Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a bunch of new exhausts and basically came to a decision with Borla/FRPP.

I dont plan on putting a tune on my car, so I'm not looking for any performance gains. And now, the ~$750 is starting to look a lot larger for just a sound upgrade. I'm considering maybe removing the resonator off the stock exhaust system, but I'm not sure how that sound would compare? I know I like the FRPP exhaust sound.

My question is, with the muffler delete what kind of sound can I expect (compared to the FRPP). And would it still be legal in my state, CA? Is there a lot of drone issues with a muffler delete (i've read FRPP is good at avoiding drones on the highway).

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd say try to look for a used one if you can, or you could always do a resonator delete. it's cheaper than a muffler and sound similar.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
One possible route could be to delete the muffler and then if you dont like that, delete the resonator and add in an aftermarket muffler to the stock piping. It would be cheaper but might be harder to aim for FRPP sound.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
I've been looking at a bunch of new exhausts and basically came to a decision with Borla/FRPP.

I dont plan on putting a tune on my car, so I'm not looking for any performance gains. And now, the ~$750 is starting to look a lot larger for just a sound upgrade. I'm considering maybe removing the resonator off the stock exhaust system, but I'm not sure how that sound would compare? I know I like the FRPP exhaust sound.

My question is, with the muffler delete what kind of sound can I expect (compared to the FRPP). And would it still be legal in my state, CA? Is there a lot of drone issues with a muffler delete (i've read FRPP is good at avoiding drones on the highway).

Thanks!
As far as I am aware, anything you do to the factory exhaust is illegal in California unless you get CARB approval or purchase an exhaust that is CARB approved.

·
Registered
455 Posts
As far as I am aware, anything you do to the factory exhaust is illegal in California unless you get CARB approval or purchase an exhaust that is CARB approved.
Post cat you wont have to worry about carb. Carb is only concerned about parts that control emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Post cat you wont have to worry about carb. Carb is only concerned about parts that control emissions.

I'm not sure either way; I do know that aftermarket parts vendors had to get CARB approval for pretty much everything, even intake tubes, before they could be sold in California.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Correct, all aftermarket parts require a CARB OE number. Generally, anything after the cats does get an OE number so long as the manufacturer submitted it for approval but they do require an OE number nonetheless.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know FRPP is certified for CA emissions...and according to @fordboi415, a muffler/resonator delete will still be okay because it is after the cat?

Anybody have in-person experience with the FRPP exhaust compared to a muffler/resonator delete from stock? Recommendations?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I know FRPP is certified for CA emissions...and according to @fordboi415, a muffler/resonator delete will still be okay because it is after the cat?

Anybody have in-person experience with the FRPP exhaust compared to a muffler/resonator delete from stock? Recommendations?
Heres a list of what will require an EO or Carb#, if its not on that list, like catback exhausts, then it does not require an EO or carb#.. I had to deal with a bunch of Bar refs when getting the motor swap approved on my truck here in SoCal so I had to figure out what aftermarket parts on my truck would need #s, luckily only my headers and intake required it. They couldnt care less about catbacks.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the rear muffler delete and love it. Here’s a quick clip i took over the weekend. Also have the K&N typhoon intake kit which was on it when I bought it. No BOV either. That sound is strictly from the intake you are hearing also. Yes there is drone on the hwy from 70mph and up. Below that it’s not to bad. It’s not unbearable either, music cancels out a lot of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the rear muffler delete and love it. Here’s a quick clip i took over the weekend. Also have the K&N typhoon intake kit which was on it when I bought it. No BOV either. That sound is strictly from the intake you are hearing also. Yes there is drone on the hwy from 70mph and up. Below that it’s not to bad. It’s not unbearable either, music cancels out a lot of it.

wow that K&N intake sounds great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
With this kit on a '17, does it have the sensor location as it is supposed to be? Or do you have to adapt it?
If you are referring to my intake, mine is on a 2014 so not sure about the 2017 but I’m sure it’s the same setup. Here’s a pic for reference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm also under the impression that a muffler delete will give you more of a deep bassy tone and a resonator delete will be more raspy and throaty with more turbo sound.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm also under the impression that a muffler delete will give you more of a deep bassy tone and a resonator delete will be more raspy and throaty with more turbo sound.
You are correct. I honestly think it's the perfect sound. Yes there is some drone at certain RPM's, but like i said earlier it's nothing unbearable and music drains it out nicely.The combo of the muffler delete and intake when you go WOT is unbelievable sounding. It absolutely SCREAMS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are correct. I honestly think it's the perfect sound. Yes there is some drone at certain RPM's, but like i said earlier it's nothing unbearable and music drains it out nicely.The combo of the muffler delete and intake when you go WOT is unbelievable sounding. It absolutely SCREAMS.
Not to derail/hijack but I made a post about doing a resonator delete and the piping has become an issue because of the inlet and outlet sizes. What do you think it would sound like if you replaced the muffler with say a Pypes M80 or a Dynomax Bullet? I'm way over the days of drone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not to derail/hijack but I made a post about doing a resonator delete and the piping has become an issue because of the inlet and outlet sizes. What do you think it would sound like if you replaced the muffler with say a Pypes M80 or a Dynomax Bullet? I'm way over the days of drone.
I’m sure that would cut down on a lot of the drone Bc you would be putting a muffler back on there. I bet it would still sound great also. You could even remove the mid resonator and then do a custom muffler in the back and I bet that would sound great also. I actually bought mine from a local dealership and it already had the intake on it and the muffler deleted. I commute 35 miles each way to work daily and it doesn’t bother me. I know what bad drone is also, used to have a 2007 tundra with the 5.7 V8 with a spintech exhaust And that thing droned BADDD to the point i would get headaches lol. That didn’t last long..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts