Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1000 Mile review.

So, I’ve logged 1000 miles in the new ST and I figured I’d share my observations. ( not that anyone really cares).

Looks.
IMO the new one looks a little better than the old (’14) shape, everywhere except the horrendous back thingy. I used to like the old one better, but this new one has grown on me.
Interior
The flat bottomed wheel is cool as are the new A/C controls. To me the leather (ST3) feels softer than in my previous one. I don’t know if they used better leather, or it’s just my head; but the new seats feel a lot more supple. The leather on the ’14 seats was really hard and thick, and yes I used to condition it.
Sounds.
I can hear the turbo clearly whistle on the new one, the older one was quiet like a church mouse, just like the much maligned exhaust. Yes, it’s still too quiet.

Driveability.
Here’s where there’s a big difference, at least to me. The old car would take a set in turns and long sweepers and keep it. Unless I varied the throttle position to rotate it, or turned the steering wheel, it wouldn’t budge. To me it was very predictable in turns.
The new one, not so much. IMO the changes they made to the suspension made it a little skittish. I find I’m always adjusting the steering angle and god forbid there’s a bump mid turn. It gets pretty unsettled. I even got under it to make sure nothing was loose, and checked the air pressure.
Definitely not as confidence inspiring as the other. Can it just be me? Maybe, but I was surprised the first time I took this long sweeper that I take every morning. The ’14 was slot car perfect on that turn, changing lanes with no problem.
The ’14 (with the same OTS Stage 1 tune) would light up the traction control if I punched it in 2nd or 3rd. It only had 22k miles, so I’m wondering if the slightly worn tires are to blame. This one doesn’t even make it flicker. Maybe it’s the new tires.
I actually thinking that the new one maybe a touch slower. (flame suit on, I guess).
Well, that’s all I have for now. Sorry so long. Would love to know if I’m crazy or not, so post on up please.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The newer suspension is a bit stiffer. Stiffer suspension makes for faster transitions, but yes it can be upset more easily because it has sacrificed mechanical grip. Sometimes softer is better in the real world.

Additionally, and this applies to all your thoughts, your previous car had 22k miles and was essentially broken in. I think it takes at least 5-7k miles to both break in a car and personally get used to the nuances.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The newer suspension is a bit stiffer. Stiffer suspension makes for faster transitions, but yes it can be upset more easily because it has sacrificed mechanical grip. Sometimes softer is better in the real world.

Additionally, and this applies to all your thoughts, your previous car had 22k miles and was essentially broken in. I think it takes at least 5-7k miles to both break in a car and personally get used to the nuances.

I get what you're saying re: the break in, but it still seems slower than I thought. Who knows, you may be spot on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2016 / two months old / 4k miles.

Can't compare to 2014, but I found the suspension "skittish" and other observations as you said.
Upgraded to Mountune Clubsport. Transformed the car. Love it.

Enjoy yours!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also forgot to add that these HIDs fire alot quicker than the previous ones. At least on this car.

Am I crazy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts