Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got back from the dealership.

Now I have hit a sort of mental roadblock I need your opinions on.

I went to the dealership with the intent to buy a 2016 Ford Focus ST with the ST3 package. I love the car, absolutely 100% positive I'm going to buy one.

Then I saw the Ford Fiesta ST, the exact color and "all the options" sitting close by with a sticker price $5,000 cheaper. So I sat in it, checked it out. And started to psyche myself out about the Focus ST being what I wanted.

THEN the dealer dropped a bombshell, unintentionally.

The 2017 production begins soon. The dealer didn't specifically mention there were going to be any changes (and there aren't for the most part), but as soon as I got home I went to the Ford website to see what if any changes may be in store for the 2017 production run of Focus ST's.

I noticed that Ford actually updated their website in the last couple of days with different options for the Focus ST, and they are now calling it the 2017 Focus ST. The immediate changes are that it will come with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard. I absolutely have a need for Apple Car Play, I just invested in a 800$ IPhone 7 Plus so it would be nice to have. The second change I saw on the Ford Website was that the Moonroof was now standard in the ST3 package. You no longer have to buy it separately. Also the price has not gone up from the 2016 models. Oddly though they don't list any dealer installed options on the website yet, maybe they are still finalizing them.

I know if I pull the trigger on the Focus ST now, I will regret it if I didn't wait a couple of months to get a 2017 production run in order to get Apple Car Play(without having to have it added in later at the dealer through a software and hardware update) and save a little money on the MoonRoof potentially. There also may be more subtle differences in order to fix some of the issues that the 2016 models have had.

on the other hand my hype level is at 1000% percent to get the car in my driveway and start driving it.

Does anyone know when the 2017 models are going to start being produced? The dealer said it would be in December but that was his self admitted guess and he wasn't sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm still looking for hidden changes on the Ford Website but maybe someone with a 2016 model can go and look. There is not anything on the web about the 2017 production runs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm betting if you ordered a 2017 model you wouldn't get it until early spring.

Another thing to consider is you'll likely have more bargaining power on the 2016 as it's an outgoing model year, so if they have some on the lot they're looking to get rid of, you should be able to score a better deal, potentially negating any "savings" you would incur on the 2017 with moon roof betting standard on ST2 and ST3 models.

Regarding Apple CarPlay, rumor has it the update should be available relatively soon for 2016 vehicles, and the hardware update may only require a new USB hub, which would probably be relatively inexpensive.

Long story short, I would say if you can get a good deal on the 2016 then go for it. If you can't or you're unable to find a 2016 spec'd the way you want, place an order for the 2017. As long as you're willing to wait to take delivery of the car.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Check the prices again:

2016 ST....$24,425 Base, Package 402A (ST3) = $4,995, Moonroof = $895. TOTAL = $30,315 +$875 freight -$1,000 incentive = $30,190 NET
2017 ST....$24,775 Base, Package 402A (ST3 with moonroof) = $5,680. TOTAL =$30,455 + $875 freight -$1,500 incentive = $29,830 NET

Price for 2017 is $360 cheaper, but you'll get more off the MSRP on a 2016 that is sitting on the lot so 2016 will be cheaper overall. It's up to you, do you want the car NOW or have to wait until next year for the added features.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
sticker on my 2016 Focus ST2 with moonroof, wheels, and dealer installed pinstripe(gay) was $29,900 I have the actual window sticker somewhere if you want proof.

I got $1000 off MRSP + 0% APR for 72 months, Dealership gave another $3,000 off MSRP, AND I had a Ford $750 cash rebate. Dealer fees were around $500 (sigh rip off)

You won't get the $1000 off + 0% on a 2017, and I doubt a dealer will knock anything off the them selves either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
UPDATE: I just saw that the 2017 Ford Focus ST was already being built and there are quite a few already on dealer order in my area.

The 2017 version started being produced November 1st!

Just a few days ago Ford Website didn't even mention anything about a 2017 version, never mind them already being built for dealers. If I don't get a screaming deal on a 2016 I'm jumping up to the 2017 (even though they are basically the same car). We'll see what the price difference is going to be.

HYPE IS NOW INCREASED ANOTHER 1000%!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah, I've been watching 2017s for a while. Cars.com is showing 77 listed 2017s nationwide so far. More get added every day.

Like you said- nothing huge has changed. Tangerine Scream is gone in favor of Triple Yellow. Sunroof is now standard with the ST2 and ST3 package (and unavailable as a stand alone option on ST1s). And like you mentioned- the car play and android auto stuff is on 2017s.

If you want the 2017 and can wait (or if one pops up optioned the way you want it on a lot nearby), I'd go for that. There's a reason why end of model year cars get heavily discounted.... they're technically a year old at this point.

edit: I looked at the recently updated ST page at Ford's website.... looks like the ST2 and ST3 package each got bumped up $680 to include the now mandatory sunroof.

Yuck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you want the 17, I would special order it to your spec unless someone's getting one exactly like you want on the lot. I did that when the current Focus first came out in 2011 and it took 10 weeks (wanted a SE manual hatch with sunroof, rear disc brakes, and 17" wheels—which nobody carried—in anonymous low maintenance silver for all the miles I drive). You'd maybe wait that long or close to it for a 2017 that you like, anyway. Plus, it felt kind of cool to special order a car. You won't get as good of a deal because it's not inventory the dealer is looking to clear, but I thought I'd mention it as an option in case you didn't think of it. I don't know how true it is, but if you do special order, go to the largest dealer around as (I'm told) they have more pull with the factory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dealership visits make me feel dirty every time I leave.

Visited a dealer in Massachusetts. Had an ST3 on the lot that they just got in the week before. Asked for a quote, he quoted me 5K above sticker (after rebates it came to exactly sticker)...

Told him politely to shove it, and I told him 28K OTD which I thought was VERY FAIR. He comes back with 29K everything included (supposedly). So I am kind of reluctantly agreeing since its the color and options I want. Then he keeps changing his story about if it included tax or not even though he mentioned it several times. He tried to backtrack on the registration fee being included, etc.

The last 20 minutes of the visit was him trying to get me to commit to a deposit.

I walked and told him I would come back the next day. I'm not going back unless they call me and offer a sweet deal.

I am most likely going to order a 2017 version from my local dealer.

**** Ford Dealerships. Wish they would end private dealers and control everything from corporate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So up here in Canada we don't have the 1,2,3. We just have the Focus ST. Here is a window sticker as an example. Would you guys say it's a 3? I hope so I just got mine 3 days ago. One of the last 2016's.

Price in CAD!!!

wss.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
just got back from the dealership.

Now I have hit a sort of mental roadblock I need your opinions on.

I went to the dealership with the intent to buy a 2016 Ford Focus ST with the ST3 package. I love the car, absolutely 100% positive I'm going to buy one.

Then I saw the Ford Fiesta ST, the exact color and "all the options" sitting close by with a sticker price $5,000 cheaper. So I sat in it, checked it out. And started to psyche myself out about the Focus ST being what I wanted.

THEN the dealer dropped a bombshell, unintentionally.

The 2017 production begins soon. The dealer didn't specifically mention there were going to be any changes (and there aren't for the most part), but as soon as I got home I went to the Ford website to see what if any changes may be in store for the 2017 production run of Focus ST's.

I noticed that Ford actually updated their website in the last couple of days with different options for the Focus ST, and they are now calling it the 2017 Focus ST. The immediate changes are that it will come with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard. I absolutely have a need for Apple Car Play, I just invested in a 800$ IPhone 7 Plus so it would be nice to have. The second change I saw on the Ford Website was that the Moonroof was now standard in the ST3 package. You no longer have to buy it separately. Also the price has not gone up from the 2016 models. Oddly though they don't list any dealer installed options on the website yet, maybe they are still finalizing them.

I know if I pull the trigger on the Focus ST now, I will regret it if I didn't wait a couple of months to get a 2017 production run in order to get Apple Car Play(without having to have it added in later at the dealer through a software and hardware update) and save a little money on the MoonRoof potentially. There also may be more subtle differences in order to fix some of the issues that the 2016 models have had.

on the other hand my hype level is at 1000% percent to get the car in my driveway and start driving it.

Does anyone know when the 2017 models are going to start being produced? The dealer said it would be in December but that was his self admitted guess and he wasn't sure.
it depends how much you need apple car play. is it worth the price difference the 2016's are going to have when the 17's are out?

·
Registered
117 Posts
it depends how much you need apple car play. is it worth the price difference the 2016's are going to have when the 17's are out?
Is apple car play not a part of Sync3? I thought it was but could be wrong, not features I'm into plus I have Android.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Is apple car play not a part of Sync3? I thought it was but could be wrong, not features I'm into plus I have Android.
The SYNC platform in 2016 vehicles currently does not support Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Reports suggest a software update will provide capability for Android Auto, while both a software and hardware update (in the form of a new USB module) are required for Apple CarPlay support. "Should" be coming by year end.

This will come stock in 2017 model year, however.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts