Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2017 ST, wrecked on Tail of the Dragon :-( (page 3)

Wrecked! :-( (page 3)

Recently took delivery of my new ST with the ST3/402a trim level, absolutely loving it so far, but the need to modify the car is already calling to me. It's not important that I need to keep this daily-driver comfortable as I work from home and also have an F150 to drive around in, so I can go as far as I want to with this car down the road.

In researching the car, it was obvious that I was going to be replacing the rear engine mount at some point, that point was last night. I know the Cobb solution is the most popular from what I've seen, but I went with the CP-e "Stage 2" mount that promised less engine movement. The install wasn't too hard but I did have to sacrifice a 10mm allen key with a cut off wheel to shorten it for tightening the included rear lower bolt replacement. I've only driven it a little bit this morning to test it out, seems to be less torque steer with minimal extra vibration added.

I also have already bought and installed a Turbosmart Blow-Off Valve (model TS-0203-1061), it dropped right into place and makes lots-of/too-much noise, hopefully something I can turn down some by adjusting the valve (you can twist it for "softer" or "harder")

Added polyfill to the stock Sony subwoofer box, that did make a difference, but it's still not good enough. At some point I'll be looking to go all aftermarket after the head unit (Maestro AR + Kenwood XR600-6DSP amp + JL Audio Stealthbox). These upgrades will probably come sooner than later.

Other things already on order and I'll be installing them as I get them:
- Green Filter air filter replacement
- Steeda jack rails
- Rearview mirror with Homelink built in (why garage door controls don't come in this car is beyond me)
- Boosted Designs transmission bracket bushings and Needless Torque shift cable bushing (not a fan of how loose/sloppy the shifter is)

Within 6 months:
- Accessport
- Upgraded intercooler

And from there see how far the rabbit hole goes!

I'm pretty sure the TORQUE & TECH guys are here on the forum, if you see this: thanks so much for your great videos!

car_parking.jpg

cpe_mount2.jpg

blow_off1.jpg

blow_off2.jpg

cpe_mount1.jpg

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Welcome! Looks like you got a good start on things. Maybe try a boomba short shifter or a shorter shift arm for a shorter shift after all of that to tighten the whole thing up! I don't know if you have messed with your suspension on your truck, but the ST is sooooooo much more fun on the windy roads than the f150 lol.

Reactions: Boomba Racing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Looks like you got a good start on things. Maybe try a boomba short shifter or a shorter shift arm for a shorter shift after all of that to tighten the whole thing up! I don't know if you have messed with your suspension on your truck, but the ST is sooooooo much more fun on the windy roads than the f150 lol.
I have a third car: a supercharged Integra GSR that's been my previous fun car for stuff like that. It's been in time out for the past year+ though, I'm not sure when I'm going to get it up and running again.

This new car will get it's turn on twisty roads in just a few weeks for my annual trek to the Tail of the Dragon

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I see my issue w/ the f150, I only spent like 5k on my suspension for it, and it looks like I need about another 30k into it so it runs right! That is like my dream truck though, maybe one day!

Reactions: StevenST

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been REALLY disappointed in Steeda thus far, I understand they were busy over the holiday weekend with their sale and all, but their communication leaves a lot to be desired:

last Friday I ordered a set of jack rails from them, it's been 6 days since the order and I heard absolutely nothing about the order (except from my bank account, which nearly immediately was deducted the $$). I had to use their online chat this morning to find out they are backordered. Why wouldn't the site reflect that fact? Why wouldn't I get an email or phone call? Nope, just silence until I wondered what the hell was up and took action on my own.

On Monday I ordered the spring assist, I called them to see about adding it to the above order, was told I couldn't and also told then that the spring was backordered. I ordered it anyways, and I then received an email a few hours later from someone else at the company stating the delay. Again I don't understand why the lack of stock wasn't/isn't reflected on their website.

I did receive some goodies today for a weekend project:

Boosted Designs bushings for shifter and transmission cable, transmission ones look like a piece of cake, the shirter ones look like a royal pain in the ass, but we'll see!

bushings.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed:
- Shifter plate bushings and cable bushing (seemed to have helped some shifter loose-ness)
- Steeda clutch sping (meh: little difference, if any)
- Green air filter (more noise)
- Steeda Jack Rails (easier to jack up car!)
- 32mm grommet where the rear wiper used to be (never use, one less thing to get hung up in car wash)
- Homelink rearview mirror (needed!)

Going to be installing by next weekend:
- Thermal RD exhaust
- Rockblockz flaps
- Garmen Dash Cam 55

And then it's off to put the car through it's paces at the Tail of the Dragon the following week, I'm looking forward to some vacation time

parking_fixed.jpg

shift_bushings.JPG

rails_installed.jpg

rails_set.jpg

IMG_2461.JPG

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Looks good, the dragon should be a fun ride! A little disappointed to hear there isn't much change on the steeda spring as I am grabbing mine from the mailbox today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks good, the dragon should be a fun ride! A little disappointed to hear there isn't much change on the steeda spring as I am grabbing mine from the mailbox today.
I'm used to a super heavy clutch pedal (in my other car), so for this easy pedal in the ST, the spring made no difference (to me)

btw, when it comes to separation of the stock perch, this worked great for me!!

use a 1/4" ratchet extension and rubber mallet

·
Registered
696 Posts
Are those jack rails a simple bolt-on situation?

Nice ride, btw. I like what you've got going so far. Sub'd.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Can't wait to see when that exhaust goes on! I'm a little (more than a little) jealous about this one!

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another day, another use of the Steeda jack rails, another addition to the car: a set of Rally Armor flaps.

flaps_2.jpg

flaps_1.jpg

flaps_3.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today: took a few minutes and got the "Focus" badge off the back hatch.

Also gutted the interior as my friend who owns a tint shop is going to scrape off the crappy tint on the car and do it all right (and darker!). Thought I'd make it easy for him to accomplish this tomorrow.

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Today: took a few minutes and got the "Focus" badge off the back hatch.

Also gutted the interior as my friend who owns a tint shop is going to scrape off the crappy tint on the car and do it all right (and darker!). Thought I'd make it easy for him to accomplish this tomorrow.
QUICK. Go get some sound deadening and put in all over your doors and hatch while it is open. You won't want to do it again so do it now and the car will be MUCH quieter and the stereo will sound a decent amount better with no new speakers.

for tips besides threads on here about it.
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

1 - 20 of 37 Posts