Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy here with maybe a stupid question. I was looking at getting the both the waylens camera and Cobb accessport for daily driving and track days. The problem is that they both need access to the OBD2 port. Has anyone used obd2 splitters or is there another way around it. I really would like to keep both hooked up all the time for the camera and the accessport so I can record any idiots on the road and see real time tire pressures for daily drives (I live in Minnesota where the temp swings are massive). Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Also a noob here, looking to leave my AP and OBDLink MX connected at the same time. Going to order one of these to see if it works as intended: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3IIED0SWSCMAL
yes, you be the guinnea pig! I was wanting the same thing, so I could use OBD2AA and still keep my AP connected.

there is also this one, it's more like a T instead of a Y, so slightly less bulk.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01EWQA...nU&pd_rd_r=12973VAGRYWTVY69P3QY&pd_rd_w=CQVhz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey all, new guy here with maybe a stupid question. I was looking at getting the both the waylens camera and Cobb accessport for daily driving and track days. The problem is that they both need access to the OBD2 port. Has anyone used obd2 splitters or is there another way around it. I really would like to keep both hooked up all the time for the camera and the accessport so I can record any idiots on the road and see real time tire pressures for daily drives (I live in Minnesota where the temp swings are massive). Thanks for your help.
I tried connecting both the Cobb Accessport and a ScanTool OBDLink MX Wi-Fi using a Diageng Ultra Low Profile OBD II Splitter Cable and the Accessport couldn't connect.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I'd imagine this won't work. I don't think the ECU is configured for two channel OBD2 output. I could be wrong, but I just don't see this working.

You may get it to work on two OBDII devices that ONLY read, but that will vary from car model to car model.
Yeah I don't think it's a system intended to be split since it isn't only being read. Real time data is sent and received along that channel and it's for diagnostic purposes technically. This would be a one or the other kind of situation.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just doing a quick google search it seems like some people have had success with the splitters but it's dependent on your vehicle and also what devices you are using.

I read through a couple other forums and some people were using a splitter with a tuner and a diagnostic bluetooth reader and it was working. But in that case you have one reading the vehicle only and one reading and sending info to vehicle. It seemed like there was more unsuccessful attempts than successful attempts.
Idk how your specific devices would work or if Ford/Focus allows it but the camera I would think would only read the vehicle??

Idk, might be something you just need to try, splitter is less than $20 on Amazon.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just doing a quick google search it seems like some people have had success with the splitters but it's dependent on your vehicle and also what devices you are using.

I read through a couple other forums and some people were using a splitter with a tuner and a diagnostic bluetooth reader and it was working. But in that case you have one reading the vehicle only and one reading and sending info to vehicle. It seemed like there was more unsuccessful attempts than successful attempts.
Idk how your specific devices would work or if Ford/Focus allows it but the camera I would think would only read the vehicle??

Idk, might be something you just need to try, splitter is less than $20 on Amazon.
The problem i see with this, is what happens when that bluetooth reader decides to try to send a request to the ECU, like clear codes or ask it to pull codes from history. I'm assuming the device connection will be lost but it's kinda playing with fire.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you're crafty and good with a soldering iron, maybe you could connect a splitter with a toggle so only one is connected at a time. Then you could change which one is being used... literally with the flip of a switch.

EDIT: Like this guy did!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
If you're crafty and good with a soldering iron, maybe you could connect a splitter with a toggle so only one is connected at a time. Then you could change which one is being used... literally with the flip of a switch.

EDIT: Like this guy did!
I would be absolutely freaking terrified to mess with my OBD2 port like this. Issues with computer caused by messing with it...or issues unrelated come up and your OBD2 port is broken? Yeah NOPE..not for my commitment level hahaha.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"Oh, I'm sure it's not that bad!" said the guy who re-wired the wiring harness on his '82 Yamaha from scratch and converted all the lights to LED and the speedo/tach to an all digital setup. :wink:

That's a basic, single-pole toggle, so he's probably got the power connected through it. He probably took a basic splitter, cut it open, found the power line, and re-routed it so only one end gets power. All the other wires are probably connected at all times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That toggle switch idea goes beyond what I wanted to do so far. All mods I'm looking at making for now are either easily removed or from ford performance so my warranty stays intact. I do want to know how that splitter works toneloc427. Everything I've seen is that waylens is a read only device, so maybe it will work.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yup,

I Just want to connect myAccessport and use a bluetooth OBD2 code reader to sync to my phone for OBD2AA.
I think it might work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts