it is on the hwy with no cat.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I think its the muffler that adds the raspy sound you're describing. The Track edition was definitly loud but like I said in the write up it had a deeper tone. Even at WOT the high pitch sounds were not as high pitched. My guess is that the 180 tech muffler cancels out the lower sound frequencys to combat the drone that people complain about. The drone I got with the track and catless DP was definitely a low pitch drone. Now that I have the 180 piece on it doesnt have the low pitch resonance and has that higher raspy sound you're describing especially at WOT but I do have the resonator in the mid section so maybe thats why its not obnoxious to me. I'm actually impressed how quiet it is on the hwy with no cat.
Yeah, I can't complain AT ALL while cruising. Just getting on it even around 2500rpm gets that nasty raspy sound to it. I'd be tempted to get a resonator, but if I'm still not happy, I'd rather be able to sell it without modifying it. Until then, I'll just be that guy everyone despises around them

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah I can also say the track, at no point during the RPM range, sounds high pitched, tinny or any resemblance to a typical import with exhaust sound.

It's deep and rich. I have the Track with the stock downpipe. It is definitely loud but not unbearable. The tone is spot on. I also came from a V8 crowd and UNTIL I got my ST didn't appreciate many 4cyl exhaust notes out there. There's a pretty bold crossover in tone from mild cruising to when the boost comes on and RPMs climb. It's raspy in a good way. Hard to explain, just have to hear it!

The packaging and quality of the kit was so good I would have been ok with hanging it up as art. Ha.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Yeah I can also say the track, at no point during the RPM range, sounds high pitched, tinny or any resemblance to a typical import with exhaust sound.

It's deep and rich. I have the Track with the stock downpipe. It is definitely loud but not unbearable. The tone is spot on. I also came from a V8 crowd and UNTIL I got my ST didn't appreciate many 4cyl exhaust notes out there. There's a pretty bold crossover in tone from mild cruising to when the boost comes on and RPMs climb. It's raspy in a good way. Hard to explain, just have to hear it!

The packaging and quality of the kit was so good I would have been ok with hanging it up as art. Ha.
wait till you go catless lol

·
Registered
139 Posts

wait till you go catless lol
Yeah part of me knows how awesome it's going to be, part of me feels like I'm getting too old for this ****. Lol!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I installed the non-resonated Touring on my car with the stock downpipe. I have no plans on changing the downpipe out, but even stock it's loud when on the throttle and does get very raspy. I do sort of wish I'd have gotten the resonated version just to quiet it down some, but cruising it's quiet enough and no drone at all. overall i'm happy with my purchase but it is louder than i was expecting

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Yeah part of me knows how awesome it's going to be, part of me feels like I'm getting too old for this ****. Lol!
I will be ordering my R&D Thermal this weekend. GF approves of that one lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Agree with this. Also have the Track Edition installed but WITH a catless downpipe and that probably makes all the difference. This setup is very, very loud. Up to a point that I'm afraid that I'm gonna get pulled over by the cops. I like the sound at low revs, nice and deep and not raspy, but at high revs and WOT it's crazy loud. So, it's granny shifting and keeping my eyes peeled for now. Here in Holland the fine for a too loud exhaust is 370 euro's I found out...

Contacted AWE for a 'Track to Touring conversion kit' which would replace the rear section and would be the most ideal solution to my problem, but that would cost me 650 dollars. That's 50 dollars less than a complete Track exhaust... so won't be doing that. I'm planning on getting a muffler/damper installed somewhere in the system though. Any ideas what and where would be the best place to install this damper? Directly behind the resonator seems to be most space...

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes.. i used both of the rear and if I recall the mount before the rear subframe I did not re use.
Yeah, didn't fit the exhaust myself but looking at the exhaust I see three hooks. Guess the OEM one has four of them.

Still going catless? Let me tell ya, it's LOUD. I'm thinking of fitting this 10" damper in the small straight part before the subframe.
u457600r.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts