Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the ST on 06FEB2017.
Bought off the lot, new for under $20k, dealer had crazy discounts, base package, with racing stripes & 'upgrade' wheels w/ red calipers, dealer installed tint. Just decided to start this build thread to document - for me, for fun, for others.
I have done this so far:

1. JBR Positive Crankcase Valve (PCV) Oil Catch Can (OCC)
2. RallyArmor Mudflaps (and already had a reversing mishap (into and over a curb) that took 4 hours to franken-rebuild the plastic mount on the rear passenger-side :doh: )
3. MetalCast red painted the 3rd brake light with clear coat finish
4. Flowmaster Super10 [w/ (@angrychair inspired naming) Hoover exhaust tip] custom install in place of OEM muffler

Pics in posts to follow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The axle-back exhaust Flowmaster Super10 with temporary 'stinger' tip:
IMG_20170307_150453.jpg

Just the tip:

tip.JPG

The finished exhaust with the Hoover tip (also in pic: R.A. Mudflaps, badge delete, and 3rd BrakeLight paint job:
inVille_hoover.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Mudflap debacle

I've had mudflaps on 6 cars prior to the ST and I have never inflicted so much damage to the car from them. :disappointed:

The RallyArmors are top quality, don't get me wrong. However, due to the Focus' mounting tabs a mishap can wreak havoc. Literally the day after my installation I backed into an island's curbing while parking (I was trying to hug the curb and was still getting used to the ST's additional width compared to my old whip - a 2014 Mirage). Well, the flap bumped/hit the curb before the wheel road up it and every mounting point (the plastic tabs on the inside of the bumper cover) sheared off. It was ugly...)

I had to drill a hole in the unibody(steel) wheel well to mount a new metal tab to attach the top MF mount (no pic of this). This worked out rather well and is now a very robust mounting point. After drilling the hole I coated it in touch-up paint to eliminate potential rust starting. On the bottom mount I had to franken-build the tab back into place with Gorilla glue and safety-wire. It ain't pretty but it's highly funtional and holding up fine with several hundred miles under its belt.

RA MF repair.jpg
RA MF repair 1.jpg
what's visible from the exterior, underside.
RA MF repair 2.jpg

Moral of the story: BE CAREFUL when backing up if you have RallyArmor MudFlaps installed

Reactions: DDT1972

·
Registered
524 Posts
Crazy story about the mud flaps. Decent looking repair though. A lot of times I back into a spot by Braille, then pull forward an inch to keep the flap from staying bent while I'm parked. Has worked pretty well so far.

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
I've had mudflaps on 6 cars prior to the ST and I have never inflicted so much damage to the car from them. :disappointed:

The RallyArmors are top quality, don't get me wrong. However, due to the Focus' mounting tabs a mishap can wreak havoc. Literally the day after my installation I backed into an island's curbing while parking (I was trying to hug the curb and was still getting used to the ST's additional width compared to my old whip - a 2014 Mirage). Well, the flap bumped/hit the curb before the wheel road up it and every mounting point (the plastic tabs on the inside of the bumper cover) sheared off. It was ugly...)

I had to drill a hole in the unibody(steel) wheel well to mount a new metal tab to attach the top MF mount (no pic of this). This worked out rather well and is now a very robust mounting point. After drilling the hole I coated it in touch-up paint to eliminate potential rust starting. On the bottom mount I had to franken-build the tab back into place with Gorilla glue and safety-wire. It ain't pretty but it's highly funtional and holding up fine with several hundred miles under its belt.

View attachment 216969
View attachment 216945
what's visible from the exterior, underside.
View attachment 216953

Moral of the story: BE CAREFUL when backing up if you have RallyArmor MudFlaps installed

Lol, yeah, my passenger rear is all stitched together right now as well. I should roll under there and get some glue involved. In time perhaps.

Reactions: Mykl

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steeda Jacking Rails Ordered

Just ordered some 'jacking rails,' these will be oh-so-handy!

Will be OTW soon, I hope ?
(@[email protected])

steeda rails.JPG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jacking Rails

Got the STEEDA jacking rails delivered today.

WTG: STEEDA on the super quick turn around. Eager to get these installed soon, but...

WTF: No torque values. Waiting on STEEDA to provide some torque specs for the bolts.

HUH: These are nice pieces, calling them "ultra-lite" is a joke though, maybe in comparison to lead ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tried to order these from Steeda with Cobb exhaust hangers in the same order, wasn't notified till I got the exhaust hangers that the jacking rails are on back order and no Eta for delivery... Was not a happy camper

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts