Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my axle back installed at a local exhaust shop, and I must say..I do NOT like the way it sounds. It's way louder than I expected under medium to hard acceleration and decel from 4K rpm to 2500 is very loud. Is there a way to make it quieter ? Any better options before I take it back and have them re weld the stock muffler back ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
/Looks up an MRT Axle Back.

Why on gods green earth would anyone think that is a good idea?

Now to help you, you can have your exhaust shop install a small external diameter straight through muffler after your resonator, or glass pack, this would bring your final exhaust level down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Now to help you, you can have your exhaust shop install a small external diameter straight through muffler after your resonator, or glass pack, this would bring your final exhaust level down.
Haha biggest regret so far on my ST. I will consider that. Thoughts on cutting losses and putting the stock muffler back ? Anyone want to buy an MRT axle back ? Lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you have the resonator deleted also? With the resonator it shouldn't be that loud. But yeah, it's a straight pipe and idk what you expected when you bought it lol. Of course it'll be loud.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Holy crap! $375 for bent piping that's only axel back??? Thats more than I paid for my CNT racing cat back exhaust!!! And you'd probably be happier with the CNT! lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Holy crap! $375 for bent piping that's only axel back??? Thats more than I paid for my CNT racing cat back exhaust!!! And you'd probably be happier with the CNT! lol
I'm glad I saw this thread pop up. I've only seen a few videos of each and was split cause they seemed to sound the same? But the idea of a full bolt on system that isn't obnoxious is way better than having to hack the stock pipes and be unhappy... Definitely looking at CNT now!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread pop up. I've only seen a few videos of each and was split cause they seemed to sound the same? But the idea of a full bolt on system that isn't obnoxious is way better than having to hack the stock pipes and be unhappy... Definitely looking at CNT now!
IMO its not obnoxious at all. It gets pretty throaty when you mash on it but thats what I wanted. Highway cruising and light acceleration I can hardly tell its even there. Not loud on start up or idling and pretty much no drone! It was a win all the away around in my book especially for the price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
imo its not obnoxious at all. It gets pretty throaty when you mash on it but thats what i wanted. Highway cruising and light acceleration i can hardly tell its even there. Not loud on start up or idling and pretty much no drone! It was a win all the away around in my book especially for the price.
this, i want this

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
So I just got my axle back installed at a local exhaust shop, and I must say..I do NOT like the way it sounds. It's way louder than I expected under medium to hard acceleration and decel from 4K rpm to 2500 is very loud. Is there a way to make it quieter ? Any better options before I take it back and have them re weld the stock muffler back ?

I liked mine at first, but eventually the resonator began to deteriorate a bit so I replaced it with a straight through magnaflow. It sounds nice.

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's not a muffler. You basically did a muffler delete and added piping with a capped pipe to help de-tune the sound to a certain frequency. Compared to stock, it is louder, but not drastically so. Compared to my Roush 3" cat back exhaust, it is 50% more quiet. So if you aren't able to handle the noise from this piece, either do as suggested and add a muffler back into the system, or put the stock muffler back on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I didn't know what to expect honestly. Maybe I should've rode in a local ST with different variations of exhaust setups. I may just go back to stock at this point. It isn't unbearable but just not how I wanted it to sound. Darn you YouTube clips.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Youtube is only good for exhaust when you have a good sound system/headphones. Even then they are worthless when filmed with a cell phone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Youtube is only good for exhaust when you have a good sound system/headphones. Even then they are worthless when filmed with a cell phone.
Good word of advice. Out of this whole situation I HOPE to make wiser choices especially with my mods to my car. Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I understand the issue with the sound. I had the MRT on my 2010 Camaro & I hated it. Way too much drone under acceleration where you couldn't talk to the passenger. I didn't want much sound at all on the ST so I went with the Mountune exhaust & down pipe. Not everyone's favorite but it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My CNT video, shot with a Canon Powershot camera. Just a bit louder than my bone stock Caliber SRT4 was. I really like it. $375 for a full stainless cat back...really happy with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3eu1hMjbeIA
yeah... you're video is probably the best sounding out of the others i've heard. pretty much cemented my exhaust choice at this point, unless somebody wants to pay the other half of the greddy for me.... :haha:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My CNT video, shot with a Canon Powershot camera. Just a bit louder than my bone stock Caliber SRT4 was. I really like it. $375 for a full stainless cat back...really happy with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3eu1hMjbeIA
Thanks for the video man good stuff. I may look into that option. I still want some sound but I want it to be stealthy. Right now I don't even want to get on the throttle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand the issue with the sound. I had the MRT on my 2010 Camaro & I hated it. Way too much drone under acceleration where you couldn't talk to the passenger. I didn't want much sound at all on the ST so I went with the Mountune exhaust & down pipe. Not everyone's favorite but it's perfect for me.
Is the mountune setup really quiet ? I've heard good things about it but that price always drove me in another direction. Really don't know what to do here. Stock back on...full cat back...turbo back..??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts