Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So this is just my build plan, I currently have a 2017 Focus ST Kona Blue and I absolutely love this car in its stock form but I've always been the type to modify my cars and after spending weeks on this forum reading up on different builds and trying to decide what works for me the best this is my plan so far, feel free to chime in of course.

So I plan on my first couple of mods to be a RMM and short shifter, then possibly a Depo baby beast or FSwerks FMIC. I really can't decide between the two so if anyone has them let me know what you think ! Next of course a Cobb AP but I'm torn between Stratified and Freektune, I've emailed both vendors and they seem great and answered all my questions. Now my biggest decision is should I go WMI or E30, I know the pros and cons of both but just can't make up my mind lol I've very indesivie when it comes to my builds because a part of me wants a street beast and the other wants a fun little hatch with a little power when I need it, anyways that's all I have for now and I would like to hear everyones opinion !

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just go your own route man :) do what you feel like you will enjoy!! The main thing is to enjoy everything you do to it.
I'm personally taking my sweet time with everything lol. I've owned the car since May/2016 and have only done Rally armor mudflaps, boomba weighted shift knob, boomba trans bushings, and a JBR power path intake tube, debadged the back and dipped the ST badges, and did some vinyl wrap on the fogs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey everyone! So this is just my build plan, I currently have a 2017 Focus ST Kona Blue and I absolutely love this car in its stock form but I've always been the type to modify my cars and after spending weeks on this forum reading up on different builds and trying to decide what works for me the best this is my plan so far, feel free to chime in of course.

So I plan on my first couple of mods to be a RMM and short shifter, then possibly a Depo baby beast or Fwerks FMIC. I really can't decide between the two so if anyone has them let me know what you think ! Next of course a Cobb AP but I'm torn between Stratified and Freektune, I've emailed both vendors and they seem great and answered all my questions. Now my biggest decision is should I go WMI or E30, I know the pros and cons of both but just can't make up my mind lol I've very indesivie when it comes to my builds because a part of me wants a street beast and the other wants a fun little hatch with a little power when I need it, anyways that's all I have for now and I would like to hear everyones opinion !
I have used Depo 3.5 since the first batch was made. I am currently running a GTX2971 and soon to be adding Speed Performance Aux fuel kit to reach my 400/400 goal. The intercooler has performed as expected and should be able to supply me with the cooling I need to safely reach my goal. I used it on my stage 3 e30 setup with no issues as well. Car currently has 50k miles on it with this intercooler.

I used Stratified's flash tunes for my tuning on stock turbo as was happy with the numbers. Stratified tends to be safer due to the fact they are making a tune to be used on all cars rather than your specific vehicle but I honestly feel the extra money for a more expensive option can be better spent elsewhere.

However you could look into tuners like Purple Drank (who I use on my big turbo setup) that provide Lifetime tuning. This is a one time fee and regardless of how your vehicle changes or fuel you use down the road, except aux fueling and meth, they will retune the car for free. This is a larger upfront payment but may be worth it depending on your goals. For example, I purchased Stratifieds flash tune for 93 octane ($50) and e30 ($75) as well as 3 updates for my e30 tune (3x$25) for a total cost of $200. Lifetime tunes from tuners like purple drank are $275. So if I continued to update my tunes with Stratified, I would of actually spend more money than the upfront payments of some tuners. Also some tuners limit how many revisions you get before you are required to purchase an upgrade tune.

This is important to keep in mind when you are doing your build. How far do you plan on going? If I got a lifetime tune from the beginning I would of saved myself $200 and also not have to switch tuners when I went BT. I will always recommend Stratified as the best one time cost bang for your buck. They provide excellent power and an excellent price. But they constantly innovate their tunes which creates a desire to upgrade which may cost more money in the end.

When it comes to fueling I used e30. I don't like tuning for a fuel that can go empty during use without me knowing. There are ways around this but didn't seem worth the hassle compared to looking at my gas tank gauge and knowing I need more fuel. The math is easy to that didn't bother me either. I use WMI only for cooling and the cleaning it provides. For actual tuning purposes I prefer e30, but other factors come into play. How close in the nearest e85 station? I literally fill up daily if I am running e30 as I drive a lot. Your MPG significantly decreases if you drive the car hard. You are also putting more strain on your stock fuel pump where methanol runs off its own pump. Each one of these factors needs to be considered and no one can make that decision for you.

I do agree with your approach to upgrade the mounts and to make the car more enjoyable to drive without power. Some things, like the mounts and tires, should be upgraded to make sure the car can safely apply the power. As for the shifter, this is the number one thing, besides the steering wheel, you touch in the car every day. Make sure you enjoy this setup. My build path was very similar, my first mods were a RMM and a cobb shift plate. I also later upgraded the trans, cable and shifter base bushings which created a great shifting experience. Then I went crazy with power.

My only recommendation is to get an intercooler before a tune. Where I live, the Stage 1 tunes are just as fast as the stock tune and a local individual with a stock tuned car with just an intercooler is faster than all of the stage 1 tuned cars. Heat soak just robs too much power from these cars and I feel trying to add more power to a car already producing too much heat, isn't a good idea.

Hope this helps and I am jealous of your color. If it was available when I got mine, I would have hunted one down! Good luck on your build and let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used Depo 3.5 since the first batch was made. I am currently running a GTX2971 and soon to be adding Speed Performance Aux fuel kit to reach my 400/400 goal. The intercooler has performed as expected and should be able to supply me with the cooling I need to safely reach my goal. I used it on my stage 3 e30 setup with no issues as well. Car currently has 50k miles on it with this intercooler.

I used Stratified's flash tunes for my tuning on stock turbo as was happy with the numbers. Stratified tends to be safer due to the fact they are making a tune to be used on all cars rather than your specific vehicle but I honestly feel the extra money for a more expensive option can be better spent elsewhere.

However you could look into tuners like Purple Drank (who I use on my big turbo setup) that provide Lifetime tuning. This is a one time fee and regardless of how your vehicle changes or fuel you use down the road, except aux fueling and meth, they will retune the car for free. This is a larger upfront payment but may be worth it depending on your goals. For example, I purchased Stratifieds flash tune for 93 octane ($50) and e30 ($75) as well as 3 updates for my e30 tune (3x$25) for a total cost of $200. Lifetime tunes from tuners like purple drank are $275. So if I continued to update my tunes with Stratified, I would of actually spend more money than the upfront payments of some tuners. Also some tuners limit how many revisions you get before you are required to purchase an upgrade tune.

This is important to keep in mind when you are doing your build. How far do you plan on going? If I got a lifetime tune from the beginning I would of saved myself $200 and also not have to switch tuners when I went BT. I will always recommend Stratified as the best one time cost bang for your buck. They provide excellent power and an excellent price. But they constantly innovate their tunes which creates a desire to upgrade which may cost more money in the end.

When it comes to fueling I used e30. I don't like tuning for a fuel that can go empty during use without me knowing. There are ways around this but didn't seem worth the hassle compared to looking at my gas tank gauge and knowing I need more fuel. The math is easy to that didn't bother me either. I use WMI only for cooling and the cleaning it provides. For actual tuning purposes I prefer e30, but other factors come into play. How close in the nearest e85 station? I literally fill up daily if I am running e30 as I drive a lot. Your MPG significantly decreases if you drive the car hard. You are also putting more strain on your stock fuel pump where methanol runs off its own pump. Each one of these factors needs to be considered and no one can make that decision for you.

I do agree with your approach to upgrade the mounts and to make the car more enjoyable to drive without power. Some things, like the mounts and tires, should be upgraded to make sure the car can safely apply the power. As for the shifter, this is the number one thing, besides the steering wheel, you touch in the car every day. Make sure you enjoy this setup. My build path was very similar, my first mods were a RMM and a cobb shift plate. I also later upgraded the trans, cable and shifter base bushings which created a great shifting experience. Then I went crazy with power.

My only recommendation is to get an intercooler before a tune. Where I live, the Stage 1 tunes are just as fast as the stock tune and a local individual with a stock tuned car with just an intercooler is faster than all of the stage 1 tuned cars. Heat soak just robs too much power from these cars and I feel trying to add more power to a car already producing too much heat, isn't a good idea.

Hope this helps and I am jealous of your color. If it was available when I got mine, I would have hunted one down! Good luck on your build and let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks for all the info dude ! My goal for now is just to put down 275-280WHP and 350TQ, so I've been searching and get really mixed reviews on here, is it worth it to upgrade the downpipe and maintain the stock turbo. From my experience a FMIC and DP is usually what you want to upgrade first on force induction cars, as well as tuning of course, but a majority of what I read says its pointless unless I'm going for a big turbo. Any input on that ?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It's poor advice like this that forces people to spend more money than they need too without understanding what the car does in certain conditions.

This is a monkey see, monkey do situation.

Forget the inter-cooler. Water Injection, Tune, Coolant Mod, Wastage Mod, Downpipe and be done with it. That's easily 280-290 hp/370-380 of torque.

Water Injection, water cools better than air, much better. You can run the same timing you would on a E tune and will allow you to hold more boost via wastage mod or Turbo Smart WG.

You can get these benefits from pure water, you don't even have to use 50/50. Using the stock washer tank, I barely use 1/2 a gallon but I don't drive aggressively anymore around town.

It will also allow way more boost on a upgraded turbo than you would get on pump gas and you don't have to bother with extra injectors until you actually need them and nobody needs them at the 400-450 hp level.

You can also pair water injection with nitrous oxide and make ridiculous amounts of power for the overall investment and not have to resort to E mixing or race gas to make power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's poor advice like this that forces people to spend more money than they need too without understanding what the car does in certain conditions.

Forget the inter-cooler. Water Injection, Tune, Coolant Mod, Wastage Mod, Downpipe and be done with it. That's easily 280-290 hp/370-380 of torque.

Water Injection, water cools better than air, much better. You can run the same timing you would on a E tune and will allow you to hold more boost via wastage mod or Turbo Smart WG.

You can get these benefits from pure water, you don't even have to use 50/50. Using the stock washer tank, I barely use 1/2 a gallon but I don't drive aggressively anymore around town.

It will also allow way more boost on a upgraded turbo than you would get on pump gas and you don't have to bother with extra injectors until you actually need them and nobody needs them at the 400-450 hp level.

You can also pair water injection with nitrous oxide and make ridiculous amounts of power for the overall investment and not have to resort to E mixing or race gas to make power.
I don't see what poor advice you're talking about ? He provided me with a lot of useful information for a safe build and you're over here telling me to mix NOS and pure water LOL I'm not new to the modding world I've tuned plenty of imports I'm just new to the ST world and want to get a feel for it and hear other people's opinion. But thanks for your input but those are number I'm not trying to achieve.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts

lol.

I don't see what poor advice you're talking about ? He provided me with a lot of useful information for a safe build and you're over here telling me to mix NOS and pure water LOL I'm not new to the modding world I've tuned plenty of imports I'm just new to the ST world and want to get a feel for it and hear other people's opinion. But thanks for your input but those are number I'm not trying to achieve.
Just do what you planned on before my man, the intercooler DEFINITELY should be upgraded for consistency and safety...there's a reason it's recommended by everyone (including tuners). If you aren't looking to get into WMI I guess consider it, but it's not practical for what you want. What you want/plan to do above will get you the numbers you want. Don't listen to people giving you irrational advice like that lol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for all the info dude ! My goal for now is just to put down 275-280WHP and 350TQ, so I've been searching and get really mixed reviews on here, is it worth it to upgrade the downpipe and maintain the stock turbo. From my experience a FMIC and DP is usually what you want to upgrade first on force induction cars, as well as tuning of course, but a majority of what I read says its pointless unless I'm going for a big turbo. Any input on that ?
I ran just stage 2 e30 tune for stratified for about 4 months before going stage 3 and I was able to reach or get pretty close to those numbers. The downpipe helps but it wasn't as night and day difference as the intercooler. In Texas they don't care about emissions so you also have to take your local laws into account. I knew I was going to go BT so I wanted to get all those parts out of the way first.

·
Registered
593 Posts

So I plan on my first couple of mods to be a RMM and short shifter, then possibly a Depo baby beast or FSwerks FMIC. I really can't decide between the two so if anyone has them let me know what you think ! Next of course a Cobb AP but I'm torn between Stratified and Freektune, I've emailed both vendors and they seem great and answered all my questions. Now my biggest decision is should I go WMI or E30, I know the pros and cons of both but just can't make up my mind lol I've very indesivie when it comes to my builds because a part of me wants a street beast and the other wants a fun little hatch with a little power when I need it, anyways that's all I have for now and I would like to hear everyones opinion !
I'm looking forward to follow your build as I have a Kona Blue ST as well!

I started with the CAI of course. My intercooler, RMM, BOV, Intake Snorkel, and COBB short shift just came in this week (Thanks to the govt for my tax return!) but anyways, I ordered my stratified tune for basically stage 2 and I'm getting a 93 tune as well as an E30 tune. Hopefully with this nice weather this weekend I'll be running Stage 2 and I'd be glad to let you know how I like it, although I can't compare to other tunes. My plan is to do as much as possible without BT because I'm in love with this car and it is my daily!

Are you planning on doing any visual mods? I'm always curious to see different color combos with the Kona Blue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm looking forward to follow your build as I have a Kona Blue ST as well!

I started with the CAI of course. My intercooler, RMM, BOV, Intake Snorkel, and COBB short shift just came in this week (Thanks to the govt for my tax return!) but anyways, I ordered my stratified tune for basically stage 2 and I'm getting a 93 tune as well as an E30 tune. Hopefully with this nice weather this weekend I'll be running Stage 2 and I'd be glad to let you know how I like it, although I can't compare to other tunes. My plan is to do as much as possible without BT because I'm in love with this car and it is my daily!

Are you planning on doing any visual mods? I'm always curious to see different color combos with the Kona Blue.
Awesome and your build is very similar to mine, what kind of FMIC did you order ? I'm on the fence on the Levels, Fswerks and Depo 3.5. Unfortunately I won't be able to get a tune till approximately April because that's when Cobb said they will release support for 2017 models but let me know how you like the tunes, especially the E30 because they just started selling E85 at the gas station down the street so I'm pretty hyped about that. Appearance wise I've always kept to a simple clean look, so I want springs to lower/level out the car and of course for the handling, tinted windows, and Rota Grids somewhere down the line. I've been contemplating cutting out the lower grille to expose whatever FMIC I get but I'm nervous to cut into a new car even if it's minimal lol

·
Registered
593 Posts
Awesome and your build is very similar to mine, what kind of FMIC did you order ? I'm on the fence on the Levels, Fswerks and Depo 3.5. Unfortunately I won't be able to get a tune till approximately April because that's when Cobb said they will release support for 2017 models but let me know how you like the tunes, especially the E30 because they just started selling E85 at the gas station down the street so I'm pretty hyped about that. Appearance wise I've always kept to a simple clean look, so I want springs to lower/level out the car and of course for the handling, tinted windows, and Rota Grids somewhere down the line. I've been contemplating cutting out the lower grille to expose whatever FMIC I get but I'm nervous to cut into a new car even if it's minimal lol
I ordered the CPE lightweight which is basically the Depo 3.5...I got a really good deal on it so why not. I'm putting it in tomorrow. I'd wait to see what the FMIC looks like after you remove the grill shutters lol...I'd be hesitant to cut into a new car too. I found a deal on a downpipe so I'll probably buy that this weekend as I have no self control anymore lol. Once I get my catback I'll be focused on visuals. Definitely lowering springs, do you know what direction you're going with them yet (brand, height reduction)? I'm about to buy some overlays to tint my fogs and taillights and I'm thinking the velossatech aggression package (Wing risers, custom emblems, rear diffuser fins). Nothing major, just some little stuff to make my car stand out a little more.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Do not listen to this guy, the intercooler is the weekest part of our cars and if you only did one mod the intercooler should be it. Build your car like this

Apv3>RMM>Intake/filter>FMIC>Down pipe & Catback exhaust> WMI if desired. use cobbs OTS maps along the way and once "stage 3" get your custom tune from selected tuner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been MIA for quite some time, got busy with.... life lol but thought Id come back and give everyone a update on my build, remained pretty much stock other than a flash tune from Stratified but had some extra $$$ so I dropped it all on my build. Below is the list of mods I currently have taking up space in my garage but not installed in the car (currently overseas).

GTX2860R Gen 2
Depo FMIC 3.5
Depo Downpipe
JBR Charge pipe w/ Tial Q
JST Traction Bar
Cobb RMM
TSW Bathurst 18x8
... and a bunch of other little items spark plugs etc etc

The turbo install and tuning will be done by Brian @ JST Performance here in the next couple of weeks, luckily they are fairly local to me ! Currently waiting to buy 4 port Aux fuel(E30 coming soon !), Mfactory LSD and a better clutch set up

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Do not listen to this guy, the intercooler is the weekest part of our cars and if you only did one mod the intercooler should be it. Build your car like this

Apv3>RMM>Intake/filter>FMIC>Down pipe & Catback exhaust> WMI if desired. use cobbs OTS maps along the way and once "stage 3" get your custom tune from selected tuner.
He speaks from more of a drag racing perspective, high hp short burst for 1/8 or 1/4 mile, for tracking/auto-x where sustained cooling is required (especially if only running premium fuel) the car definitely needs a better fmic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got this Accelerator spacer from CJ pony parts and it made a huge difference - especially since I run a lot of track days, I hated that it was so difficult to heel-toe but since the spacer it couldn't be easier to heel toe and rev match. It's better for the transmission and makes it a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Just something you could also look into.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: So got the turbo kit installed by Brian @JST Performance as well as a custom tune and I couldn’t be any happier with the results. He said the tune was more on the conservative side and was putting 350-360 Whp and I forgot the TQ but I think it was about the same. With Aux fuel on 93 I should be able to get around 375whp which I am more than happy with. Here’s a pic of my ST as well before and after.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts