Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered this during the group buy along with another local member. I had not put mine in yet, but he had installed his. He came over today and I jumped in his car and tried it to see how it felt. Needless to say, 10 minutes later, we started on my install... :)

I got the quick-shift arm as it resembled the mountune piece with some additional enhancements. The price was also very attractive give the 20% off with the group buy.

Shipping:
- When I ordered it, I got an email that there was a delay for a week. No biggie, glad I got the communication instead of silence.
- It shipped exactly as Breedt promised via Fedex. Tracking # was provided.

Packaging:

- The box also included a return label, invoice and such.
- The arm was wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap.
- The punch pin was taped on and clearly visible.
- Blue loctite was also included.

I will say instructions were not included. It was also not on the website. But having a member who had just installed it made it easy to figure out.
Install:

It is fairly simple and straight foward. I will outline how we did it. Breedt instructions may differ

- Unplug MAF sensor
- Remove airbox lid and scoop attachment
- Loosen air filter and remove it
- Loosen hose clamp holding airbox to intake pipe
- Pull airbox out carefully, it can be stubborn, but do not break the mounting tabs.

At this point, you will see the factory arm you will be removing....

- First, remove the shifter cable. I inserted a flathead under it and slowly pryed on both sides evenly till it popped off.
- Then insert the provided punch pin in the hole in the middle of the arm (about 6 o clock position) and whack it with a hammer. Be careful not to hurt the surrounding parts when swinging the hammer. It will be stubborn. This took the longest to do.
- We weren't sure if the pin would fly out, so we kept hammering and trying to lift the arm up to see if it was free. When free, take it out of the car.

Here is a comparison of the Breedt arm vs the stock one....

The stock arm is heavier, but the breedt arm is heavier than you would expect it to be. Quality is top-notch.

- We decided to set the shifter cable pin in P3 which is 40% reduction and keeps the stock shifter location. Tighten it down well. We used a 10mm ratcheting wrench.

- Place the arm and slide the bolt thru. Apply some loctite on the threads and tighten one nut on. We then applied some more loctite and installed the 2nd nut. We used 10 mm ratcheting wrenches for this as well.

You are done installing the arm! Should look something like below...

- Install the airbox and inspect to ensure its all back the way it was.

Driving impressions:

- The throw is much shorter than stock. I don't feel like I am rowing a boat anymore.
- There is some increased effort, but not bad at all. I will try a heavy shift knob to see if this helps with the effort.
- There is increased notchiness but its feels precise and it sort of clicks into each gear.

Overall, the shifter just feels more precise. No regrets installing this part. I definitely recommend it. I will report back to provide further updates after I live with this modification more...

If you have any questions, please ask and I will help answer them. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Mine had directions too. Also once I tried a couple of settings, I applied Loctite to the ball stud and tightened it into my preferred position. It's kind of a habit with me, I work with large diesels and usually if it isn't Loctited, it's just a matter of when, not if it comes loose. Overall, it's a very easy install and very satisfying mod.

·
Banned
246 Posts
Great write-up for a great product! Truly a beautiful piece--it's a shame to hide it under the airbox. I got mine installed last night--it took longer to get the airbox out than to do the actual install.
I do have a couple of additional tips. Put the car in 6th--you'll have more room. I used a hardened 6mm bolt to get the pin started, then switched over to the supplied punch pin. I held the bolt/pin with a pair of Vise grips, and tapped it with a 3lb sledge. Once the OE pin was partly out, I stuck a magnetic pickup tool to it to keep it from falling who-knows-where. I had plenty of room to work, and the OE pin came out very easily.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
P2 is how the car should be! (at least for me) I am 6' 2" with a 36 inch sleeve. With P2 -39% and moved forward 25mm R, 1st, 3rd, and 5th are no closer to the console stack and 6th is not in the passenger seat. I can shift with my arm on the center console with a flick of my wrist and not got caught on my Bigbucks travel coffee cup. Tried P1 and P2 before loctiting the stud; never even tried P3 and P4.

·
Registered
601 Posts
P2 is how the car should be! (at least for me) I am 6' 2" with a 36 inch sleeve. With P2 -39% and moved forward 25mm R, 1st, 3rd, and 5th are no closer to the console stack and 6th is not in the passenger seat. I can shift with my arm on the center console with a flick of my wrist and not got caught on my Bigbucks travel coffee cup. Tried P1 and P2 before loctiting the stud; never even tried P3 and P4.
I am also tall, so P2 is where its at... I'll have to try that, I was going with P4...

Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just finished installing mine and went for a spirited drive. #2 position is definitely the way it should have been from the factory.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
@Estudley and I went down to the Breedt plant today and picked up 3 shift arms. One for each of us and another for a local member of our Facebook page. We will be installing on Saturday! I'm glad to read that review and see the satisfaction with the part.

·
Registered
418 Posts
@Estudley and I went down to the Breedt plant today and picked up 3 shift arms. One for each of us and another for a local member of our Facebook page. We will be installing on Saturday! I'm glad to read that review and see the satisfaction with the part.
How did the installs go ST_3?

Post some photos in our http://www.focusst.org/forum/breedt-product-design/26140-let-s-see-those-breedt-parts-installed-your-st.html thread when you get a chance.

Thanks for the support!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts