Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking at getting mudflaps/guards for my 16 ST.

I don't want it to look too ricey like the Rally armor ones. Something more generic like regular OEM mudflaps.

My question is.. what would you recommend, and also, how is the installation process? Do they have to be screwed into the wheel well? Because i would hate to have to remove them everytime i take the wheel well covers off.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
313 Posts
ZL1 Addons rock guards should fit the bill. They're a bit small compared to a traditional mud flap but they will give extra protection from slinging rocks/gravel that could chip your paint.

Installation is easy. Fronts can be done in like 5 minutes without taking wheels off (just turn the wheel to get clear access on either side). Uses OEM retention clips. Rears are easiest if you remove the wheels, and will require screwing into the wheel well liner for a secure fit. All necessary hardware is provided. How often are you planning on taking the wheel well covers off? I feel like that wouldn't be done so frequently as to consider this a burden... if it is then I'm not sure what kind of mudflaps you're going to find that will suit your needs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZL1 Addons rock guards should fit the bill. They're a bit small compared to a traditional mud flap but they will give extra protection from slinging rocks/gravel that could chip your paint.

Installation is easy. Fronts can be done in like 5 minutes without taking wheels off (just turn the wheel to get clear access on either side). Uses OEM retention clips. Rears are easiest if you remove the wheels, and will require screwing into the wheel well liner for a secure fit. All necessary hardware is provided. How often are you planning on taking the wheel well covers off? I feel like that wouldn't be done so frequently as to consider this a burden... if it is then I'm not sure what kind of mudflaps you're going to find that will suit your needs.
Thanks for the recommendation. These look very nice. I am mainly worried about down the road having to replace suspensions down the road and any other maintenance requiring them to be taken off. they look rather small, i wonder if they do their job properly...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. These look very nice. I am mainly worried about down the road having to replace suspensions down the road and any other maintenance requiring them to be taken off. they look rather small, i wonder if they do their job properly...
Gotcha. They're very easy to install and thus would be very quick and easy to remove. Just a few plastic retention clips and/or some screws/spacers on each rock guard.

As for effectiveness, I can't comment as I haven't had mine all too long, but I definitely do hear rocks/gravel/sand hitting the rock guards when I'm driving. They surely won't be as effective as a mud flap would be, but they're much more discreet and give (IMO) a cleaner look, so some protection with them is better than none.

I haven't come across any other good middle-ground option between these and the rally style mud flaps (e.g., Rokblokz and Rally Armor).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha. They're very easy to install and thus would be very quick and easy to remove. Just a few plastic retention clips and/or some screws/spacers on each rock guard.

As for effectiveness, I can't comment as I haven't had mine all too long, but I definitely do hear rocks/gravel/sand hitting the rock guards when I'm driving. They surely won't be as effective as a mud flap would be, but they're much more discreet and give (IMO) a cleaner look, so some protection with them is better than none.

I haven't come across any other good middle-ground option between these and the rally style mud flaps (e.g., Rokblokz and Rally Armor).
Thank you, I havent either. Those seem to be the best but i am going to wait to see if anyone else has other recommendations. I mainly want them for gravel/dirt roads, and during the winter for snow/salt

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
i have had the ZL1 guards for about 1.5 years now. regardless of if you have the ZL1's or the larger Rokblockz/RA the side of your car/rear will still get hella dirty. i will say though that these are just large enough (especially in the front) to protect the side from the occasional tossed pebble in the road. they are just enough to look a bit more aggressive (and functional) but subtle enough where if you don't actually look for them you will miss them. the install is extremely easy and the front can be installed without taking off the wheels. removal for maintenance is extremely easy as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thank you, I havent either. Those seem to be the best but i am going to wait to see if anyone else has other recommendations. I mainly want them for gravel/dirt roads, and during the winter for snow/salt
Another potential option you could try, if you're okay with a DIY fit versus buying something ready-made, is to try buying some molded splash guards designed for Focus hatchbacks and doing a slight tweak to make it fit on our ST where needed a la this thread: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-appearance/5855-focus-se-moulded-mud-flaps-st.html

Item: FIT FOR 2012-2016 FORD FOCUS MK3 5DR MUD FLAPS SPLASH GUARDS MUDGUARD HATCHBACK | eBay

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a TB ST, and went with some black rokblokx with red lettering. I like them, and the price was right compared to Rally Armor.
Did you go with the short or regular? Also are you on stock height? I also have a TB ST and want the black with red lettering but don't know if the shorts would look weird since I'm not lowered. I haven't seen anyone do a comparison between the short and regular on the same car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am stock height, and I did the regular... kinda kicking myself a bit. I live in a condo building with underground parking so there is a decent angled ramp to get in and out, and they drag everytime I am going back in. Have caught them dragging a bit even when you go through an on ramp a little faster than you should.

For what it counts for how much road rash they have taken they are holding up far better than I would have expected, but if I could do it again would likely do shorties just to eliminate the drag.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I am stock height, and I did the regular... kinda kicking myself a bit. I live in a condo building with underground parking so there is a decent angled ramp to get in and out, and they drag everytime I am going back in. Have caught them dragging a bit even when you go through an on ramp a little faster than you should.

For what it counts for how much road rash they have taken they are holding up far better than I would have expected, but if I could do it again would likely do shorties just to eliminate the drag.
You can trim them you know. Just align both rear together and make one straight snip and you'd have shorter flaps lol. I imagine that would be a pretty basic modification process. I might consider doing it to mine just slightly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can trim them you know. Just align both rear together and make one straight snip and you'd have shorter flaps lol. I imagine that would be a pretty basic modification process. I might consider doing it to mine just slightly.
Story checks out. Don't do it because I am lazy... and minimum 12 hour work days right now, so pretty much just work and sleep.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Story checks out. Don't do it because I am lazy... and minimum 12 hour work days right now, so pretty much just work and sleep.
I understand. With my commute I have 10 hour days Mon-Fri and go to the gym 3 of those days during the week after work so I go home eat and go to sleep usually lmao

1 - 16 of 16 Posts